+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6264Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    What's left for me to make decisions on is stuff I didn't want to part with, but really should....like Dad's old chrome flashlight, his oil can I used to oil my roller skates with and his thermos that he took to work everyday. Mom's little rock collections....see I'm so sentimental
    Oh, I'm not much for rocks but I would definitely save the thermos he took to work. If you have room in your house, maybe save a couple pieces like that. To me, that's more valuable than "heirlooms" (although I like those just fine as well).

To me, that's more valuable than "heirlooms"
    I agree. After Mom passed away, all that I wanted from the estate (a mighty fancy word for our humble means ) was the old popcorn popper and the tattered squadron album from when Dad was in the Army Air Corp.

Quick side story--All of the siblings (there are nine of us) were allowed to lay claim to whatever household good we wanted. As far as I'm aware, there were NO conflicts over who got what, and NO squabbling over what things were worth. For example, one sister got all of the hand-carved walnut dining room furniture, my brother the pastor got the towels/sheets/bedding for his very poor parish, and I got my popcorn popper, and we all went away happy.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I agree. After Mom passed away, all that I wanted from the estate (a mighty fancy word for our humble means ) was the old popcorn popper and the tattered squadron album from when Dad was in the Army Air Corp.
    Yup, I save stuff like that as well. We've got a fairly large house so there's room to put stuff. But I also use some of these items as decoration. For instance, my husband's grandparents had an old set of drinking glasses and a small urn. Nothin fancy or worth anything, except to us as a part of family history. We put them on display on top of our wine rack (which has a small tray on top for displaying items). It takes up no more room than the wine rack would've--and everyone always asks about the glasses/urn 'cause they're so unique looking. We've got all the old photos stored away in archival quality boxes (to help keep them fading even more) and we've been scanning those onto the computer as time permits and making CDs of these one-of-a-kind photos to share with cousins, siblings etc. Those are great projects for when you're snowed/rained in. I saved a trench coat my grandpa had tailor made for him--it had his name embroidered into the lining. It's a little tattered from time, but I have it hanging in an armoire, 'cause it reminds me of him. I always remember him putting on this lovely coat (and his hat and tie) before he went out for his walk around the neighborhood. He always dressed so nattily. I miss my grandpa.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Lois: I've always like to keep knickknacks lying about. Little treasures I've found or were given to me. Problem is, with the girls everything is in constant danger. More and more treasures are being put away or given to others so they can continue to be enjoyed.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Mom and dad had nothing of real monatary value. Mom had a few old dishes she enjoyed collecting..a few coins, some $2 dollar bills.....boxes and bags of old bills and mail.....odds and ends of furniture. My sister and I were very sensitive and upfront with each other with what we wanted. We both felt nothing Mom had was worth more than our relationship as sisters. We actually had fun pulling things out saying "you won't believe what I found or remember this", laughing and reminding each other of stories as we dug through Mom's stuff Other times the memories would bring us to tears.

Since my sister lives in Florida where fabrics are suseptable to rot, I got Dad's Air Force jacket and Mom's little navy blue crepe dress she wore for her wedding.

Still working on the stuff. My daughter came over and helped me today so it made it a little easier to make decisions.

Lois Lane I have tubs of photos in the spare closet. That's such a good idea of putting your pictures into archive boxes. I need to get my sister and I some archive boxes to sort the pics into. Where did you get your boxes?
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Lois: I've always like to keep knickknacks lying about. Little treasures I've found or were given to me. Problem is, with the girls everything is in constant danger. More and more treasures are being put away or given to others so they can continue to be enjoyed.
    Awwwww, well, your little girls are a living legacy to be enjoyed right now.

Vonna, I've been using photo boxes from a brand called KOLO (google their name and you'll find the web site, which I think we're not allowed to post in the FORT). They have a website and stores sell them, too--I think some of the bookstore chains and the stationery boutiques. I got a bunch of them for my wedding and thought they were great for that. A photographer friend told me when you buy these type of things for archiving, look for boxes with paper lining that's acid-free and lignin-free. I don't know what lignin is, but it's supposed to be free of it! I'm not sure if maybe a scrapbooking place might not carry similar boxes for a lot cheaper. The KOLO ones are kinda expensive, as I found out when I went to buy some for myself.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    Mom and dad had nothing of real monatary value. Mom had a few old dishes she enjoyed collecting..a few coins, some $2 dollar bills.....boxes and bags of old bills and mail.....odds and ends of furniture. My sister and I were very sensitive and upfront with each other with what we wanted. We both felt nothing Mom had was worth more than our relationship as sisters. We actually had fun pulling things out saying "you won't believe what I found or remember this", laughing and reminding each other of stories as we dug through Mom's stuff Other times the memories would bring us to tears.

Since my sister lives in Florida where fabrics are suseptable to rot, I got Dad's Air Force jacket and Mom's little navy blue crepe dress she wore for her wedding.

Still working on the stuff. My daughter came over and helped me today so it made it a little easier to make decisions.

Lois Lane I have tubs of photos in the spare closet. That's such a good idea of putting your pictures into archive boxes. I need to get my sister and I some archive boxes to sort the pics into. Where did you get your boxes?
    You can archival boxes for your textiles too to protect them. I used to get a great catalog of archival products, but can't remember the name. Did 2 searches and came up with these links:

http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/Inforequest.asp

http://www.archivalmethods.com/?gcli...FS8ROAodQAauZw

Make sure you label your photos. I have so many of my parents photos were they are not labeled and I don't know who is who or when it was taken.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Vonna - I thought I was the only one! My grandmother had a chrome flashlight and I made sure that I got to keep that after she passed away. I have a lot of her things, but that flashlight is very special to me.

Several people have mentioned saving photos in this thread. Have y'all seen the digital picture frames? We just purchased one for my father (he's about to turn 70). It's a GREAT way to display photos - most of the frames use any kind of memory card and it's just a matter of sticking the card in the frame and plugging it in.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD
    Ok, my entire home is furnished with stuff from my parents, grandparents, aunts, great grandparents.

Right now I am sitting at the desk my great-grandfather built himself and worked at for years and years in his office. I'm sure he finds it funny that it has a computer on it now.

I have a hutch that belonged to my parents and its filled with "artifacts" from a thermos and picnic basket of my great-aunts, a duck decoy of my dad's (he never hunted, don't know why he had this), A nixon campaign hat of his, I have my mom's eyeglasses and bible. The chairs at my kitchen table were wooden office chairs my grandfather bought and were used in our business until it was sold and I got the chairs (we had a 110 year old family business that got sold in the 90's because none of us children wanted to live in that town anymore or run that business)

I am planning to make valances and sofa pillows from 50 year old drapes that hung in my grandfathers office that deipict scenes from the Civil War and everyone wanted to know why I wanted those things.

I have my grandmothers old camera, her wicker furniture, my great aunts dining room set and china, my great-grandmothers china cabinet and antique chocolate set (for hot chocolate), my piano from when I was a little girl, my childsize rolltop desk from my childhood which was an antique then and even more so now.

Seems that the only things that me and my husband have bought are the kitchen table, the family room chairs and entertainment center and our bed.

Everything else we own in this house belonged to somone in my family at one time. I also have a lot of antique kitchen utensils and copper jello molds of my great aunts and grandmothers. Oh and my grandmothers corner cabinet. Oh and I cook with a cast iron skillet that was given to me as a wedding present in 1989 and it was a wedding present to my great grandmother when she got married in 1888, so at the time it was 101 years old. Now its 118. I use it almost every day.

And the weirdest thing? I have a shadow box that has a crochet wreath of flowers in it that belonged to someone in the family (everyone has forgotten who) around the 1860's. It is made of human hair and before you say gross as everyone does. You can't tell its hair and apparantly this type of "art" was very popular during that time period. anyway its some ancestors hair.
    Saw one on the antiques road show that was NOT in the original frame and it was worth $4000. Ripley's also has a big collection of them. We call it the "hair thing"

Anyway, all these people are gone, but I feel like they are here with me as I have so many memories in every room of the special people in my life.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Ok, my entire home is furnished with stuff from my parents, grandparents, aunts, great grandparents.
    Myrosiedog--You truly have my dream home!! *drool, drool*

My grandparents and greatgrandparents lost everything in the Great Depression....their ranches, dairies, houses, etc and my grandparents never recovered from it......Grandpa died when I was still in high school. I remember after the funeral we all went to his house and Dad was the executor...and stood around....no one wanted anything except a couple of Roseville vases, a rifle, and the Lee doll. I'm telling you their house was barebones even thirty some years after the depression.

Miss Vonna is there thinking hummm???? No one wants any of these treasures .......So I asked for a simple library table...they all looked at me like "who would want that ole thing" I was happy.....

Then Miss Vonna went into the kitchen....yes a teen started snooping through the kitchen cupboards and found four pretty pink glass plates.....The family looked at me like I was crazy again and smirked "sure you can have those." By the way, they're depression glass pink Mayfair pattern (thought they were cute had no idea) which I have been collecting the last few years to go with the plates from originally my greatgrandmothers.....and Dad told me Greatgrandmother served birthday cake on them for everyone's birthdays....

I also took some framed old photos of my great great great grandmother.....nobody wanted (in the trash) I'm sure my uncles would love to have that stuff now.....too late

I just love memories......have dad's pocket knives...a few of his cuff links and tie clasps...his measuring tape he carried in his pocket..... Thanks everyone! I love hearing how y'all enjoy those simple "treasures"....My family thinks I'm nuts for saving those things

You know rosie, most everything I have has been handed down to me.....cause I prefer older stuff....(the older the better) or, I have purchased at an estate sale or auction..even yard sale....would perfer handmedowns

The only new furniture I have is my computer table and chair.....but will replace the computer table when I find a nice older one that fits into my puter nook.

Thanks for the websites for the archival boxes! I'm thinking, also, about getting a box for each of Mom's grandkids and making a memory box for each....need to do that...

doxieI have never ever seen a digital frame...wow..cool!

Lois LaneGood to know about boxes being lignin-free
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread