+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6518Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks ladies!!!!

New developments with our stolen vehicle.

We got it back 4 days after it was stolen, with over $4000 worth of damages to it and an empty gas tank. The interior was stripped clean - they even took our maps!
    Yesterday an undercover detective came over to get a statement from us. They found the person who stole our car! They arrested him and have charged him with possession of stolen property (apparently they can't charge him with the theft of the auto unless he confesses to it because there were no witnesses). He was the getaway driver for a mini crime spree, he picked up 2 of his girlfriends, took them to Winners where they loaded up their arms with clothes and then ran out the front door - in broad daylight.
    Did I mention that the girls were caught on survaillance tape? Did I mention that they were wearing their school uniforms? Yeah - not too bright, we only have 4 schools with uniforms around here. The girls have been charged with possession of stolen property of our SUV, plus what ever they took from Winners. The boy is also facing charges of break, enter and theft for breaking into his school and taking 25 laptops.

All three kids are 15 years old.

What are 15 yr olds doing out at 1am? (about the time that our SUV was stolen) How does a 15 yr old have the confidence, practice and plain old 'balls' to drive around town, expecting not to be caught (but leaving his thumbprints in the shape of a happy face on the driver's side interior windshield)?

This whole thing makes me shake my head. I know the kid is going to end up in juvenille detention for the collection of crimes but I want him to be accountable to us. We have to pony up the $300 deductible, we had to replace what was stolen from inside the car (wallet, CDs, sunglasses, the car owner's manual, maps, small items... they even took my pen from the glovebox!)
    I want to see the kid make restitution but I know you can't get blood from a stone so, after he gets out I think he should have to serve community service hours at my house. We are re-shingling the roof next year... we could give him a taste of good honest work.
    I know I should count myself lucky that we got the vehicle back at all and they have even caught the person(s) who took it, but it doesn't alleviate my sense affronted violation one little bit!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Great news about getting your car back. It seems like the criminals have a better deal than the victims do.

MRD

Duxxy, can you take him to small claims court to recover the deductible?

Remember back in Feb., I told about the girl that was murdered in Florida and my friends daughter made the 911 call after her idiot father witnessed the abduction and did nothing to help?
    Well the daughter will be on 20/20 this coming Fri. (July 11) She and her mom just got back from the taping in NY.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I've not been able to get that out of my mind! Thanks!

I want him to be accountable to us. We have to pony up the $300 deductible, we had to replace what was stolen from inside the car (wallet, CDs, sunglasses, the car owner's manual, maps, small items... they even took my pen from the glovebox!)
    I want to see the kid make restitution but I know you can't get blood from a stone so, after he gets out I think he should have to serve community service hours at my house. We are re-shingling the roof next year... we could give him a taste of good honest work.
    Sue his butt, and his parents, in small claims for everything that you are out. I think having him work off his debt in your service is a BAD idea. You assume liability for his well-being when he is pretending to work for you, and I can't imagine that he'd be of much use.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3118165;
    Sue his butt, and his parents, in small claims for everything that you are out. I think having him work off his debt in your service is a BAD idea. You assume liability for his well-being when he is pretending to work for you, and I can't imagine that he'd be of much use.
    DITTO...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Question---what temp do you all keep your a/c set on in the summer?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

77' during the day and 78' at night.

Edited to add - if no one is home during the day, we push it up to 82'

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3118394;
    Question---what temp do you all keep your a/c set on in the summer?
    We don't have A/C in our apartment -- just windows and fans.
    (But there are about two weeks out of the year when I wish we had A/C; if we did, I'd set it at 82F)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread