+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6401Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3140562;
    The question (mentioned so long ago ) is whether anyone has had a similar experience. Is it common practice, unheard of, or something in between??
    It might be common practice for a larger organization, but it seems a little odd for what I assume is one person working independently. If she (or specifically, her business) is audited on a regular basis, then I would suppose the post-dated cheques would count as deferred assets, but I don't know how that would affect a single person owned-operated business.

Pardon the lack of clarity - can't think straight - still working through headache.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

And what if one pays for a year's worth of lessons and she skips town two months later? Have fun trying to get all that money back. (Yes, I am that cynical.)

I can't see how handing her months worth of checks in advance will make her bookkeeping any easier either.

And, seriously, a lot can happen over the next few months. What if you for some reason are no longer able to take the lessons....due to a health-related matter, an accident, travels, the economy, etc., etc. Anything can happen at any time....to you or the teacher.

I would tell her that for your bookkeeping matters, you just cannot do it.

I agree with everyone else, Newf. There's no way I'd agree to that.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

When I took lessons, we paid at the beginning of each class. If a student missed a lesson without giving the instructor enough notice, you still had to pay for that week's lesson since the teacher lost money/time. Even if it was commonplace to pay in advance, I would be wary of paying more than a month in advance.

I have a question for anyone who might know. My son received an inheritance check from my grandmother's estate and the check is made out to both he and I. Does anyone know if I can just go and open a CD account without needing him to sign any documents? He's a minor and I don't really want his social security number on anything right now and I also don't want him to know how much it was for. I want him to feel he needs to succeed in school and do the right thing, not think that at 18 years old he has $10,000 waiting for him to use and not go to school.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'd check with an accountant on that one, buglover. There are various rules that come into play when minors are involved. We ran into that when my dad died with my son and nephews.

Thanks everyone! Everyone has pretty much confirmed what I thought--it's nuts. I have been paying for my lessons a month at a time, for two years with my first teacher and for a year with this one. I don't think that she's running a scam, but I don't think that her business sense matches her teaching ability. She's on vacation until the beginning of August--I can only imagine the e-mails that might be awaiting her from the parents of her students! I do hope that it can be resolved--I'm finally able to find Middle C three times out of five I'd also hate to have to break in a new teacher to my fun-house-mirror sense of humor (I probably posted this three times already, but it is my favorite piano story: I was playing some note or other with my thumb, and it was decidedly more forte than what the other fingers were doing. I said that I couldn't help it, I was the first in my family tree to have opposable thumbs and I hadn't quite got the hang of them yet. There was dead silence for many seconds . . . she started to say something, then stopped . . . more silence . . . another attempt at speech that died with the first syllable . . . MORE silence . . . Finally, she said, "I guess I don't know what to say to that.")
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newf, I agree with the others -- tuition a year or semester in advance is expected for schools or larger companies, but not for private teachers or tutors. And I speak from the point of view of the private tutor. While it would be great to have lessons paid for that far in advance to eliminate the no-pays and the last-minute cancellations (and loss of income), it's just not done. That's just a risk we have to take; it's the nature of the business. (Of course, the risks are reduced by a clearly written cancellation policy, as well as a good-sized waiting list.) Most of my students' families pay me weekly, and two families pay me a month in advance. Personally, I would be nervous about getting paid a semester/year in advance, or keeping a stack of post-dated checks in my home office. Post-dated checks are a bad idea and a big headache for a number of reasons. And, if something happened where a cancellation would be my fault, it would be a big accounting nightmare to issue refunds.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3140639;
    I have a question for anyone who might know. My son received an inheritance check from my grandmother's estate and the check is made out to both he and I. Does anyone know if I can just go and open a CD account without needing him to sign any documents? He's a minor and I don't really want his social security number on anything right now and I also don't want him to know how much it was for. I want him to feel he needs to succeed in school and do the right thing, not think that at 18 years old he has $10,000 waiting for him to use and not go to school.
    *puts on lawyer hat*

Buglover,

Is it made out to you as custodian under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act for your son? Or just to the two of you?
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3140706;
    *puts on lawyer hat*

Buglover,

Is it made out to you as custodian under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act for your son? Or just to the two of you?
    It is made out to both of us. It states *son's name* and *mom's name* from the trust of ******.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread