+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5855Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Well I think with Buddhism or meditation you can take it as far or as little as you want and what you're comfortable with.

I know Gutmutter is out of town, but she has had some amazing meditation experiences and she credits meditation with her being able to cope so well with her breast cancer and for also helping her heal. Maybe when she gets back, she can share because her experiences with it have really made me want to explore this a whole lot further.

I honestly believe that there is a strong mind/body connection that can be harnessed through meditation. If it can relieve stress and emotions, why not help the body heal itself from disease.
    I am looking for it to help me both physically and mentally.

And I credit Gut for getting me into it in the first place.

Ellen, that's so cool it's working so well for your husband. I know that on the days I'm able to shut off my mind and really meditate, I have incredible energy and focus. But I have trouble shutting off my mind which is why I've decided to try to get some instruction.

I want to get off some of the medication I have been taking and I think that it will help me with that. I take an anti-anxiety medication and really would like to quit taking it. Now, I wouldn't get off any medication without talking to my doctor first and wouldn't get off something serious. But if I can control my anxiety and panic attacks through meditation, then I think it would be beneficial to get off the anti-anxiety meds as they can be addictive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you prhoshay, Ellen and mrd for the meditation advice. I think I'll start with maybe checking a book out from the library. I googled some local information but not sure if I want to go to any of the places I found. One of them was a Krishna site and I know that's not for me (no offense to any Krishna forters). Anyway, I'm in a gray place right now and undecided about many things. I think meditation will be good for me.

Thought I'd share this funny story. I save all my receipts until the bank statement comes. Then I match them up and shred the unimportant ones and keep the ones with items I may need to return. I was looking at a grocery receipt and glanced at the items and saw "marijuana" . It was actually "marinara" but for some reason my mind translated it differently. I promise, I don't indulge in that stuff. I don't know why my mind went there . That receipt has been shredded.

MRD, you also might want to check out your local yoga studio. My yoga studio does a meditation program at least once a week and a really big one once a month that goes on for a couple of hours. People seem to love it. I do the little before yoga class but I can not turn my brain off during it. I do better when actually practicing yoga because I concentrate on the poses so much I can slow down my mind. Plus, most yoga is derived from Buddhist practice and there is absolutely no recruiting going on.

MRD

Actually the practice of yoga is to keep the body flexible so that meditation can be done more effectively. If you can't sit still for an hour because your back hurts, then you can't meditate well. Or so I've read. So the yoga is actually an exercise to keep the body flexible and in shape so the mind can work more effectively.

I can't really afford to go to a yoga studio for classes right now which is why I explored the Buddhist temple.

Archie-STAY AWAY FROM THE KRISHNAS!!! (not to offend any Krishna forters), but I have experience with the Krishnas. When I was in college they were my neighbors and let me just say that I prefer the loud motorcycle neighbor I have now over the Krishnas I had then.

Just like any religion there will always be extremists and I think the Krishnas are an extreme sect of Buddhism.

And Archie, I've had that happen before where I read or saw something that my mind translated wrong. So the marijuna/marinara sounds interesting. Party at Archie's house with some far out spagetti!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3094067;
    Interesting. I've been discussing Buddhism with my nail tech, who is devout, and did you know that devout Buddhists of a particular kind do not eat garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, or chives (not the veggies, nor seasoning of these natures), and no meat (knowlingly)? For me, that would be a case of "Just kill me now!".

It's pretty interesting.
    No garlic? As an Italian-American, I find that unfathomable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As an non-Italian-American, I find that unfathomable.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

It's interesting how different religions have different beliefs about food.
    When I was doing the research for my lecture I can across the interesting fact that the Cherokkee's used wild onions or ramps as purification of the body. They belived that they thinned and cleansed the blood after winter and they also used them in ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3094396;
    Party at Archie's house with some far out spagetti!
    I'll bring the brownies for dessert!

Speaking of going over bank statements, I could have slapped my son up the side of his head one time when he thought he was being funny. He needed some work done on his car, didn't have enough to cover it, so hubby wrote out the check and son would pay him back when he got his next paycheck. So my pride and joy writes out the check to my husband and in the "Memo" section wrote "For sexual favours" I couldn't believe it! Neither of us looked at it before it was deposited into the checking account. All I could think of was the women at the bank seeing that written there.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3094396;
    Actually the practice of yoga is to keep the body flexible so that meditation can be done more effectively. If you can't sit still for an hour because your back hurts, then you can't meditate well. Or so I've read. So the yoga is actually an exercise to keep the body flexible and in shape so the mind can work more effectively.

I can't really afford to go to a yoga studio for classes right now which is why I explored the Buddhist temple.

A
    MRD, maybe you would like to try my kind of meditation--it's free, you just have to make time for it. I don't get to do it too often but my favorite way to meditate is to get in the lake at the state park eary in the morning ahead of anyone else, so there's no noise, and just FLOAT for an hour--or more. Eyes can be open or closed (annother reason to do it early, keeps you from going blind!) With your ears under water, no pressure points and nothing to stimulate you, just concentrate on your breathing. I am serious.
    Another water thing I like that sounds backward but works great, but that I very rarely get to do due to distance from a good river, is to sit in cold, flowing water up to my neck, with my eyes closed. After about 30 minutes almost all my arthritis and foot pain, plus muscle pain (FM, probably) is gone and stays away all day, plus my mind is completely refreshed; I wish I had a good spring to sit in! I have considered getting one of those 10 foot round pools to fill with cold water, but my water bill would go out of sight--when the water gets too warm (over 82 F) my floating meditation doesn't work nearly as well. Well the floating part is still mentally cleansing, but not so much for pain removal.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3094950;
    Speaking of going over bank statements, I could have slapped my son up the side of his head one time when he thought he was being funny. He needed some work done on his car, didn't have enough to cover it, so hubby wrote out the check and son would pay him back when he got his next paycheck. So my pride and joy writes out the check to my husband and in the "Memo" section wrote "For sexual favours" I couldn't believe it! Neither of us looked at it before it was deposited into the checking account. All I could think of was the women at the bank seeing that written there.
    Sorry MamaC, but I'm finding your pride and joy to be highly, albeit inappropriately, amusing .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread