+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We are having issues with high school kids hanging out in our carport at night. They pick up cigarette butts off the ground and smoke them. It's considered trespassing but we don't currently have a sign or the ability to stay out there all night to catch them. I came home from the store this morning and there was a kid wearing a hoodie with his hands in his pockets and I asked him what he was doing back there... he ran. I'm so tired of talking to these kids about doing the right thing and being disrespected to my face basically. The other day one of them was trying to break through the fence to get out of the alley way and DH caught him and asked him why he was breaking the fence. He got into his face, my dh isn't a small man!, and proceeded to say he didn't do anything when DH saw him pulling on it. He literally started to act like he was going to hit my DH and then finally walked away. The kid was 15 years old but has a gang-member brother and I recently found out his brother is a dealer. Oh you can be sure I'm going to tip off the cops every time they are all on the street together!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Well these kids were all 10-12 years old. Very sad. I was almost wishing we had some shackles and chains in the basement so we could show them in detail exactly what THAT was like.

It really is sad and I've felt so bad for these kids. We have a lighted map of SC and we can show on the map via buttons, where the Cherokee and other tribes lived, where settlement started, the trade routes, etc. I showed them the map and asked what state it was and most of them said: "Greenville". I said "no, Greenville is the city we live in, what state do we live in". Only one could answer. NOW THAT IS TRULY SAD. These are not mentally handicapped children, these are children from poverty level homes, probably being raised by one parent or grandparent, etc. But they aren't even learning in school. These are probably the kids that the teacher can't or won't spend time on, etc.
    They really have no future, they are behavior problems and have probably been labeled as such in school. Without an education and someone taking an interest in them, they are doomed.
    But it should have been up to the "daycare summer program" to have either warned us in advance or to have provided additional chaperones because we were literally not told that we were dealing with children with behavior problems. We've done camp before with this same number of kids and with 3 of our own counselors and had very little problems, but 3 of us and one useless chaperone from their daycare could not keep them under control.

On another subject, the interview with my friend and her daughter about the murder of t he woman in Florida airs tonight on ABC Primetime at 10 p.m. EDT.
    Some of you remember that a young mother was kidnapped, raped and killled and that the father of my friends daughter could have saved her and didn't. He called his 17 year old daughter, she called 911. The girl that was killed is the daughter of my husband's childhood best friend and he's also a police detective. It was a very sad case and a case where repeated 911 calls came in and they still could not find the killer in time. He is currently in custody and they are planning to seek the death penalty when he goes to trial.
    Anyway, ABC interviewed my friend and her daughter who placed a 911 call after her father refused to help.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Newf, thanks for sharing your short and long stories regarding your piano playing . I bet you play very well by now. And it's inspiring to hear that your sister is considering it. Shows it's never to late to try something new. Nobody around here really advertises piano lessons so I'll probably have to post on Craig's List or go to some music stores and see if they can recommend anyone.

Myrosie, I've been waiting all week for the story to air so I'll definitely tape it. And I can't even imagine the day you had with those children. I'll drink a glass of wine for you . But seriously, you're right about their being the ones who could benefit from these programs if they would just close their mouths and open their minds. I bet in smaller doses you would have had better success, like maybe three or four at a time. Did you notice out of the mob if there were any who seemed like they didn't want to act up but might have been doing so just because their peers were? Maybe the one or two (if you noticed any) could be invited back?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3142078;
    Newf, thanks for sharing your short and long stories regarding your piano playing . I bet you play very well by now. And it's inspiring to hear that your sister is considering it. Shows it's never to late to try something new. Nobody around here really advertises piano lessons so I'll probably have to post on Craig's List or go to some music stores and see if they can recommend anyone.

Myrosie, I've been waiting all week for the story to air so I'll definitely tape it. And I can't even imagine the day you had with those children. I'll drink a glass of wine for you . But seriously, you're right about their being the ones who could benefit from these programs if they would just close their mouths and open their minds. I bet in smaller doses you would have had better success, like maybe three or four at a time. Did you notice out of the mob if there were any who seemed like they didn't want to act up but might have been doing so just because their peers were? Maybe the one or two (if you noticed any) could be invited back?
    These kids have been together all summer, so they all know exactly how to push each other's buttons. I couldn't identify one child that I would say was not likely to act up. They were all equally as bad and some just worse than others.
    I did suggest to the museum that if we do this again to have just a few at a time. But as we are now officially through with daycamp for the summer, this is not something we'll have to revisit until next June.

I wish I had had wine in the house, but I probably would have overdone it if I had. So I appreciate you having a glass for me.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3141342;
    So i had a very creepy time last night as i was falling asleep. I saw what i thought was a spider sliding down into my coat and i started screaming. I was quite freaked out about it and recalled that it's not the first time it happens. And yes, i hate spiders.

if i saw a spider crawling into a piece of my clothing, i don't think i'd be able to wear it again without wondering if it's in there! spiders are one of my absolute WORST fears!

I hate it when I have a dream about spiders or bugs and then I wake up feeling like there's one crawling around somewhere.

Once my kids made a father's day banner and they glued pinto beans and macaroni and other little doo-dads on it. I hung it up on the wall over the bed because it was cute. Eventually a few of the pieces gave in to gravity and my husband or I would scream because we thought bugs were falling in our bed.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Amy Lee,barefootdyke and burntbrat, you are forever banned from working with me. I get a couple of ticks every day. It used to give me the heebie-jeebies--any time that I found a tick on my body, I'd spend the next three days jumpy from every bead of sweat trickling down my leg or every stray hair brushing my ear. Now it's more of a mild distraction than anything. Last Saturday, I didn't even realize that I had a tick on the middle of my forehead until my field helper pointed it out to me.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

omigoodness!! yeah, that would freak me out!
    a few weeks ago, i saw a scary black spider crawl up the wall from behind my monitor at work .... i practically jumped out of my skin, it started me so much!!! of course, i had to call someone from up the hall to come rescue me.

MRD

Most bugs don't bother me. Ticks and roaches are about the only 2 that I find disgusting.
    But frogs, that is a whole different story. Don't want to even see a frog. I can deal with spiders and snakes, but not frogs.
    (remember that old Jim Stafford song: "I don't like spiders and snakes...." ??)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Once again, I turn to you guys for help with the name of something. I always have a 1 liter 33.8 fl. oz (1 qt. 1.8 oz.) bottle of water at my fingertips. It is usually thawing, and nice and cold. I have this wrap-thingy around it that seals with a velcro seam, and has a double-looped strap by which it can be carried; mine is cat-themed. I want to find another one (this one was a gift), but I don't know what this wrap-thing is called. It keeps the water cold for a long time. I need some help with a name for this product so that I can do a google search. Anybody got a product name?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread