+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Ruth's Chris Steak House is my favorite.
    Agreed! I also like Texas Land and Cattle. I usually have their baked sweet potato with the brown sugar sauce instead of a baked potato.

For Mexican food in Dallas, you can't beat Luna de Noche. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is even better. Great place for date night!

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Agreed! I also like Texas Land and Cattle. I usually have their baked sweet potato with the brown sugar sauce instead of a baked potato.

For Mexican food in Dallas, you can't beat Luna de Noche. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is even better. Great place for date night!
    I didn't want to list all of the steak places we go to but I also like TXLC, SaltGrass Steakhouse, and Sullivan's (downtown Austin). Then there was a smaller place called Haufbrau's in Pflugerville that was to die for, and they still have one downtown but not as good.

FORT Fogey
    The most memorable meal I've had at a restaurant recently has been at Chuy's in Austin. I still dream about that green tomatillo sauce! I spent a weekend in San Antonio and Austin, and had already been in love with the difference between Mexican food you eat in most of this country vs the fresh, REAL stuff you get in Texas when we went to Chuy's. Those chicken enchiladas just blew me away. I think I'm in love.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I really like Japonais (in Chicago, although I think one is going to open in NY soon). They make great sushi and have a variety of Asian fusion food. For steaks, I LOVE Wildfire or Morton's. For fast food, I love Jimmy John's sandwiches. They're always so fresh and tasty!

In New York, I ate at Tao 'cause it was supposed to be the hot happening place (Sex and the City had filmed there). The food was so-so but way overpriced.

One of the worst restaurants, to me, is this really trendy place in Wrigleyville called Penny's. They serve fake Asian noodle dishes (I guess I shouldn't call it fake, but rather Americanized) and I didn't like anything I tried there. Their Pad Siew had cinnamon in it and tasted more like French Toast than a Thai noodle dish. The waitress noticed that I ate hardly any of it and asked why? (Nosy much?) And I politely said, "I didn't care for the cinnamon." And then she got really defensive about it (like she made it or something), said all their other customers loved it, and then stalked off. I could see her then tell my story to her colleagues and they were all staring at me shaking their heads as if I had just ripped off a baby's head and eaten it. GEES LOUISE!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    For Mexican food, nothing beats Mario's in Huntington Beach (my hometown). It's always my first stop when I go home to visit.
    I love Mario's, and know exactly where it is. I lived in H.B. for several years in the 70's, and went there a lot.

Marri's Pizza Restaurant is a terrific hole-in-the-wall place near Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, that has the best pizza I've had, anywhere. It was our high school hangout, and I've returned everytime I've gone back to Disneyland. It's still the best ever.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    The most memorable meal I've had at a restaurant recently has been at Chuy's in Austin. I still dream about that green tomatillo sauce! I spent a weekend in San Antonio and Austin, and had already been in love with the difference between Mexican food you eat in most of this country vs the fresh, REAL stuff you get in Texas when we went to Chuy's. Those chicken enchiladas just blew me away. I think I'm in love.
    Actually I goofed, was thinking of Chuy's but typed El Arroyo! Wow - my bad. I love Chuy's too!

For Asian food, I love PF Chang's. Yes, there are smaller and more authentic Asian but I really loved PF Chang's.

I third Chuy's in Austin, awesome Tex Mex...also try out Gueros before you leave town. I haven't eaten at a Texas Roadhouse or Outback in years, I've found much better steaks in local places that are non chains. Outback consistently undercooks my steaks so wind up with raw, instead of medium. Speaking of chains though, the best steak I've ever had was at Ruth's Chris in Columbus Ohio. Best $150 we ever spent on dinner, the husband and I.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Actually I goofed, was thinking of Chuy's but typed El Arroyo! Wow - my bad. I love Chuy's too!

For Asian food, I love PF Chang's. Yes, there are smaller and more authentic Asian but I really loved PF Chang's.
    Boy, I wish we had a Chuy's. You all are making my mouth water! (I'm not a fan of PF Chang's--besides the unauthentic thing, the dishes just taste too salty to me.)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ITA - they put WAY too much pepper on their meat. It's like they're trying to hide something with all that seasoning.

I'm not really a fan of big chain restaurants, but I do like Mimi's every once in a while.

There's a little Greek place near my house that I LOVE. I'd eat there every day if I could. For Mexican food, nothing beats Mario's in Huntington Beach (my hometown). It's always my first stop when I go home to visit.
    I love Mimi's, but we don't have one near us, so I don't get to eat there often. Same with Macaroni Grill. Their chicken scalopini is to die for.
    I like Chili's a lot. Can't beat the prices and now I am in love with the 29 topping hamburgers, but I really like the fajitas.
    We have an authentic mexcian place here (La Esperanza) that is to die for and a Greek restaurant too. I will miss them both when we leave.
    I used to like Olive Garden, but damn, they have gotten so expensive and we always get crappy service there, so we don't go anymore.
    Sam Seltzers for steaks is good too.
    And I like Sonic drive ins for fast food and fountain drinks and onion rings.
    There's also a FANTASTIC bbq restaurant in my home town (Slim's Deep South BBQ) that I miss. I get to eat there a few times a year and I'm going to miss it too. Best potato salad in the world.

I'm not an Outback fan at all, but I do like Carrabas. They have a chicken dish I LOVE. Can't remember the name.

We also get good Cuban food when we visit family in Tampa. Lots of GREAT cuban resturants there.

Well, there isn't too much I don't like.

Well I don't eat at Waffle House (or Waffle Hut as we call it in reference to the Tom Hanks movie, The Ladykillers: "you brought your B*tch to the Waffle Hut???" Funniest part of the whole movie.)

I'm not crazy about Perkins either or Denny's.

I only like the pot roast hash and pot roast sandwich at Bob Evans. And their sausage gravy. Hashbrown casserole and fried okra at Cracker Barrel.

We don't eat a Pizza Hut anymore as we took our exchange student there for one of her first meals in America (she wanted to go) and we all got food poisening and she had it so bad I had to take her to the ER. Not a good experience.

I'm also going to miss this GREAT seafood restaurant on the water here that has the best grouper. They cook it with Parrot Bay Rum (coconut flavored) and it has diced shrimp, tomatoes and green onions as the topping. To DIE for. And they have great fresh oysters. Myakka River Oyster Bar. And they have $1.50 margaritas. Can't beat THAT! LOL!

As you can see, there is not too much I don't like. We have some favorite local restaurants and there are some chains I like.
    My hometown had this diner (Wheelers Goody Cafe) that has been in business 70 years in the same spot. The decor is original and the food is out of this world. Good old country cooking and peanut butter pie that will make you slap your mama. Kind of like the restaurant in Fried Green Tomatos
    And they serve collard greens that are almost as good as the ones I make.
    Don't get collards often. Some of you may not even know what they are.

Oh and there is an Amish enclave in the next town over and they have some great resturants with family style cooking and great pies.

Best restuarant in New Orleans: Gallitoires (I think is how its spelled). Have never eaten anywhere else there except Felix's oyster bar. And Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beignets.

Another great place on the water here serves fried alligator that is also good and I can tell you a few places in Key West that have conch fritters that are melt in your mouth good.

ATe at the Spinnaker in Sausalito in May and it was heavenly.

No really good pizza in Florida. It's all crap.

And our honey baked ham store has a cafe and you can get honey baked ham sandwiches. LOVE Honey baked ham, but can't afford to buy one, so have to settle for the sandwiches.

OK so I have listed practically every restaurant I have ever eaten in.

Don't know if this one is still there, but the Breakfast Club on Tybee Island near Savannah has the best pecan waffles. Oh and the Pirates House in Savannah is good too because they have a 15 page dessert menu.

There used to be this great restaurant where my husband took me on dates before we were married called The Magic Moment and the wait staff performed magic tricks. PUlled the menus out of hats, etc., you had to twist merlins crystal ball to get the wall to slide back to even enter the restaurant.

Oh and there is this blissful restuarant I have eaten in one time in Sarasota called Euphemia Hay. I just love the name, but its expensive, but divine food.

My daughter's middle name is Eugenia and I always said if we had a 2nd daughter I'd give her the middle name of Euphemia. Probably why I never had a 2nd daughter.

Panera Bread is good too and I adore Sushi but don't get it too often as I can't find a really good place. Our grocery store has a sushi chef and the stuff isn't bad and isn't expensive, but its not REALLY good sushi.
    Oh and love Beni Hana's too.

Well, sorry you asked?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie! Wow! What a great post!

I must be right behind you in the line to get into great Southern restaurants.

We hate Taco Bell (not that it is Southern) because we got food poisining there and both of us ended up in the ER (the morning that our new hardwood floors were to be installled - awful experience).

The "Whistle Stop Cafe" (famous for the Fried Green Tomato Movie) is very close to us. My parents eat there often and we go every once in awhile. They have wonderful fried chicken, collards and butter beans.

We also go to Outback a lot. My college roomate has four kids and her entire family loves that place. PF Changs is ok - lol - we had a bad experience with a reservation there a few years ago and haven't gone back since then. I haven't been to Chili's in a few months, but I am going to have to give that hamburger topping thing a try!

We love Chik-Fil-A for fast food - great chicken biscuits and sandwiches. We also have a great place called Hamburger Heaven which has wonderful burgers and the best milkshakes ever!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast