+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5650Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

bottle sock"? bottle cozy or kozy?

MRD

We just got through watching ABC's primetime. It was probably one of the hardest shows I've had to watch. My husband was rigid the entire hour and the only things out of his mouth are unprintable. Such a tragedy.

I feel so badly for that girls family, but after seeing the footage of North Port, I just can say I'm so very glad I don't live there anymore.

The friend's daughter that was interviewed wasn't shown much, but probably because she refused to give them any sensational quotes about her father. The interviewer tried every way possible to try to trip her up with the questions and she held firm. Pretty remarkable for a 17 year old. My friend said that the cameraman met them on the sidewalk after they left the building and stuck his hand out to her and said he wanted to tell her what an incredible daughter she had. He said that he had seen movie stars, rock stars and politicians all get tripped up in interviews but he had NEVER seen anyone handle themselves as well as her daughter did and how unflappable she was. He said he credited that to the mother in raising such a wonderful daughter despite what she must have gone through dealing with such a schmuck of an ex-husband.

I just hope now that justice is done and King gets convicted and gets the death penalty.

My husband thinks that the father of the murdered girl is staying with the Sherriff's dept. even though he has the years in to retire so he can run for sherriff, because it's pretty obvious the current sherriff won't get re-elected.

I just hope that all of them can find peace in some way and that the killer gets what he deserves and the man that could have saved her, has to live a long time with that on his conscience. He could have been a hero.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I just caught Primetime as well. My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by this, including you and your family. How unspeakably awful. You could really tell that your friend did a great job of raising her daughter, especially with the obstacles she faced (namely, the father)-- I would imagine that this would be a particularly difficult, emotional incident to have to relive, but she appeared very poised and respectful. I really can't believe her father though-- the appropriate words to describe him would probably get me banned from the FORT. I can't even believe that someone could be that callous and outright brainless! It truly boggles the mind.

In a mostly unrelated note, we are getting crazy, crazy lightning and we had some torrential rain earlier. It was so intense that I wasn't sure if there was some enormous flashing strobe light type thing, or if it was actual lightning. Talk about fast and furious!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3142745;
    MRD, I just caught Primetime as well. My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by this, including you and your family. How unspeakably awful. You could really tell that your friend did a great job of raising her daughter, especially with the obstacles she faced (namely, the father)-- I would imagine that this would be a particularly difficult, emotional incident to have to relive, but she appeared very poised and respectful. I really can't believe her father though-- the appropriate words to describe him would probably get me banned from the FORT. I can't even believe that someone could be that callous and outright brainless! It truly boggles the mind.

In a mostly unrelated note, we are getting crazy, crazy lightning and we had some torrential rain earlier. It was so intense that I wasn't sure if there was some enormous flashing strobe light type thing, or if it was actual lightning. Talk about fast and furious!
    I've thought the father was an idiot for years. I know him, he's NOT a friend, but I've had to have dealings with him in the past and he's a moron. I asked my friend once why she married him and she said they met when they were 15 and got married right out of highschool when she was young and stupid and didn't know any better and as soon as she matured, she dumped him. He's been a thorn in her side for years and still owes her a fortune in back child support.
    Of course, my feelings about him now are that he's lower than slime, but smart he isn't and apparantly never has been.

I have to admit that I was crying when they interviewed Amber's father and husband. It was just way too sad.

But I'm so proud of my friends daughter, she really stepped up to the plate and did what she thought was right and then faced her dad calling her a liar in the newspapers for a couple weeks after this until the police made him take the polygraph and found out he was lying. But through ALL that and though she has lost all respect for her dad, the interviewer kept trying to get her to throw her dad under the bus and she didn't. They asked her several times and several ways if she thought he should be arrested and punished and what his punishment she be and she stuck to her answer of :It's not up to me, it's up to the police and the courts to decide that". But they didn't show that. Both the mother nad daughter had pretty long interviews, but a lot was edited out. My friend was asked the same question about what her ex-husband's punishment should be and she said he should burn in hell. But they didn't show that either.
    I thought that was pretty darn mature for a 17 year old to be able to not give in to the interviewer looking for "dirt". But she's a remarkable girl. She was in my Girl Scout troop for 5 years and was always one of the best scouts. Very compassionate and caring and helpful and smart.
    She'll do well despite having a scumbag for a father, because she's had a very strong mother and a wonderful stepfather who has treated her like his own. She was talking about changing her name to the Stepfather's last name when she turns 18. She's embarrassed to have her dad's name anymore.

We had a toad strangler of a rainstorm on Mon. Not much lightening, but LOTS of rain. We need it though and we need a lot more of it. I haven't had to mow my yard in a month and usually this time of year it could use a twice a week cut. But hey, I'm also saving gas by not having to mow, so that's a plus I guess.

And I have kudzu in my yard for the first time. It almost took over the air handler outside. I cannot believe how fast that stuff grows. One day it seems like it wasn't there and the next, I'm peeling it off the ac unit in great amounts. They have some near where I park at the museum and I"m afraid one day I'll come out and my car will have disappeared under it.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-24-2008 at 12:33 AM.

We also watched Primetime tonight. MRD - your friend has a very poised, polite young woman for a daughter. I won't type what I'm thinking about Harold. It broke my heart when she said that she hoped that "some guy" would try to save her if she needed help. She SHOULD be able to count on her father do do that. I'm glad that she has a stepfather who (from what you've said) sounds like he is there for her.

Do you know how the victim's husband and children are doing? I feel so sorry for those little boys. I hope that her father does run for sherriff. It seems like he would be a great person for that job. And maybe he could serve King his final supper....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Florida's death row is about 4 hours north of where all this took place, so if King gets the death penalty, he'll be hours from where all this happened. I would imagine the dad would be one of the witnesses as they do allow the victim's family to witness the executions.

The husband is hanging in, the kids are so little that they don't really understand. But the way the system works, those kids will be in high school or beyond by the time King is finally put to death. The husband is sueing the one Sherriff's department (the one his FIL works for) for mishandling the 911 call.

Harold is a piece of work. I know things about him that just make me not surprised he did this. He's always been difficult to deal with. He's a wimp, he's a jerk and has basically needed his dad or his wife or his girlfriend to tell him what to do next. I honestly think he's incapable of thought without someone telling him what to think. Here's an interesting tidbit. The Detective Sullivan that questions King in the show? He's been a family friend of Harold and his dad for over 25 years. Harold tried to get my friend and her husband arrested on some made up assault charge about 4-5 years ago because my friend had taken him back to court trying to collect child support. The cop knew it was made up and still tried to do what he could to arrest them, went to their house, etc. But nothing ever came of it. My friend kept telling the police that interviewed her that they needed to pull Sullivan off the case because he was close to the family. But he was the one doing the questioning when they first arrested King.

There were just so many missed opportunities.
    But what I keep wondering is, if there was a police officer sitting on the same road that King went down and eventually buried her off of, and at that time, the one sherriff's department knew they were looking for a green camaro as Amber Lee had made her own 911 call and they were able to pull up Kings name and DMV info off that, then why didn't he stop all dark camaro's going down that road that night? They had a roadblock on another road close by and were stopping vehicles. This policeman says that if the other sherriff's department (that didn't broadcast the Kowalski's 911 call kept him from knowing about where the car was headed,) had sent out the broadcast, he would have stopped the car. But both departments knew at the time and had known for over an hour at that point, that they were looking for a green camaro, so why didn't he just try to stop all camaro's if they passed him?That point still sticks with me for some reason. Yeah, the one department really dropped the ball on that one, but still EVERYONE knew they were looking for that car, so I would have been checking vehicles and stopping the ones that looked like they could have been a camaro.
    I know that road well and it's fairly busy, but this isn't a huge area, there can't have been THAT many Camaro's going down it that night.

When my friends daughter said that she hoped some guy would save her. The dad of the girl killed said in a tv interview about Harold "he has a daughter, what if this had been HIS daughter". Harold let his live in girlfriend mistreat (It was abuse, but my friend was told it would be hard to prove. she's had her lawyer on speed dial for years due to divorce, custody and child support issues) his daughter when she was about 8-9 years old. I remember that time period well as I was with my friend when we picked her kids up from a visitation weekend with their dad and the girl came out crying and cried the whole way home trying to tell us what the girlfriend did and that her father didn't do anything to stop it. So he has been around when his own child was being abused by someome else and did nothing to stop it.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-24-2008 at 07:13 AM.

I was wondering that myself. Also, how on a seemingly busy road, only one person saw her banging against the windows, visibly upset, and managed to call 911.

Ugh. It's raining so hard that I think I'm going to wear shorts to work and change. I'm just praying that this doesn't knock out the subway.

Very, very sad . . . I watched the Primetime story as well, and I was wondering at what point did Kowalski stop following them? I think it was the husband at the end - or maybe her dad - who said that it was likely that she was killed not too long after Kowalski's call. I guess I was just wondering if it might have made a difference had she continued to follow them. Not that it is her fault by any means for not doing so - and to be honest, I'm not sure what I would have done . . . I mean, she had no way of knowing if she would be in any danger if she had kept following them. And, I'm with doxie - I can't type the words that come to mind with regards to Harold.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I watched Primetime, too. So, so sad. How many people heard her screaming in that car and did nothing about it because they thought it was a "domestic" situation? That makes me so angry. If someone is being hurt, it doesn't matter if it's their husband, father or a stranger, they are still being hurt.

And they way the sheriff tried to play off Kowalski's 911 call by saying she said it was a child, and they were looking for a young woman. Wouldn't you go after a car with a child being hurt anyway? They dropped the ball in so many way in my opinion.

MRD

Well if it makes any difference, in that small town, Harold has been asked to leave several businesses and restaurants as the owners have told them they will NOT serve him. He's lost most of his own customers (he owned a lawn care business), so he's being shunned, but that's still not enough punishment.

+ Reply to Thread