+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7280Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3135204;
    It's amazing what music can do. Even if you don't connect a certain song to a specific time, just hearing it can sometimes bring you back. Forever Young, I'm back at a junor high school dance, Summer of '69, I'm on the dance floor with mr Fatale the first time, Narcotic by Liquido, I'm on a class trip to Italy. And these are the ones I can think of in a short notice, there are also the ones that I don't think of that you takes me back to wherever upon hearing them.
    There are certain songs that can instantly bring back a specific memory.

I remember in 9th grade listenint to Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night sitting in a friends bedroom and talking about what it would be like to "do it".
    I heard that song on the radio the other day and I was instantly transported back 32 years to that friends bedroom.
    The Eagles Heartache tonight reminds me of a party I went to in 12th grade.
    There are a lot more, but those are the only ones I can remember right now.

I like Lois' idea of the husband's entertaining us with the time warp.
    Ellen, I can't believe you took your mom. How fun though.

OK, BIG CHANGE IN SUBJECT.

I need a kids craft for ages 3rd grade through 5th grade. It has to be a "historical" craft from Colonial to Civil War period.

We tried making punched tin lanterns out of tin cans and it was a disaster. We have rejected soap and candle making as it's too dangerous and we don't have ready access to a stove to heat the stuff up anyway.

I thought about corn husk dolls, but I'm sure the boys will not want to do that.

HELP, the only other thing we can think of is possibly making paper and quill pens. But the paper making will be messy and it will have to dry and I'm not sure if we will have enough time for it to dry before they go home.

I have found tons of websites, but they all reccomend soap and candle making and cornhusk dolls.

These Colonial and Civil war kids had to have been making something besides soap and candles.

We have some great games of the period to play, but we are lacking crafts.
    I need something that will take about 1 hour or less. Not be extremely messy and fairly cheap to do.

Thanks so much!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Shoulder pads?: I was barely 7 when the 80's were over. I seriously can't imagine. Eh, Lois, did you?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3135342;
    Shoulder pads?: I was barely 7 when the 80's were over. I seriously can't imagine. Eh, Lois, did you?
    Ahem...I once wore a shirt with shoulder pads...and over that I wore a blazer with shoulder pads...and then I had a coat on over that...and yes, that had shoulder pads!

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3135342;
    As someone with hips as wide as all outdoors, I can tell you that there is still a place for the pads. If I don't wear them, I tend to look very much like a dreidel. With them, I just look generally wide but with maybe a smidgen of waist, and for some reason I prefer that to the dreidel look.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD, here is a website that has some good ideas.

Index for Craft Day

At the Center I used to run, we would make candles a lot. It's actually pretty easy and the kids loved it. We would take large sheets of plastic and lay them on the floor to minimize the mess. We had 2-3 hot plates and we would take the large metal coffee cans to melt the wax in. We would buy plain colored wax to melt in the cans and then purchase different colored wax crayons. You chip the colored crayons into the plain wax and it colors the wax. The kids would dip their wicks into the wax and make all different colored and fun candles. We would hang them on wooden rods that we laid across cross chairs, to dry. The whole process for the kids didn't take that long. It will require a little prep time for adults to melt the wax and get everything set up. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3135393;
    MRD, here is a website that has some good ideas.

Index for Craft Day

At the Center I used to run, we would make candles a lot. It's actually pretty easy and the kids loved it. We would take large sheets of plastic and lay them on the floor to minimize the mess. We had 2-3 hot plates and we would take the large metal coffee cans to melt the wax in. We would buy plain colored wax to melt in the cans and then purchase different colored wax crayons. You chip the colored crayons into the plain wax and it colors the wax. The kids would dip their wicks into the wax and make all different colored and fun candles. We would hang them on wooden rods that we laid across cross chairs, to dry. The whole process for the kids didn't take that long. It will require a little prep time for adults to melt the wax and get everything set up. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Thanks for the site. Unfortunately we can't do hot plates, so candle making is out. Because of insurance and liability purposes, we are not allowed to use those in the classroom, we have to use the kitchen and the kitchen is so small that we can't fit all the campers in.
    We tried to do it the first camp, but having an adult melt the wax in the kitchen and bring it to the classroom, but the results were not good and we had several kids whining about the hot wax. And we also had spilled wax, despite having drop cloths. So that idea was nixed. Which is a shame, because I personally find candle making fun.
    But I appreciate the help more than you know and will check out the site.

I LOVED shoulder pads as I have sloping shoulders. Shoulder pads do help balance out your hips. But I would need a football linebackers pads to make my hips look as small as they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3135330;
    . . . Ellen, I can't believe you took your mom. How fun though. . .
    If you knew my parents, you'd believe it! (Dad was at the party, too!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Thanks to Yardgnome, we are going to make marbeled paper (very 18th and 19th centurey) and cover journals and make quill pens and also silhouttes and maybe even some dried fruit garlands. Depending on our time.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3135330;

OK, BIG CHANGE IN SUBJECT.

I need a kids craft for ages 3rd grade through 5th grade. It has to be a "historical" craft from Colonial to Civil War period.

I thought about corn husk dolls, but I'm sure the boys will not want to do that.

HELP.
    Marketing is everything. Tell the boys that they are making 19th Century Action Figures Give them some gray and blue paint, and some plastic cocktail weenie swords, and watch them go nuts.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Oh, the cocktail swords are a GREAT idea! Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread