+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6260Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've had to crack the whip on the milk situation in the house. My son can go through an entire gallon in 2 days with a whole box of cereal! Milk is really expensive and I have purchased lunch meats and bread, peanut butter, etc. for him to eat to his heart's content. One day I'm going to lock the fridge so he can't go through $6 worth of milk in 2 days!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3092525;
    I've had to crack the whip on the milk situation in the house. My son can go through an entire gallon in 2 days with a whole box of cereal! Milk is really expensive and I have purchased lunch meats and bread, peanut butter, etc. for him to eat to his heart's content. One day I'm going to lock the fridge so he can't go through $6 worth of milk in 2 days!
    I have felt that at times I need to hide certain food so it would be there when I needed it to make a recipe. And have also contemplated locking the refrigerator or the pantry (usually from myself. )

But milk has skyrocketed. I'm glad we are not huge milk drinkers here, because it's gotten outrageous.

(and thank you so much because after your whip comment, I have that old Devo song stuck in my head. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Whip it good MRD!

I had to hide the carrot muffins from Mr buglover last night. He asked me to because he felt he was going to eat them all!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3092548;
    Whip it good MRD!

I had to hide the carrot muffins from Mr buglover last night. He asked me to because he felt he was going to eat them all!
    I have a friend that thought that old BTO song: Taking Care of Business was "Baking Carrot Biscuits" and she wanted to know why they were having to bake carrot biscuits while working overtime.

so now I've got a weird hodgepodge of Crack that whip....whip it good and Taking care of business going around in my head. Where is the off switch???

I took the plunge and called the Buddhist temple here about meditation classes. I need to learn to turn off my brain and redirect some of that energy into something that is going to help me for a change. I had been doing it on my own and with someone else, but I fell out of the habit and want to get back into it as I have found that when I can really meditate well, I have SO much energy and can accomplish so much more. But I can't always meditate well and I think I need help. So my summer project now is going to be learning to meditate.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Boys appetites are amazing, aren't they? If they know something is in the house, they will eat it until it's gone! And quickly. The good thing about your situation, bug, (and I'm always looking for that silver lining!) is that he's eating healthy food, and it's not just sitting there and spoiling. Nothing worse than having to throw out good food that you have paid good money for. My son tells me that the OJ that I buy always tastes better than what he buys! I have to threaten him to come to a stopping point so that other people can have some. It's right up there with chocolate or gummi worms/bears for me...if I know it's in the house.....IT'S ON!!! Thus I don't buy chocolate or gummis a lot!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3092601;
    I took the plunge and called the Buddhist temple here about meditation classes. I need to learn to turn off my brain and redirect some of that energy into something that is going to help me for a change. I had been doing it on my own and with someone else, but I fell out of the habit and want to get back into it as I have found that when I can really meditate well, I have SO much energy and can accomplish so much more. But I can't always meditate well and I think I need help. So my summer project now is going to be learning to meditate.
    Wow, what a coincidence. While I was out running errands today I had the notion pop in my head that I really need to learn meditation to help make me a more calm and relaxed person. I don't even know where to go around where I live but I haven't checked the phone book or online yet so I'm sure I'll be able to find something. I just want to make sure I learn from someone who know's what they're doing and not just someone who had an idea to "open a meditation center".

Let me know what you find out. I don't know if there are any Buddhist temples here or if they would even offer classes but I will try to find out.

I may be wrong, but don't you first have to get past the "I want it (meditation) and I want it NOW!" thing?? I went through a really difficult period in my life, and I turned inward and did some serious self-study/learning. It took me a very long time, but it was rewarding and it was worth it. I just spent a lot of time by myself and WITH myself in deep "mental dialog"...I don't know how else to describe it. I learned a lot about myself and how I fit in with the world. Maybe that's why I don't get too rattled about too much to this day. It wasn't easy, but it was incredibly revealing and worth the time it took go get to an awareness avenue. And it could be tiring, too, but it did bring so many things into focus. And it continues. It is my serious "me" time. Maybe if I had gone to a "meditation center" (other than me), I would have done things more quickly? But I don't think that would have eliminated my need for continuation. I guess I don't know about "formal, structured" meditation; just my own version.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My husband bought and has been following a relatively easy meditation book/method, and I'm so amazed at his progress -- and the fact that it's so do-able and not time-consuming -- that I'm going to snatch his book as soon as he's done and take it up myself. He didn't like how he was reacting to stressors: stuffing his feelings, then blowing up and flying off the handle at a "last straw" annoyance. He now deals with stressors appropriately and immediately, and says he feels a lot better in general.

The book is 8 Minute Meditation by Victor Davich, paperback, copyright 2004. It's $12.95 new, but I think he got it for just a few bucks used on Amazon.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3093221;
    Wow, what a coincidence. While I was out running errands today I had the notion pop in my head that I really need to learn meditation to help make me a more calm and relaxed person. I don't even know where to go around where I live but I haven't checked the phone book or online yet so I'm sure I'll be able to find something. I just want to make sure I learn from someone who know's what they're doing and not just someone who had an idea to "open a meditation center".

Let me know what you find out. I don't know if there are any Buddhist temples here or if they would even offer classes but I will try to find out.
    Archie as one who believes in signs, let me say that I've had ideas pop into my head like that and when I've acted on them, the best results have followed.
    I just googled buddhists in my town and it came up with the temple's webpage which was quite nice and listed what they offered.

I too didn't want to go to just someone who had opened up something. I have read some great books and articles on meditation and I highly reccomend it. But I think the Buddhists are going to work for me as I highly believe in a lot of their philosophies and they don't try to recruit you. They don't want to recruit you to be Buddhist. If you are a Christian or a Jew or whatever, they "work with that" and use it in the principals of meditation.
    I talked to my neice who is Buddhist and she says that it is possible to be a Christian Buddhist if you so desire. So I liked the fact that I don't have to learn a new religon or get recruited into a new religion in order to learn to center myself.
    I feel like there are loose ends of me flying all around and I need to pull them together and that through meditation I can do that.

And there are all kinds of different types of meditation and there is one for everyone, even the novice. But part of what meditation does for you is get past the "I want it and I want it now" problem.

So Archie, I'd reccomend starting with maybe finding a Buddhist temple in your area first and seeing what they offer. (and from what my neice says, they don't charge for this. They do accept donations, but they don't say you have to pay $50 a meditation class. They accept what you are able to pay a nd if you aren't able to pay anything, they accept that too. So I don't know if that holds true for all Buddhist temples, but she seemed to be pretty confident that it is the "nature" of all Buddhist temples that teach meditation to do it in a very open, loving manner without attaching a fixed price to it.)

Interesting. I've been discussing Buddhism with my nail tech, who is devout, and did you know that devout Buddhists of a particular kind do not eat garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, or chives (not the veggies, nor seasoning of these natures), and no meat (knowlingly)? For me, that would be a case of "Just kill me now!".

It's pretty interesting.

+ Reply to Thread