+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5921Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3125326;
    We've already figured out how to solve the problem of any of the three of our kids moving back in with us when they get older. We're going to move to Mexico so it won't exactly be convenient for them to just pop back in should they decide to become lazy and not make money.
    When my siblings and I were in high school (three of us, all only a year apart), my parents would joke that when I moved out to go to college (and yes, it was assumed that we would move out and be on our own!), they (mom, dad, my sister & brother) would move and leave no forwarding address. Then the following year when my sister would go to college, they'd move again -- no forwarding address. Then the year after that, when my brother went to college, Mom and Dad would move one more time.

Of course this didn't happen that way, but one summer while all three of us were in college, my parents went camping and my brother, sister, and I all happened to be staying at my parents' house at the same time. When they left on the trip, they didn't have a definite return date -- they just said, "Oh, a week or two, I guess."

So, after a week, we did this big house cleanup to surprise them when they came home. No mom and dad. Couple of days later, no mom and dad. We did a touch-up cleaning. Friends and relatives called: "Your mom and dad back from camping yet?" "Nope, not yet." "Do you know when?" "When they get sick of camping? Maybe in a couple days?"

At the two-week point, we looked at each other and said: hey, you know how Mom and Dad always joked that they'd move without telling us? Maybe this is it?

I think a day or two later, they came home. That's still one of the family stories we laugh about today!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That's funny Ellen! My mom would go on cruises and then end up staying in Mexico with some friends for 2 more weeks. As a kid I never understood her need to be away but now as a parent and an employee, I totally get it!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I guess, sometimes, kids are just not the thrill that THEY think they are, huh? And since we were all kids, I'm talking about US, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oh shay I was the worst child ever! Spoiled rotten, threw fits and as a teenager anything my mother told me not to do, I would do it! I'm so thankful my son isn't nearly as hard to handle as I was!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I don't know, buglover. If my parents moved to Mexico that would give me more incentive to quit my job and go mooch off of them. lol.

I had to bounce back to my parents once, it was so humiliating. It wasn't so much a money thing as much as I couldn't find an apartment I could afford and that would allow me to keep my two dogs. So it was move back to my parents or give up my dogs. You can guess how easy it was for me to make that choice. I was working and able to contribute financially so my parents didn't even mind having me. My mom actually really like having me as a "tenant" because she used the money I gave her to hire a cleaning woman.

I moved in with my mother when I got married and was pregnant with my son. It was really hard. She had so many rules, and once she walked in on my husband and I!!! We moved out shortly after that.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3125076;
    I'm SO IN!!!! Can Corky (my cat) come, too?
    Hey! I thought we were going to do something with weeds.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

When my son graduates college, we pretty much expect him to live at home for a while while he saves money (unless he gets a really good job off the bat and moves to another city). My husband and I have no problem with him being at home, but we do expect him to pay for certain things. My husband and all his brothers lived with his parents at various ages of adulthood while making their way and when my husband was in flight school my son and I lived with my parents for a year.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't condone any mooching once someone becomes of age to work and pay for things. But I don't think it's a big deal for 20-somethings to live with their parents as long as they share costs and save up to move out. And when life throws a curve, if someone older needs to move in with the folks (or the folks need to move in with the children) then I don't see any problems with that as long as everyone understands what's expected of them. Sometimes we need to lean on family to make it through a rough patch.

But then again, it could be hard to get rid of someone if they become too comfortable. Welcomes do wear out eventually no matter how good the intentions were to begin with. My in-laws have been known to buy another house to move into and left a few adult children behind in the old home to pay the bills .

However after saying all that, there's NO WAY I could live with my mom at my age. She and I are total opposites and it would not work. She had to live with me and my husband for a little while years ago and it was not fun. I was the parent pretty much. My father is remarried to a woman I only tolerate so there's no worries of me moving in with them either.

But as for my son, I would enjoy his company and as long as he could make his car payment and insurance, work and save money to move out eventually, then I'd like a little more time with him before he gets out there in the world especially since he's been away at college for three years .

Gut, I'd love to come, too, but you've got to make Newf sign a contract not to strut around in his Speedos!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Here's a question I forgot to ask my fellow FoRTers: Does anyone know anything about gnats in potting soil, and how to get rid of them?

+ Reply to Thread