+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6169Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3159216;
    I just read the headline, Georgia surrounds breakaway city, rebels defiant, and was thinking of the USA state of Georgia, not the country of Georgia.
    i have a good friend in atlanta and when i read that, i thought the same thing!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3159726;
    Why can't people just make sure they have the money before buying something?
    i don't think that's the issue discussed in the article. with a debit card, you usually can't spend more than you have in your account ... at least with mine, i can't. and i like it that way. but i discovered this issue two years ago when i had $50 still in my bank and i went to get gas, just for my card to be denied at THREE different gas stations.

i ended up calling the bank and was told those stations put a $75 'pre-authorization' on a debit card when you use it, which explained why my card was denied. i only wanted $20 in gas and had plenty of money in there, but not enough to cover the pre-authorization.

ever since then, when it comes to getting gas, i use my debit card as credit card. it takes a few more days for it to clear, but that's okay, because at least i know my card is accepted whether i have $10 or $100 in there, and i keep very good records of every puchase i make with it anyway.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 08-09-2008 at 09:20 AM.

I use MS Money to track all our spending so even if the online account shows one balance, I know the Money program is accurate. It really has been a budget saver for us. We can track our spending and when money is tight it's easy to see where we can cut back. When it comes time to do taxes, everything is already itemized into categories. Every month I balance the statement with it to make sure I didn't miss anything. Plus it helps when you need to go back and find a transaction that happened a year ago if need be.

There's also Quicken and other programs as well. I highly recommend everyone track their spending this way. It really takes the guess work out of how much is actually in your account. Just be sure to backup the program regularly (I use a jump drive) in case your computer zonks out on you! I've had that happen more than once unfortunately.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3160636;

i ended up calling the bank and was told those stations put a $75 'pre-authorization' on a debit card when you use it, which explained why my card was denied. i only wanted $20 in gas and had plenty of money in there, but not enough to cover the pre-authorization.
    Okay I understand that part and could never figure out why the gas station that I've used never had that problem. I found out that they never debit even if a debit card, they automatically use it as a credit card.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3160596;
    So my first day went really, really, really well. I enjoyed it immensely. It was a lot easier than I expected (I had to learn some computer programs I have not normally had to use), and learn how to close down the museum (LOTS of light switches and things to turn off). But I also got to talk to lots of visitors and make a gift basket, for the gift shop, so that was fun.
    I think I'm going to like this. I don't know why I was so nervous. There are a LOT of little things that I got asked to do, so I will stay busy, so that's good. I hate not being busy.
    Sounds kind of like when you've got to get a shot from the doctor. The shot is never as bad as you've got it built up in your mind that it's going to be. Glad it went well.

(Now, if they'd just put you on phones for about 3 days straight, you'd get over that hump, too! )
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

The phone thing was the first thing they taught me. Once I could actually SEE the phone system instead of having to see it upside down from the other side of the big desk, I could handle it. And I had my glasses on! Always a big help.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3160616;
    It's in the mid 50's here and only supposed to get up to the mid 70's. I'm sitting here with my warmest hoodie on and the window open. I'm trying really hard not to go on and on about the Neti Pot experience. I'm am just amazed at the lack of daily symptoms I had been putting up with and medicating.
    Amazing, isn't it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I hate it when I catch something I mis-wrote and it's too late to correct it. "I'm am amazed..." The other day I wrote "to" instead of "too". Heh. I guess if that's my worst problem today, I'm doing ok.
    Count your blessings!

ACF-the MS money sounds great. Is it a software program?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3160819;
    ACF-the MS money sounds great. Is it a software program?
    It's a special program in which once a week Bill Gates shows up with a wheel barrow full of money at your door.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread