+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6984Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    OK, so new topic. Do you decorate for fall where you live and typically when do you decorate for it? (sorry, that was the only thing that I could thnk of. )

Since its labor day weekend which is the "official" end of summer, do you start now or wait until Oct.?

Do you put away your white shoes after labor day? I can remember my grandmother saying: You do NOT wear white after labor day. Who came up with that rule anyway?

I'm so excited about fall. This will be my first one. I mean first real one with changing leaves, cooler temps and apple picking. The only way you know its fall in Florida is that its football season and you still have to wear mosquito repellant to the high school games you attend in shorts and sandals and still sweat your um, butt off.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm not a fashionista so if I want to wear white all year, I do. I don't let some rule dictate what I like to wear.

I love the Fall, it's my favorite season. We don't get the really beautiful leave turning like some areas but we get some of it. What I hate is my backporch doesn't have an awning and my live oak tree drops so many leaves onto it that it's futile to even try and keep up with keeping the deck clear. And we track the leaves in. I keep bugging my husband to do something about it but that's pretty futile too.

I don't do too much decorating. I'll put some pumpkins on the porch in October. Last year I found a scarecrow at Michaels (craft store) but he faded so I'll probably get another one to put up in the yard.

Inisde, I like to burn fall scented candles like Apple Cinnamon. I love scented candles so if anyone knows of any great scents, let me know.

Has anyone seen those candles shaped like pies and smell just like real pies? Someone at our fleamarket sells them but I haven't bought one because they're too pretty to burn.

MRD
    Those pie candles are cool, but I wouldn't burn them either because of what you said.

I know this is more appropriate for the current events thread, but I stay out of there to attempt to stay out of trouble for my strong opinions, but...

The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin died. Fataly stung by a sting ray.

We LOVED his show

(sorry if this is not the appropriate place, but I am just stunned by this news, I really liked him)

And I found out Mike Douglas passed a couple weeks ago. I liked him too.
    I was in moving he** apparantly when that happened.

Rosie: There is a thread in the Current Events forum dedicated to the death of Steve Irwin. Feel free to post there any time! And don't worry: The Current Events forum is THE place for strong opinions.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

We get beautiful changing tree leaves here in Ohio. It's just gorgeous here in the Fall. I guess that's one reason we stay here..where the winters are soooo cold! We do like the changing seasons, though.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    OK, so new topic. Do you decorate for fall where you live and typically when do you decorate for it? (sorry, that was the only thing that I could thnk of. )

Since its labor day weekend which is the "official" end of summer, do you start now or wait until Oct.?
    myrosiedog - You are going to love fall!

I used to decorate like mad woman for Halloween. My whole porch would be draped in fake spider webs with little plastic spiders. Glow in the dark skeletons, ghosts hanging from the tree, I'd switch out the front porch light and put in a black light, and I carved about 5-6 pumpkins with those fancy patterns. Now that the kids are grown I don't do it anymore. Now I just set out some potted mums and pumpkins. I love fall, though, it's my favorite season.

I do like to decorate inside for fall, mostly with orange berry garlands and wreaths of autumn leaves that I make. This last year though, I've been awfully lazy because I still have some snowmen out and a Christmas garland on top of the bookcase.

Just this morning in the grocery store I saw those beautiful mailbox wraps..that you wrap your mailbox with. They were decorative fall ones!
    I've also looked online at mailbox wraps. Love the pumpkin ones.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    myrosiedog - You are going to love fall!

I used to decorate like mad woman for Halloween. My whole porch would be draped in fake spider webs with little plastic spiders. Glow in the dark skeletons, ghosts hanging from the tree, I'd switch out the front porch light and put in a black light, and I carved about 5-6 pumpkins with those fancy patterns. Now that the kids are grown I don't do it anymore. Now I just set out some potted mums and pumpkins. I love fall, though, it's my favorite season.

I do like to decorate inside for fall, mostly with orange berry garlands and wreaths of autumn leaves that I make. This last year though, I've been awfully lazy because I still have some snowmen out and a Christmas garland on top of the bookcase.
    Hey, you aren't lazy, just think of it as getting a head start on Christmas.

We used to go all out on Halloween too and I still have a lot of decorations, so we may again this year as it will seem more like Halloween. But my daughter is 15, so she's not that much into it anymore.

I decorate for every holiday. I have a twig tree that I have ornaments for New years, valentines, st. pat's, easter, 4th of july, halloween, thanksgiving and of course Christmas. Oh and birthday ornaments too when its a birthday in the family.

I love to decorate but was finding it a chore, maybe because my child is older or I'm just tired of doing it, but maybe the change of location and "real" seasons will perk me up to do it again.

But I cannot WAIT for fall here.

Thanks Marley.

Thanks Geek for the info about the Steve Irwin thread. I didn't want to really "talk" about it, just was so stunned to hear about it, ya know?

Well I have put off the sweeping and mopping long enough. I kept thinking someone else would do it, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm getting tired of the "I have homework" excuse everytime I ask my daughter to do something. This is usually after she's spent an hour on the computer on myspace and I know homework is important, but lately its all I hear and so she better start doing chores too or no more eating for her.
    Yesterdays sermon in church was: if you want to eat you have to work. Good slogan to use around here.

Now these darn dogs need to learn some chores to earn their kibble!

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    We get beautiful changing tree leaves here in Ohio. It's just gorgeous here in the Fall. I guess that's one reason we stay here..where the winters are soooo cold! We do like the changing seasons, though.
    I have many fond memories of autumn in Ohio. There was a huge sugar maple across the street from us that put on a glorious display every fall. The sweetgums, with their yellows, reds, and purples, lined the roads on which I cycled to and from OSU. Campus had a huge variety of trees, and so one never had to look far to see colors that Crayola could never copy.

Autumn in south-central Kansas, on the other hand, is pretty blah. Just about everything turns a dull yellow; the best hope for red is to find a patch of sumac or poison ivy. The wheat fields are usually an emerald green by late fall. It's pretty, but it just ain't right!

Darn it, now I'm homesick for the first time in 25 years.
    Last edited by Newfherder; 09-04-2006 at 01:38 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    myrosiedog,

I particularly love Yankee Candles. They come in jars, so you don't have to worry about ruining the appearance. I like them because they last a long time, and the fragrances are wonderfu!

Redwood Cedar, Harvest, Spiced Pumpkin, Macintosh Apple are a few of my Fall favorites. They have a huge selection to choose from. It's fun just to go on a sniffing trip! Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a decent selection, and if you have a Yankee store in your area...all the better!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread