+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Sadly, mrd, it is not just the younger generation. I have met plenty of people over the years my own age or older who also profess not to read. Personally, I never leave the house without money, keys, hard candy, chapstick, water and a book. Never. Not even to go to the variety store. I mean, what if some sort of robbery took place while I was there and I had to sit and wait for the cops? How would I fill my time.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Rattus, you and me, both! Got to carry the book with me, in case I'm stuck in a line of traffic that has blocked up the road I'm taking and waiting is my only option. When I would take my book to the optometrist for the wait, I became known as 'my reader' by the contact lens lady. I swear, I think it got me special treatment! If I take a book to an appointment, I usually have no wait; if I don't, the wait is forever...and I don't really do magazines.

I'm not a huge fan of huge (600-800 pages) books, ever since I trudged through one, and the ending was a HUGE disappointment!!! I was, majorly, pissed!! That book is still in the trunk of my car, after several years! The book was really good until I got to the end.

The kids at the center are always saying that they don't like to read. I tend to want to blame the parents who probably don't read, either. I had a coworker with 4 children who didn't like to read, either, but we helped her find what she liked to read, and now she's non-stop! She put several of us to shame!

I introduced my son to books on tape, years ago, and that was fun. We'd listen to them when we drove around doing errands; I'd listen to mine when I was doing housework (I listen and talk back to them. It's a blast!) He got to the point where he'd check out 3-4 books at a time, and be reading all of them at the same time. I have no idea where that ability came from...not his mother. Today, college boy won't be caught reading a book he doesn't have to read for school...and I'm not too sure about then, even.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In all honesty, I don't usually care to read much beyond the morning newspaper and a couple of on-line forums. I'll get on a reading jag once in a while (my ex's little girl somehow came up with 43 Goosebump books and I've been working my way through them) but for the most part, I can take or leave reading.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

We all know that men don't like to read directions, in particular!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I have a book with me about 90% of the time. I have 3 books going at the same time right now. One is a definitive history of Pearl Harbor, so I have to take a break from it from time to time.
    But I'm like you guys. I hate to wait and I love to read, so I typically have something to read if I know I'll be waiting. I keep magazines in the car so I have something fairly short to read for those occasions I get stuck in traffic, etc.

Rattus, I had to laugh at your scenario about having a book in case the store gets robbed.

Kids do what they see their parents do and as a parent, I read, I read to my child and I made books available to her and still do.

Newf, as my husband has gotten older, he is reading less books and more magazines and newspapers. He said he's having a harder time now because of his glasses and not being able to see without them and not being real comfortable wearing them for long periods of time. But when he does get a book, he does NOTHING else but read. It's almost like going in the opposite direction. I read a lot, but I don't usually get obsessed with it like he can.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I always have at least one book going at a time. I like to switch it up between fiction and nonfiction. My sons started out not enjoying reading and I was plotzing over it. I got them turned on to S King and the rest is history. The other day I saw my youngest reading Nora Roberts! Who'd a thunk it? They also enjoyed the Harry Potter series. We'd all pass around the books as we got done reading.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i've never been one to enjoy reading books, but then i figured out what kind i enjoy, and now it's not a problem. i was trying to read stuff that didn't interest me and got bored quicky. i love biographies or autobiographies of people that i'm fascinated with.

my reading choices usually end up being magazines and news articles. they're nice and short and don't take a lot of time.

my daughter, on the other hand LOVES to read and is always reading SOMETHING. she definitely got that from her dad, because he always had a book around. when he'd come over to pick her up, while waiting for her to come out to the car, he'd be reading. he reads while in the drive thru. i'm happy that my daughter picked up the love for reading like she did.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3164718;
    We all know that men don't like to read directions, in particular!
    Hey HEY HEY!!

Every time I go on Amazon, I think I want a Kindle. But the fact of the matter is I really like books.
    Count your blessings!

I've always been a reader, I always have at least one book going, usually two. I'm also very into books on cd or tape, they make doing housework much more interesting.

There is hope for young people who don't like reading. I have several friends that probably never picked up a book during their twenties that have turned into big readers now that they are in their thirties.

+ Reply to Thread