+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silly weather prediction question

Silly weather prediction question

I was listening to the radio this morning and some guy called in to talk about the weather, He had called before the region was buried in 28 inches of snow saying that the squirrels in his yard were going crazy getting food, so he knew we were in for a big storm.

They are calling for more snow and today he said the squirrels are once again going crazy. He thinks we're in for a "significant" amount.

Do you all think we can watch the animals and somewhat predict what the weather will be?

I told you it was a silly question
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I totally think animals can tell when we're in for a weather change.

And my aunt & uncle have correctly predicted winters with lots of snow in this area for several years, because they have oak trees. In the fall before bad winters, they say there are so many acorns, and they're so big, that it's impossible to keep up with getting them out of the yard. It's always a sign of a tough winter.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I'd guess so. Animals depend on the weather for their survival much more than we do; it would be natural for them to be more sensitive about it than we are.

I hate servere weather cause Its hard to drive in
    Peace

Princess
    Originally posted by John
    And my aunt & uncle have correctly predicted winters with lots of snow in this area for several years, because they have oak trees. In the fall before bad winters, they say there are so many acorns, and they're so big, that it's impossible to keep up with getting them out of the yard. It's always a sign of a tough winter.
    Interesting, John. It's a saying of old in Sweden that when there is lots of berries on the rowan (forest ash), it's a sign of a harsh winter to come. Someone just made a study of that one, and found no correlation whatsoever. They found that the amount of berries is rather related to the weather that has been than the weather to come. I have to say that I find that more plausible than the other way round.
    Now, re. animals being able to predict bad weather coming - sure, I think they might be more sensitive to changes in pressure, but mind you that those changes don't necessarily mean that the weather is going to be harsh for a prolonged period of time.
    I think it's like always - we tend to remember the times when events coincide, and forget when they don't. For example, how many times haven't you noticed a word for the first time, and then suddenly see it everywhere right after that?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    This thread just makes me think of Punxsutawney Phil!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Modesty
    For example, how many times haven't you noticed a word for the first time, and then suddenly see it everywhere right after that?
    Haha, good point, Mod. I thought I was the only person that happened to. (Kind of goes back to one of the first posts I ever made at the FoRT, about how if you catch a show in syndication you NEVER watch, and catch it again six months later, I bet you anything it's the SAME EPISODE. Got a couple of FoRTers agreeing with me on that one.)

Whenever I see a word popping up over and over again, I always chalked it up to Jung's "collective unconscious."

phat32

(And THAT is why I love the FoRT--where else can I discuss Jung and the downhill slide of The Simpsons in the same evening?)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

My dog tried predicting the weather but his paws couldn't grip the tarot cards well enough and the turban kept falling down in his eyes.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

My grandfather, who was a farmer amoung other things, was often pretty good at forecasting if it was going to be a hard winter. And it was done by looking at how soon the geese/ducks flew south, something about caterpillers, squarrels etc etc. I'm sure there is something to it all, but a lot of it is guess work (which in my opinion is what weather predicting still is at times)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Hey I missed the Jung discussion ! Where ?
    *holds hand up - I know Jung - pick me*

I don't know about the animals in general but our dog seems to know when its really cold before the door is opened ,and has to pushed out the door. Of course he doesn't really know he's a dog, so I guess that doesn't count.

+ Reply to Thread