+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5825Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Have you been eating anything different lately? What did your dr say?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3139353;
    I'm hoping that some helpful FORT resident will be able to offer some assistance. I am now going into week two of a unilateral cluster headache (generally conceded to be the most painful headache - even worse than a migraine) and absolutely nothing is helping but I still have to work. I'm going to a chiropractor tomorrow to see if that does anything, but in the meantime, has anyone else had experience with these things and if so, how did you make it go away? HELP!
    I am so sorry to say that I have nothing to offer in the way of help at the moment, but I have been there! Have you had your doctor x-ray your neck?

Last year, I was having these terrible headaches every single day. I would wake up with them every morning, no exaggeration, and went through Excedrin (all formulas) and Ibuprofen by the barrel constantly. I went to several doctors trying to find the root cause - ruled out sinus/allergy issues, hormone issues, migraines (which I had a history of), and misc. other testing. And none of these doctors ever thought to look at my neck, only gave a diagnosis of After 8 months of this, I was at a regular check-up with my rheumatologist for my back, and mentioned the headache issue. Took 5 seconds for the doctor to say he wanted an x-ray and MRI of my neck stat. Within 10 minutes, the x-ray showed lots of damage. The MRI was taken a week later and showed even more damage. So many issues in my neck that I was sent to UCLA and had complete reconstructive surgery on my neck. And now -- no more headaches!!!! Not only that, but I can turn my neck in all directions again! I had not really noticed how limited my neck had become. I'm telling you, it's a miracle!

I mention all of this because I had also been diagnosed in previous years with migraines and cluster headaches. Because of this I was slow to seek help. If it is at all possible, I would suggest at least an x-ray of your neck.

By the way -- you can not be too young to have this issue -- all the doctors that I saw in the hospital were amazed at the extensiveness of my damage because of my age. They said this is something usually seen in very old people with life-long issues.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just saw a spot on one of the early morning news shows, maybe on Friday, that was talking about seeing a headache doctor if you were having lots of repeat troubles. I don't think I even knew 'headache doctors' were a breed. Sounds like your doc was at the top of his/her medical school class and paying attention! Good for you! Unfortunately, we don't just stumble across great doctors that often. The doc on TV did say that some headaches are caused by us using too much medication trying to relieve our pain, and that there is such a thing as 'rebound headaches'. She said that if you are taking meds to relieve any headaches more than 10 days/month, it's time to check in with a headache doctor. Made sense to me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I have a friend that gets these Rattus and she swears by massage to treat them.

Hope you get relief soon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3139424;
    I am so sorry to say that I have nothing to offer in the way of help at the moment, but I have been there! Have you had your doctor x-ray your neck?
    I haven't had an x-ray for this specific issue, but I have had an x-ray and an MRI for other issues in the past couple of years, and apparently there is nothing wrong. I think I mentioned that I will be visiting a chiropractor tomorrow in the hope that he can help. If he doesn't help, my boss suggested acupuncture, so maybe I'll sublimate my displeasure about needles and give that a whirl.

Ellen, I went through a period of taking feverfew daily, but while it is supposed to work on migraines, apparently it doesn't work on cluster headaches. I get them every so often and the intensity doesn't appear to waver whether I'm taking the feverfew or not.

Doing a little google research I've learned that magnesium has helped 40% of cluster headache sufferers, so I will be picking some up at lunchtime. Fingers crossed.

And thanks for the well wishes, everyone. Going through these headaches are the only times I relish sympathy - I feel just so whiny.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus,

I hope you find something that helps. I will add my endorsement for acupuncture. It helped me immensely with a sinus problem. I'm not a big needle fan either but honestly, I could hardly feel them being inserted. Plus, 45 minutes in a dark, warm room with no noise was awesome. I'd always come out feeling completely relaxed.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Help!! Somebody's got to point me in the right direction! One of my televisions, all of which are connected to satellite, has no sound on one of the channels. About a week or two ago, I did notice a drop in the sound output on that same channel, but you could still hear it...but you could turn it all of the way up to the highest level, and it would just sound normal. If you switched to another/any other channel, you'd be blown out of the room. Today, the channel lost all audio.

Has anyone ever run into a problem like this before? The other televisions are fine. Whom should I call? Satellite, the station, the TV repair people (please say "NO!"). The set was bought around 2003. The others are much older....not that that has anything to do with my crappy luck.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know much about TVs, prhoshay, but I would think if it was the TV, then you'd have the same problem on all of the channels. It sounds to me like it's a problem at the station itself.

MRD

Rattus,
    acupuncture does not hurt. The needles are so small and they are solid.

When getting a shot or having blood drawn, the needles are larger and hollow.
    the acupuncture needles actually go inbetween the skin cells while a regular needle actually punctures the skin. I know I'm not explaining it well, but it was explained to me that the difference in the size and the solidness of the needles versus hollow needles is why it does not hurt.

I can't say if acupuncture helps because the one time I had it done, I developed hives at all the needle sites and they had to be removed before I got the "full effect of treatment". But I have a weird allergy type thing where I always get hives if my skin has been punctured. Even by a sandspur or something. The acupuncturist had never seen anyone develop hives from the needles before (and they are supposedly hypoallergenic and sterilized) in 20 years of doing acupuncture. But that's me, I seem to hear that regularly from health care professionals: "we've never seen anyone have THAT reaction before". Of course not, it's always me.

Good luck and hope you feel bette soon.

Prhoshay, I'd call the satellite company. If you get sound on that channel from all other tvs, it may be a problem with the satellite box on that particular tv.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3139434;
    The doc on TV did say that some headaches are caused by us using too much medication trying to relieve our pain, and that there is such a thing as 'rebound headaches'. She said that if you are taking meds to relieve any headaches more than 10 days/month, it's time to check in with a headache doctor. Made sense to me!
    I'll agree with this wholeheartedly - and unfortunately with first-hand experience. Back in 2003 I had a migraine for literally eight months - straight. My doctor tried me on everything imaginable and came to the conclusion that I am in the very small minority of people who does not respond to migraine medications.

So his solution was to put me on prescription-strength ibuprofen - 2400 mg a day. By the time he threw his hands in the air and finally sent me to a neurologist, I was in extreme pain. The neurologist's diagnosis was that my body was actually toxic from all of the ibuprofen, and that I was having rebound headaches on top of the migraine because of what my doctor had prescribed. He said that in cases as severe as mine he usually recommended hospitalization to medically detox the body and because my headache was going to get worse as I detoxed off of the ibuprofen. But when I was resistent to that, he gave me a cocktail of meds to take and said he would be willing to let me try it at home, but if it got really bad, I had to go to the hospital immediately. Well, he was right - the headache got considerably worse (as if that was possible) as my body detoxed . . . but fortunately I was able to do it without going into the hospital.

All of that to say that it really is possible for headaches to get worse - or even not go away at all - because of medications . . . even those prescribed by doctors.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

+ Reply to Thread