+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3138516;
    I'm trying to play catch-up with everyone's posts...I've been a mover (boxes, tables, lamps, etc), washer and dryer installer, cupboard painter, food caterer, and sounding board for my entire family this past while.

I am sooooo exhausted, sore, bruised, and banged up. Everything hurts.

So, onto another topic: My twin sinister just bought a 40 year old bungalow which is in very good shape. She used to own a house so she has most of what she needs in the way of furniture, paintings, yard tools, etc. To say she's picky, opinionated, ungrateful, controlling, and sometimes downright rude, is to be truthful. However, as the wonderful family we are, we are trying to think of something we can get her for a housewarming present. She's not into meaningless stuff, and knows what she likes and doesn't like.

Would it be rude for us to give her some cash, so she could get whatever she decides she would like to have for her new place? I know she doesn't have a slow cooker, a George Forman Grill, and needs a new set of cookware because her stove is a glasstop now, not the kind with burners and her pots are very old. However, she has to pick out exactly what she wants as we would "never" do it right.

I already gave her a big pot with fresh basil, chives, rosemary and dill for her deck because she likes to cook with fresh herbs when I dropped off some furniture. And I have a couple of small gifty's I can give her on her birthday that she may appreciate.. or not.

Would a gift card to The Bay from the family be considered tacky?
    You gave it to her already. You helped her move and you, dad and SIL made and brought and paid for all the food and drinks while everyone worked their butts off under her demanding schedule. (I just read the troubles thread).
    At this point, I'd get a nice housewarming card and say: good luck in the new house and be done with it.
    I really would. You gave your time and apparantly some of your health. That's enough.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Sorry to double post, but I have a vent.

I have a friend that is moving this weekend. However, she is having to stay at hotel for 2 days due to the whole moving process.
    Yesterday, she invited me to come by the hotel this afternoon and swim, hang out and enjoy the free cocktail hour and buffett they are having at the hotel. I told her it sounded good and I'd love too.

So, now a 2nd friend calls her and says: Why don't you both come out to my house (she lives in BFE, over 25 minutes away) and hang out. She lives in a one bedroom, garage apartment that is TINY. She doesn't use the air conditioner and she has a inside cat which I am allergic too. No pool, no drinks and buffet.

I don't want to go hangout in a hot, claustrophic apartment and sneeze my head off all afternoon. I wanted to go swim, sunbathe and enjoy a couple complimentary drinks.

So now that I've said I was staying home, they keep calling me and BEGGING and I've said NO. I would rather stay home.

I hate when someone makes plans with me and then changes them.
    If I'm going to hang out somewhere, it will be in my house where I put the air conditioning on and not have to take benedryl.

The hotel pool thing sounded like a lot of fun on a really hot day. The tiny apartment with no ameneties does not.

Bah! I'm a grump now because I haven't been swimming in a year and was looking forward to a nice dip.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Aw mrd that sucks! That is usually why I don't have friends who know each other! You could come swim here but we'd have to build a teleporter.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Hey, i want to hotel around too. Boo. Misskitty, you already gave to her, it's more then sufficient. I also say that because she can't possibly have the audacity to ask for more. Now that would be tacky.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3138604;
    Sorry to double post, but I have a vent.

I have a friend that is moving this weekend. However, she is having to stay at hotel for 2 days due to the whole moving process.
    Yesterday, she invited me to come by the hotel this afternoon and swim, hang out and enjoy the free cocktail hour and buffett they are having at the hotel. I told her it sounded good and I'd love too.

So, now a 2nd friend calls her and says: Why don't you both come out to my house (she lives in BFE, over 25 minutes away) and hang out. She lives in a one bedroom, garage apartment that is TINY. She doesn't use the air conditioner and she has a inside cat which I am allergic too. No pool, no drinks and buffet.

I don't want to go hangout in a hot, claustrophic apartment and sneeze my head off all afternoon. I wanted to go swim, sunbathe and enjoy a couple complimentary drinks.

So now that I've said I was staying home, they keep calling me and BEGGING and I've said NO. I would rather stay home.

I hate when someone makes plans with me and then changes them.
    If I'm going to hang out somewhere, it will be in my house where I put the air conditioning on and not have to take benedryl.

The hotel pool thing sounded like a lot of fun on a really hot day. The tiny apartment with no ameneties does not.

Bah! I'm a grump now because I haven't been swimming in a year and was looking forward to a nice dip.
    Go have a beer and put some water in the tub and splash your feet around. After a few you'll be having more fun than them I guarantee it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Hi misskitty, when I moved into my first home a long time ago, my family all helped me move in (back then, I didn't have much furniture, but it was still heavy lifting etc.). I got all new appliances so no one had to help install washers/dryers etc. But I also went and got carryout food and made sure everyone got a nice lunch. Most of my family got me some housewarming gifts--my sister got me Tupperware and dishcloths, my brother gave me some cutlery, my parents went all out and bought me the new washer and dryer (!!!) as well as some furniture. But honestly, I wasn't expecting anything. As previously stated, helping someone move is a HUGE deal and helps the person moving save thousands of dollars. When I got married and Mr. Lane and I moved into our home, we hired movers! People gave us housewarming plants (which I LOVED! They're still alive today!), but again, we weren't expecting anything.

I think it's sweet that your family wants to give your twin a housewarming gift. However, it's not expected or necessary. But if you still choose to, the gift card sounds lovely. And if she complains about it, tell her to give it back to you and then go buy something for all the members of the family who chipped in to get it for her!

mrd, what the heck? I hate people who change plans like that, too. Your friend who invited you should've said she already had plans and maybe invited that third friend to join you all at the pool. What is wrong with her? Why would anyone prefer cramped apt. to a pool with amenities?!

Miss Kitty, You are such a nice twin to even consider a gift. Do you have Costco where you are? They sell just about everything from cupcakes to mattresses! My new generic gift now is a Costco gift card.

MRD - I agree with Lois, why would anyone prefer a cramped apt to a pool especially with a happy hour!!! I would ask her for her room key and go hang out by the pool, let the others suffer in the apt while you enjoy the pool and amenities!!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

misskitty, I just read your post in the Talk About Your Troubles thread and was appalled by your twin's behavior!!!! After reading that, I would say that unless your parents/family really REALLY want to get her a gift, you all have done more than enough and I wouldn't get her anything. Or if I did, maybe a $10 plant. I can't believe she didn't stop your elderly parents from MOVING stuff for her. What the heck?!!! I know that she's family and that you will most likely have more situations along these lines, but next time I would speak up before offering to help and literally say, "What are you going to order for lunch? What time will we eat? Mom and dad like this so get that. I want some _____ to drink and we could also use some snacks. Can you handle that?" And if she complains, just don't show up. Honestly--it wouldn't have cost her that much to feed you all. Gees--she should've had lunch for you all even if you had just come to visit. But to not feed THE WORKERS (you all!). That's just INSANE and horrible.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3137726;
    Marleybone last visited the site today. Last posted 7/14/08 in the Next food network star thread.
    I just can't hide anywhere. I'm usually around, thanks for thinking of me you guys.

OOOOH! Marleybone, your avatar! It is reaching out to me...It's calling me... I must give in...
    *sigh*I'm queenb, and I'm a crocoholic.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread