+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3128375;
    Would any of the cooks assist me with making salads?
    Me, me, me!!!!!!!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i can call out for chinese or pizza when it's too hot to cook!

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3127937;
    Maybe we could have a house next door for those who can't live with animals? And we could have dinner there every night so we won't have a pack of dogs staring at us while we eat!
    What an awesome idea! I'll even set the table (but don't expect "tablescapes"!) and get happy hour started!

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

From my point of view this is one of those good news/bad news things. The good news is I quit my job. It's been driving me crazy for the last year or so and I finally decided that the little bit of money that I made wasn't worth the aggravation. The bad news, mr. gracie is retiring at the end of the month. I'm concerned about being together 24/7. It will all work out, but I know he's going to drive me crazy at the beginning.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;3129135;
    I'm concerned about being together 24/7. It will all work out, but I know he's going to drive me crazy at the beginning.
    Maybe this would be a good time to look at doing some fun volunteering -- whether it's literacy tutoring, reading to people in the hospital or nursing homes, helping with reading groups at a school, or history stuff at a museum or "Old Town" sort of place, etc. -- whatever you're interested in. It'll give you a break from your beloved, help your community, and make your together times sweeter!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3128013;
    Thanks for the input barefootdyke. Funny but I just remember my step dad was teamsters at the GM factory. Don't remember anything else about it as I was small. My former boss was very anti union and very vocal and vindictive about it to the point of firing suspected union sympathizer. He has since transferred to another branch and found out today that his branch is one they are currently organizing.

(sorry for all the spelling mistakes but I don't feel very well today and quite honestly could care less. )
    My BIL was a teamster for 30 years and the union did very well by him.
    Not all unions are bad. They do provide a very good service to the people that belong to them in helping them negotiate their job contracts, helping them keep their jobs, obtaining raises, etc. Livin, google the Teamsters union, they have a website and get more information. Talk to some that belong to it. (Fed Ex, UPS and the like are all ususually Teamsters, so ask your UPS man)

Florida is considered a "right to work state", so there aren't unions there like in other places. (there are some unions like the Teamsters, Teachers, etc.) My husband has seen wages in his industry which is unionized in the North, but not in Florida or SC fall, working conditions stay bad, no paid vacations, holidays or sick days, etc. He has always wished that the construction industry was unionized in the South because there is a need for it here.

And I do believe that you cannot be fired for being a union sympathizer or joining a union.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3128816;
    What an awesome idea! I'll even set the table (but don't expect "tablescapes"!) and get happy hour started!
    WHAT? No tablescapes??? Well that does it, I'm NOT coming.

I like the bartender idea too. I developed a new "cocktail" over the weekend that I'm calling a Carolina Crush. It's similar to a Peach Bellini, but has marked differences too.

Well that kitchen is going to be the hub of the house, I can tell you, music, cocktails, cooking, cussing, laughing. We'll just have to sell tickets for the show!

Gracie, good luck on the home front. My mom retired and then my dad retired and 6 months later, my mom went back to work parttime because he was driving her insane. But he retired and didn't do anything. I think the important thing is to make sure you both have outside activities and friends and that you do things separately so that when you are together, it's not driving you crazy. My dad just refused to do anything (and we never could figure out why, as he had been fairly active before retiring) outside and he "held court" for some of his friends and such at home, so it drove my mom crazy.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-14-2008 at 07:02 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

thanks for the support y'all. I know it sounds like I have a plan, but I'd really, really like to keep the job I have now; I hope I don't have to start over soon. Although I do plan on taking a pay cut and doing something animal related when I turn 55.
    Livin4reality, in an ideal world it would be better to speak for yourself, but I'm glad our shop is unionized now. Without it I am almost sure I would have never been allowed to go through the training program that more than doubled my pay. And working conditions in non union shops in my business are notoriously horrible. I was in the Graphics communications union, but it incorporated into the Teamsters. As it stands right now I'm truly glad we have them, as this cutback process would be truly uglier than it already is without them.

gracie, I agree that this would be a good time to schedule a few separate activities of some kind. I know after a few days, just sitting there with anyone can get old.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I know after a few days, just sitting there with anyone can get old.
    How are we going to avoid that at the Gutmutter Home for Retired FORTers? Even I will admit that my two jokes get boring somewhere around the 483rd telling . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

but Newf, you are bringing the speedos concept with you....that's worth several stale jokes! And I think we will be enjoying ourselves too much-we all have our own interests that we can share. Ok, who's going to start the ball rolling and call the networks?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3127950;
    What? Did I miss something?
    Ooopsy! MissKitty is had a brainfart. So sorry.

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread