+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6965Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3153898;
    Amy Lee, I just paid off my credit card through Citi.... they are morons and really upset me after 15 years of service they treated me like I had done something on purpose! I feel for you.
    I'm still steamed. But in the meantime i will look for a local number to Citi, i don't want to have to explain myself multiple times and then ask them to repeat.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Well I had a very interesting evening tonight. There was a private party that I worked. A young local filmmaker has done a documentary on a part of the county that is called "The Dark Corner". It is a section that is where the Blue Ridge Mountains start and it's right on the NC/SC line. It has a very rich history and the people are very "clannish" in that area. Very much a part of Appalachia. There are varying reasons it's called the Dark Corner, but one of the true stories is that during prohibition several "revenuers" disappeared after reporting that they were headed up there. They were never seen again.
    It was THE local moonshine making area. Lots of twisty roads, overgrown paths, hard to get to area. But really beautiful. I have been up there before.

Anyway, it's also a very colorful area with lots of interesting people as you can imagine. (and I've bought some of the BEST jams and preserves at a little mom and pop boiled peanut stand up there)

My job tonight was that I "bartended" which consisted of opening beer bottles and pouring wine and punch.

Well, one of the local residents comes to me and hands me a paper bag and whispers "use the dixie cups and only pour them 1/4 full".

I opened the bag and there is a quart jar and when I opened it, my eyes watered from the fumes. It was sure enough white lightnin'.

I was a little leary, but the person in charge, told me to go ahead. Well my table suddenly became the most popular table of the evening.
    Apparantly it is legal to serve if you don't sell it. Or so I was told. Don't really know if this was true. But it was a private party, and I was following directions of the person in charge.

I tried a small taste and I have to say it went down smooth, but the smell was STRONG!!! Much stronger than the flavor.

I've had moonshine before (it's been a while), but I have never been asked to serve it at a party before. And then about halfway through the evening, I was introduced to the maker of it who was quite colorful.

It was definetly an evening I won't soon forget.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Have to add to my last post. I just found out this morning, that what we were doing last night was actually legal. This particular still is licensed by the government. I did NOT know you could get a license to run a private still, but they can because it's used for "historic purposes". Learn something new every day.

So, on a scale of one to ten, how much was your head reeling after you little taste?

And do you still have your eyesight?

(. . . and how many men did you have to chase off with a baseball bat with that rockin' new 'do of yours?!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Laughing myself silly over the image in my head of you serving real moonshine. I think you should use that somehow in your food research.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

It wasn't the taste, but the fumes that got to me wafting up from the table that had my head reeling. That stuff was STRONG smelling. I had to keep the lid on the jar because it was strong. Glad no one lit a match near me. I had such a small taste, that it wasn't enough to even get light headed, but judging from the other patrons, it was potent stuff, I had to laugh at a couple that got real chatty as the evening progressed. But believe me a small taste was all I wanted. I can't believe that people actually drink this stuff.

Ellen, apparantly it wasn't my new do that was attracting the guys. I kept having to bend over to get beer out of the cooler on the floor and one of the staff finally told me that when I bent over, you could look down my shirt!!!!

Always nice to know when the evening is almost over that everyone's been getting a free shot and not of liquor!!

And yes I still have what little eyesight I have left. Apparantly with it being licensed, it's also inspected, so that the government can ensure its safe to drink.
    This particular gentlemen is a 4th generation moonshiner. Must know by now how to make it, I guess.

Chalk it up to another of my unique experiences.

Gut, I actually did come across quite a bit of moonshine history when I was researching my food lecture. I could have done a series of lectures there was so much information, so I didn't even touch on beverages, just food.
    But I think it might be interesting to do more research on this. Strictly for historical purposes, you know. :wink

We've had 100 proof alcohol from Mexico before and it is so intense and strong it makes your eyes hurt too! Once mr buglover thought it would do me some good after my tooth extraction to swish the alcohol and let me tell you that was not a good idea! It burned so badly I was crying!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Ok, how about if "'lil MRD" comes to our retirement home and does everyone's hair? She did such a nice job on mrd that I want her there. Of course, that's providing that she doesn't charge us $240 that she'll probably be able to get for a style!

And we can add a still in the back yard and pretend it's a sculpture!

Since all the gear for my dad's metal sculping is still in his workshop, we could make it look real fancy.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread