+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6239Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Local (San Diego) news is saying we felt it here? I was outside getting the mail and didn't feel anything. It must be a slow news day for all this coverage for a little 5.6 (latest report just downgraded it from 5.8) and the usual aftershocks.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My cousin is only about 15 miles from Chino Hills. She called right afterwards and said it scared the crap out of her because it seemed to last so long. We got cut off and I haven't been able to get her back on the phone. I'm sure it'll be a while since everyone is jamming up the phone lines.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I haven't been able to get through to my grandmother in Hemet. It is just east of Ontario -- so I'm assuming she felt it.

MRD

Glad you guys are safe. Never having experinced a quake, I'm terrified of them and a couple years ago when I was in CA, I kept up an ongoing prayer: "please don't let there be an earthquake while I'm here. please don't let there be an earthquake while I'm here". Pretty stupid, I know, but since all I've ever seen of one is what they show on tv, it makes me leary.

Stay safe guys!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There are hundreds every year, and the vast majority can't be felt. But let more than a half-inch of rain fall? Mercy!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We've felt two quakes here in upstate NY. Back in 83 and another in 02 or 03. They were tiny ones though, barely registering. But some things did fall off shelves. I think the epicenters were up near the Canadian border.

The first time we took the kids to CA was for a niece's wedding in July 89. I remember driving on some road and passing a turn for San Andreas Rd. or something like that. I remember wondering, "Gee, why would they name a road after the San Andreas Fault?" Not realizing that we were so darn close to the faultline! Duh! It kind of freaked me out, but the natives kept telling me that it's all the little ones that keep the big one at bay! Of course, less than 3 months later they had that biggie in SF.

One of my cousins and his wife were in that apartment building that collapsed in Northridge during that earthquake in 94. Another LA-area cousin was so freaked out by the Northridge quake that her husband had to get her to the nearest airport that was opened (can't remember how far away or which airport it was) and get her on the next plane home to her parents in MD. She didn't want to go back! They now live in Florida!

Another time we were in CA for another niece's wedding....back in Aug. 98. We were staying in a hotel in San Juan Bautista and I woke up to an earthquake. I think the epicenter was in nearby Hollister. At first, I thought it was the kids running around in the room and bumping into the bed. Then my hubby said, "That was an earthquake!" I think it ended up being a 5.4 or 5.6, something like that. I just remember looking out the window and seeing waves rolling back and forth in the hotel pool! The local grocery store had a lot of broken jars, etc., off the shelves. We thought it was so cool though....definitely an experience that the kids to talk about when they went back to school.

Our phones are all messed up and we're in Ventura, a long ways away from Chino. Texting works though if you need to get through to a loved one.
    Yup, with donuts!!

The murder trial that I mentioned I was a juror on was interrupted due to the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake. We had left the courtroom and I was in my car when it hit, I thought I was having idle problems when my car was rocking back and forth. I looked up and the trees were swaying back and forth, mothers were calling for their children, the radio station went out and there was chaos everywhere. It was about 100 degrees that day and I mentioned on our lunch break that it was earthquake weather, after a couple of weeks of repair to the building, we came back to trial and the jurors all thought I was a witch who had predicted the earthquake. Growing up in SF, we always referred to hot, still weather as earthquake weather. Now I know why!

It's funny because I've always thought hot, still weather was earthquake weather but it's been overcast here for weeks and not very hot... now in Chino, it may be hot during the day and still, I don't know. My theory is when it's very hot during the day and it cools off 20 degrees at night, it is earthquake time.
    Yup, with donuts!!

In San Francisco it is never hot except for a few days out of the year when we have heatwaves that last maybe 2-3 days at the most. They were far and few between but with all the weather changes, we have had many more heatwaves than usual. So, when we would have a really hot, still day we would call it earthquake weather.

+ Reply to Thread