+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;3141588;
    Wow, MRD, that sounds absolutely awful . . . but, it sounds like y'all did the right thing by calling their daycare and having them come pick them up. I'm just curious - did the person from the daycare have anything to say about their behavior, or at least have the decency to be embarrassed by their behavior? What's sad is that they probably act like this all the time, and I'm sure that they feed off of each other's behavior - so if one of them is doing it, they all kick in, and then it gets to the point of being uncontrollable. I'm glad that you only had to deal with it for a short time and not on an every day basis.

And, being a Southern Lady too, while I understand you "taking to your bed, I think I would have been "taking out the bottle of wine" . . . but that's just me!

If I had had wine, I would have taken to it! But the only thing alcoholic in the house right now is some old kahlua which I don't like. And I did not feel like going to the store. Books and bed did it for me though.

Well the counselor just said that he has a hard time with them too. He's working on his Ph.D in child pyschology (he has his work cut out with this crew) and he said that they don't understand anything but yelling and that it's like a heroin addiction that you have to "wean them off yelling".
    I actually thought it would have been nice to have been WARNED ahead of time that they might be a handful (which is putting it mildly) and I thought that we weren't part of the "rehab for yelling" plan if we couldn't get any form of control over them at all. Absolutely no respect for anything.
    I do hope that someone, somewhere will make a difference in these kids lives, as they are a LOT more obstacles they will face in their lives. It isn't going to get any easier the older they get.

And yes, they did feed off each other. Group mentality was definetly at work yesterday.

Scoutmom, I agree with you 100%. When something like scouting works well it makes a wonderful difference in a child's life. But I've also seen some leaders that had no business leading either. But that's another story. And when it's a safety issue you HAVE to take action. The girl in our troop had more personal problems than she did with the other girls and they accepted her and were great with her. Her issues were self destructive ones (she was a self-cutter).

And unfortunately there will be kids that no matter who does what, they will never be reached and it's a shame, because while each child is different and has a different set of abilities, it's the home life that can make or break a kid and these kids I'm sure did not have good home lives and I'm still sad about that. But at the point we got them, we couldn't have made a difference in just the few hours we had them.

I know that there have been many adults that made a difference in my life and I wasn't a troubled kid.

I will NEVER forget the mentally handicapped boy I had in the museum one day that was so enthralled by my brief talk about the US constitution that he went to the gift shop and bought a copy and then made a beeline to me to show me and tell me "I'm going to go home and read this so I know ALL the laws and I am going to hang it on my wall to remind me". So sometimes it is possible to make a little difference in a short period of time, but the kid also has to be willing to accept the person trying to make the difference and be open to it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You're absolutely right about the people doing the leading. That's the problem with our former Troop now. A new Scoutmaster took over, tried to change things, and the things he's trying to change aren't working. People are angry and are pulling their kids out left and right. After two years, you'd think he's realize there's something wrong. I guess his ego just won't let him see it. The sad thing is, some of these kids that are leaving will just drop out of the Scouting program instead of finding another Troop that is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3140788;
    A big thank you to everyone who insisted I go to the doctor. I cancelled the chiropractor and went to my GP instead, who said "OMG, you got here in the nick of time". It seems that I have shingles, and they're developing along the "ophthalmic division of the trigeminal nerve" (had to look that up), which can eventually cause vision loss. And going blind is very close to my biggest fear. So again, a big thank you for making me behave like an adult.
    Rattus, I am a little late to the conversation, but I am so glad you took yourself to a doctor. Sorry to hear you have shingles. I have a friend who has it. It comes out mostly in periods of great stress for her, but she seems to be able to control it. I hope yours is manageable also.
    I don't know much about shingles, were your cluster headaches stemming from it?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

mrd, I was wondering about the ages of the children from the daycare?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was too. When I hear "daycare" I think preschool, but is it a summer program for kids whose moms' work?
    Count your blessings!

Rattus-I am soo relieved to hear that you went to your doctor! Get well soon -

MRD Just goes to show you that you must always have wine in your house! I always grab a bottle when I see it on sale and add it to the wine rack, because you just never know when you will have one of those days It is so sad that there are so many kids out there being raised (or not - depending on how you look at it) like this. Absolutely no care and/or boundaries at home and then when they are out in the real world - they will not have the tools to have a normal life.

I'm guessing that they were "middle school-ish" aged people. Kids start showing "middle school-ish" signs around grade 5 (age 10), from what I've seen. The oldest kid at my community center is 16....not that I know what he is doing there, but he's really very immature from what you would expect from somebody his age, and they are having trouble with younger kids looking up to him and his inappropriate, immature behavior. This is one of those times when I can definitely see that there need to be adult male figures around to help this boy along; there are all females at the center. His parents are not together, and I think dad is chronically ill and in need of care.

Last I heard, they were going to have this kid leave the center, but I don't think that is really an answer to the problem. This boy really needs male guidance.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

For anyone who may be interested, the loss of audio on my televison for just one of my channels WAS on the DISH folks end. Everything was all better yesterday evening. I swear, if anything stupid is going to happen, I think it looks for my address, sits on my porch, and waits for me to come home.

That is so awful about those kids who had to leave the museum. Like you said, they probably would have benefited the most from your programs. It's so sad when children reach the point where NOTHING can discipline them. I'm sure if you beat them with whips and chains, they would still defy you and the rest of the staff. (Not that I would recommend that!)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3141942;
    . . . beat them with whips and chains . . . (Not that I would recommend that!)
    I would! :nono
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread