+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6456Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

You guys get earthquakes far more often that we do down here. It was a little bit exciting because nothing ever happens to the extreme here. Our heat is never very hot, our cold never freezing and rain, not so much.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3148168;
    There are hundreds every year, and the vast majority can't be felt. But let more than a half-inch of rain fall? Mercy!
    Don't come South, at least if we're having a normal year. We've been having a cycle of less hot and humid weather the past few years, though; unfortunately there is a horrible drought going on too.
    MRD, if you remain in SC for a few years you will eventually feel an earthquake, most likely. They aren't exactly common, and they haven't been big enough to cause any damage recently, but we do feel one now and then. It kind of feels like a train is running right next to the house, making it quiver; when I happen to just be sitting around, especially at night,my first thought is always "Tornado!" I never felt it until I moved a little further North in GA, but usually feel one a couple of times a year now.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My brother lives in Evansville, IN, and last year sometime (I think) they had a small earthquake out there with a few aftershocks. A few things fell off of the junk pile on his desk, but that's about it. He was all excited about it because it was a switch from the tornadoes and floods.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3148433;
    In San Francisco it is never hot except for a few days out of the year when we have heatwaves that last maybe 2-3 days at the most. They were far and few between but with all the weather changes, we have had many more heatwaves than usual. So, when we would have a really hot, still day we would call it earthquake weather.
    That's what my SIL told us, luvsginger. When we were out in there in 98, we had been in SF for a few days before heading down to SJB. It was so hot in SF the few days that we were there. I've been to SF about a dozen times and never felt the heat like that before. Next day....we had the earthquake.

My brother was driving home from work when the Loma Prieta quake occurred. At first he thought something happened to one of his tires and he had trouble keeping the car in control. Then the radio station went out. He pulled over, looked at the tires, and realized what was happening. His wife wasn't home yet from work either, so they were pretty frantic trying to get to their neighbors house to pick up their daughter. I remember he could call us in NY but couldn't get through to his daughters in San Diego and relatives up in Seattle. So he had us call them to tell them everyone was safe and their house was okay.

Funny, isn't it, that cell phones were not around back then. They probably wouldn't work in the event of an earthquake anyway.

On the news tonight, when they were talking about today's quake, they showed what happened inside Judge Judy's courtroom as well as what happened to the hamsters on Big Brother!

Are you referring to the 89 earthquake? Sounds like my experience, I really thought there was something wrong with my car! I don't know if you all remember but the World Series was on that night and it was between the Giants and the A's. They're both local teams right across the bridge from each other. As I mentioned, I was a juror on a murder trial, I was pregnant with my first child and then this HUGE earthquake, boy what a year! Even with all the earthquakes I wouldn't change living in SF for anywhere in the world! Earthquakes in SF are nothing compared to the daily earthquakes I experienced in Tokyo!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3148756;
    Don't come South, at least if we're having a normal year. We've been having a cycle of less hot and humid weather the past few years, though; unfortunately there is a horrible drought going on too.
    MRD, if you remain in SC for a few years you will eventually feel an earthquake, most likely. They aren't exactly common, and they haven't been big enough to cause any damage recently, but we do feel one now and then. It kind of feels like a train is running right next to the house, making it quiver; when I happen to just be sitting around, especially at night,my first thought is always "Tornado!" I never felt it until I moved a little further North in GA, but usually feel one a couple of times a year now.
    Interestingly enough, about a year ago I felt something vibrating through my floor, like piece of machinary was going. I was barefoot, or I probably wouldn't have felt it, had I had on shoes. I wonder that was a small tremor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Glad that LA didn't have damage nor injuries
    Thank goodness!
    Autumn Winds!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3148853;
    Are you referring to the 89 earthquake? Sounds like my experience, I really thought there was something wrong with my car! I don't know if you all remember but the World Series was on that night and it was between the Giants and the A's. They're both local teams right across the bridge from each other. As I mentioned, I was a juror on a murder trial, I was pregnant with my first child and then this HUGE earthquake, boy what a year! Even with all the earthquakes I wouldn't change living in SF for anywhere in the world! Earthquakes in SF are nothing compared to the daily earthquakes I experienced in Tokyo!
    Yup, I remember we had the game on the tv here and all of a sudden it went all weird. Then after a few moments there was a breaking news thingie saying that a major earthquake hit SF. They showed Candlestick Park and the people being told what was happening, etc. As the night progressed, they showed the Mission District, the Oakland Bridge, and then that other highway that collapsed, etc.

When we were out again in 98, we were in SF and it was unusually hot while we were there. After SF, we made our way down to San Juan Bautista and checked into the hotel. It was still hot the next morning and that was when the earthquake hit for us. That's when my SIL told us that a lot of people think that the heat often precedes an earthquake.

I love SF; it is one of my favourite cities. One of my nieces now lives and works in SF; her other sisters live in LA and San Diego. We heard that everyone was fine after today's quake.

Glad that no-one was hurt in the earthquake. Sounds like the buildings and roadways held up pretty good too!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3148892;
    Interestingly enough, about a year ago I felt something vibrating through my floor, like piece of machinary was going. I was barefoot, or I probably wouldn't have felt it, had I had on shoes. I wonder that was a small tremor.
    Most likely, from your description; it sounds just like what I usually feel. It's been harder a couple of times, but just enough to hear and feel a little vibration. The next day you might hear it mentioned on the news, if you are listening during the 2 seconds it takes to mention it --still, that news segment lasts longer than the tremor!

I've been seeing predictions today of a possible 'bigger' earthquake in the LA area in the next three days. Something about "the type of tremors they have had this week leads to a quake 85% of the time," or some such statistic.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread