+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6547Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3126443;
    Men don't vacuum. That's girl work!

COUGH COUGH** are you implying something about me here?

Not at all, gabriel. Sometimes guys HAVE to vacuum. All I'm saying is that if women are available, THEY should do it

COMPLETELY unrelated: If you need me, I'll be in the FORT witless protection program
    Last edited by Newfherder; 07-12-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: had a wrong word
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3126457;
    Not at all, gabriel. Sometimes guys HAVE to vacuum. All I'm saying is that if women are available, THEY should do it

COMPLETELY unrelated: If you need me, I'll be in the FORT witless protection program

Well actually, who says that guys HAVE to vacuum? I know plenty who wade through all the crap. We also won't tell anyone that I am seriously entertaining bids for having a "merry maids" or something cleaning service do a total cleaning of my apartment twice a week or more.

and FYI Mr. Newfherder - you can't be in the WITLESS protection program. It only has one slot and thatsa mine.

Maybe I could just go into the program part-time. Sort of a half-witless protection program.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

part time?? Well OKAY

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3126464;
    Well actually, who says that guys HAVE to vacuum? I know plenty who wade through all the crap. We also won't tell anyone that I am seriously entertaining bids for having a "merry maids" or something cleaning service do a total cleaning of my apartment twice a week or more.
    i've been curious as to how much something like that would cost too! i am NOT domestic AT ALL.

MRD

You guys have me
    I have a picture in my head of Gabriel with a big golf umbrella walking up and down the yard beside Newf in his speedo mowing.

When I was a child, my parents installed a pool. We had the power line running from the pole to the house that was partially over the pool and needed to be buried. So the company came out and dug a ditch. Not a small trench for the line, but a DITCH. Well, we got monsoon season before they could finish and the ditch is now overflowing muddy water towards the pool. My mom and grandmother decided to start digging from the ditch in the backyard to the curb so it could drain in the street and go to the storm drains and not get in the pool.
    My dad comes home from work in his suit (this is man that only mowed the yard ONE time that I can remember. My mom did anything handy around the house-even installing an underground sprinkler system by herself). So he decides that he can't let his wife and MIL work that hard in the rain, so he takes the shovel and instructs my grandmother to hold his golf umbrella over him while he takes his turn digging. I can still picture his 6 foot tall self out there in his suit and tie with the shovel and my tiny 5 foot tall grandmother holding the umbrella over him so he wouldn't get wet. She was soaked, muddy and probably fantasizing about using the pointy tip on the umbrella to do bodily harm to him.

Brunette Trixie, I hope if I ever do get to meet you, you are dressed EXACTLY like that!

I took hubby's truck this morning to the Farmer's Market. I don't even like to RIDE in it let alone drive it, but so great was my desire to get to the Farmer's market and the fresh blackberry and pasta booths, that I was almost willing to ride the bike-10 miles up and down hills. And I somehow (don't ask me how) turned on the wipers and couldn't get them to turn off, so I drove there and back in the sunshine with the wipers on.
    Did I mention that his truck has no rearview mirror? Just the side ones? And the right one was tilted down, so in order to change lanes, I had to scrunch down and bend over to look in it to see if the lane was clear. I couldn't reach it to adjust it myself.

But I ran into a friend and we sat and had breakfast together and I was telling her about the scuba mask and she was laughing so hard. She said: "you can't make that sh** up!!"
    You can't!

Gut, I had forgotten about that scene in Notting Hill. Could be that's where my daughter's boyfriend's friend (is that a mouthful?) got the idea when his glasses broke.

I was so hot, so frustrated, so tired, so resigned to more crap happening to us, that I think that I didn't even really register the whole scuba mask thing until much later. I mean, it's like a dream. That's the kind of weird stuff you dream about and wake up the next morning going: "Huh???"

Hubby went back this morning to have the car towed and it started. He drove it home and now it won't start again. So he's taken some large, greasy part up to the auto parts store for a consultation. I hope to get it running soon. After the car, he gets to help our daugters' boyfriend fix his truck. And here I had hoped he could tackle some of the chores around here this weekend. I've been doing laundry in the dark for a month now because we need a new light fixture and that was #1 on his list until the vehicle situation bumped it down.
    You have not lived until you are treating stains with a flashlight in one hand and the Spray and Wash in the other!

Barefoot
    Merry Maids is one of the more expensive companies. I know someone that uses a woman who has her own service (she is licensed and insured, but doesn't work out of an office, etc.) and she pays her $60 for cleaning her 2 bath, 3 bedroom home once a week. She cleans the bathrooms, kitchen, sweeps, mops, vaccums and dusts and changes the bed. My friend said that Merry Maids wanted to charge her about $150 for all that.

When I hit the lottery, I am getting a maid, cook and laundress. The l laundress part will come first!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I tried the maid service for a while. The initial visit was like $250 - bu that was getting things up to standard - in case I haven't mentioned - I hate housework. with a passion. as I make twice as much as hubby, I don't feel like I should have to. but neither does he.
    so $250 to get the first cleaning wasn't bad, IMO.

after that it was about 60-80 per visit. but then I stopped doing that and this weekend I have to clean my bathrooms. scrubbing floors and everything (since hubby was nice enough to scrub the kitchen ceramic tile floors last weekend.
    getting ready to move. And I will have to work hard to keep the new place clean. can't afford maid service until we sell/rent the old place out.
    But I am hiring someone to paint and carpet the side we didn't live on. get it ready to put up for rental.
    DD and her BF are planning to rent 'our' side and getting a hell of a deal. brand new applicances, carpeting, counter (nothing fancy) and my beautiful front door.
    I'm going to miss that door. cut class 3/4 window. But the new place has so many other things going for it that we can't duplicate here. I can 'maybe' get a new fancy door in about 5-10 years.

We did start paying a lawn service so hubby and I had time to enjoy ourselves. that is running like $240 /month. will be glad to get rid of that one - dd/bf will take care of lawn as part of their lower rent.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

mrd, your daughter's boyfriend's friend had me visualizing George Costanza; his glasses came up missing and he wore swim goggles. Thanks for the laugh this afternoon!

Guys, I am more than happy to vacuum just as long as I don't have to endure the Speedos! You know, some things just ought not to be. I"ll also do the laundry, but you'll all be folding your own!

I'm off to check out the 'gnats in potting soil' info!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-12-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Man, the folding part is the part of laundry I hate the most. So far today have done 4 loads. Have folded exactly ZERO loads. I am so glad that most things I wear can sit in the basket for a while before folding. (I do pull out the stuff where the wrinkles matter and hang that over the backs of chairs. I am SO lazy when it comes to laundry because I hate it so bad. I would rather clean the bathroom-scrubbing toilets too-instead of doing laundry)

I will cook if someone else does my laundry!!!!! I'll even put up with the speedos if that person were to do laundry.

Well hubby has made 465 trips to the auto parts store and we are no closer to figuring out what is exactly wrong with the car. It is not "firing". It turns over, but never catches. I have heard him moan so much about these "newer" (mine's a 1996) cars not having distributor caps until I'm sick of it. It has something to do with the "starter module". As I have been watching "In the Shadow of the Moon" about the Apollo missions, when I hear "starter module" I think he needs the full team at Mission Control in on this!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread