+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

During the day if I can open the windows I will. But right now it's just too hot until probably late September and the A/C is set on about 78. I can't leave it off when we're not home because it would be a furnace in here otherwise and we have the pet's comfort to think about. I run colder than my husband so we battle sometimes over the temperature. The only time I like it really cold is at night. I can't stand to be hot when I'm sleeping and set it at around 74 or 75.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

During the day when no one's home, we don't leave the air conditioner on. Our basement and first floor remain surprisingly cool and that's where Corky (our cat) parks himself when the rest of the house gets too hot. When we're home, we turn the air on to 77 F. At night, we move it to about 75 or 76... but we have a timer that turns it off at about 2 a.m. By the, the house has cooled down and we usually don't need AC then. The timer turns the AC on about 30 minutes before we come home from work. We have two furnaces etc. so we can cool the upstairs, downstairs or both. So when we're watching TV or hanging out downstairs, we turn the AC upstairs off and don't turn that on until bedtime.

MRD

we have a programmable thermostat which is great because it raises the temp after we get up and lowers it just before bedtime and has saved us tons of money. The funny thing is that winter or summer, I still wear flannel pj pants. I can't stand for my legs to be cold. While none of us can sleep if it's too hot, I also can't sleep if I'm too cold. So I have my mattrress pad warmer on low in the summer and on high in the winter and wear flannel pj's year round. I'm weird, I know.

We had a "microburst" during a thunderstorm this afternoon. We had hail and our umbrella on the patio table went sailing 2 yards down. There were so many trees down in our neighborhood, we almost couldn't get out this evening. It was mostly concentrated in a 4 block area just a block from our house. One huge cedar was totally uprooted. The rest were sheared off on the trunks.
    The dogs were FREAKING out. They don't like thunderstorms at all, but this was even worse than usual and now I know why. Fortunately the storm didn't last long, but it has left a lot of tree and yard damage in the neighborhood. Trash cans and even mailboxes were scattered up and down the street.
    And we were totally oblivious in the house other than saying: "wow, this is a bad thunderstorm" and the dogs being just beside themselves.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Those microbursts are strange things. We had one here last spring and it did a lot of damage to our town. It just looked as if a giant hand had swooped down on our town and flattened everything in it's path. But where one tree would be totally uprooted, next to it would be perfectly fine trees.

I happened to glance outside when it came through and it was during a thunderstorm. A huge blast of air, pushing trees sideways and gone in about 10 seconds. I thought I was seeing things it happened so fast.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

We were supposed to have a major heat wave, however here near the coast it has been so overcast I cannot even see the mountains. In the valley it's been nearly 100 deg but here we are lucky to break 75.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I posted in the weather thread about our weather in the Central Valley. We are to hit 110 today, and the humidity is UP!! This is just miserable The humidity really makes the heat so much harder to bear...

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3121256;
    I posted in the weather thread about our weather in the Central Valley. We are to hit 110 today, and the humidity is UP!! This is just miserable The humidity really makes the heat so much harder to bear...
    I totally understand! I cannot understand why people love Florida when it's so humid all the time.
    Today I am taking time off to kick it by the pool and it is so overcast! It is beginning to burn off but I don't think it will be very hot. Our pool is not heated so last night it dropped to 57 deg and that means the pool lost any heat it gathered during the day yesterday.
    Yup, with donuts!!

. . . and that means the pool lost any heat it gathered during the day yesterday.
    Two words: thermal inertia. It takes longer to heat water than air, and it takes longer to cool, too. You won't lose all of your gain.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3121201;
    We were supposed to have a major heat wave, however here near the coast it has been so overcast I cannot even see the mountains. In the valley it's been nearly 100 deg but here we are lucky to break 75.
    After last August's heat wave, and with the early wildfires this year, I'm not complaining about the clouds or cooler weather at all!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I know. The fire in Goleta is making it a little hard to breathe here. The sinuses are plugged up and most people I know are experiencing headaches.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread