+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6921Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3087301;
    I was talking about countertops with a friend and he mentionned siltstone, which is apparently as nice looking and resistant as granite, but less expensive. Does anyone have experience with it? Same with bamboo flooring versus oak wood floors.
    My parents installed Silestone about 5 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was installed. It is actually better than granite in one respect: you don't have to do a damn thing to it--no sealing or anything. You can put the hottest pot or pan on it and it won't scar. Also, because they wanted a dark, nearly black color, Silestone offered a more consistent color for the whole counter than a couple of pieces of granite would. I really want to do Silestone in my kitchen one day because of the ease of care, though. (It's on the list of "one days" for my house, along with new kitchen cabinets.) My only bit of caution is to watch the installers like a hawk. Mom left the room for one minute and they started cutting the hole for the drop-in cooktop in the wrong place (despite the vent hood already having been installed). She chased them out of the house and had Home Depot on the phone in about 2 seconds. They ended up ordering a whole new piece and sent out different guys to cut the hole in the right place. I think the previous installers were too frightened to come back!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3087404;
    If you got At&t, you are the screwed. I predominantly get week signals. Even by the window.
    It's Virgin Mobile (virgins on the go!) - apparently works off of Sprint towers. I haven't had any trouble so far. I need to have my daughter give me a lesson so I at least know how to turn it off and on. I'll take the manual with me to read in the airport. Too much to do before I go home for the 4th.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3088643;
    My parents installed Silestone about 5 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was installed. It is actually better than granite in one respect: you don't have to do a damn thing to it--no sealing or anything. You can put the hottest pot or pan on it and it won't scar. Also, because they wanted a dark, nearly black color, Silestone offered a more consistent color for the whole counter than a couple of pieces of granite would.
    All black is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking into it. My husband and I are debating 2 options. Selling our 32 year old revenue home and buying a brand spanking new single dwelling house or getting some sort of loan to completely renovate the revenue home. There are big advantages and disadvantages to both options.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3087389;
    I finally got a cell phone - the pay as you go kind, and was starting to read the instructions. So far I've learned that you should never put it in a microwave oven or let an infant chew on the battery.
    If the battery goes dead, don't get peed off and throw it in a campfire either. I did that with a new watch that kept stopping, and it blew up...and a cell phone battery is lots bigger.
    ( Furthermore, about 30 after the watch battery blew up, I was waklking around our grassy campsite in bare feet, and guess what? That's righ I stepped on the blasted battery which was still only a few degrees cooler than molten lava, and it cauterized itself onto the bottom of my foot, right in the tender part of the arch. Ruined my small drinky poo buzz, I tell you what. )
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3088533;
    MRD - I had a giant hissy fit today too. Mr. Doxie was out of town all last week and I spent a LOT of time cleaning up his little piles of paper and nasty used dishes that he'd left on his desk. I also cleaned out a TON of stuff to donate to the charity that is picking up on our street on Monday. We got a lot of new things as wedding presents and I thought it would be nice to give the older things away. Well, the packrat got home last night (after forgetting which lot he parked MY car in at the ATL airport and getting on the wrong parking shuttle) and today, he started debating some of the things that I'd chosen to donate. It was mostly sheets and towels and kitchen items because we just got a bunch of wedding presents and who needs that many towels or muffin pans? I had also cleaned out my closet and mentioned to him that he should do the same since this was a good opportunity to clear some clutter out. He has not cleaned out his closet since we moved into this house SIX years ago and I bet he hasn't worn half of that stuff since then either. He acted like I was asking him to give me a kidney. But, finally, we got it all sorted out and it's all piled up and ready to be picked up. I also made about $10.00 because he leaves little piles of change all over the place and that was the FIRST thing I cleaned up.
    I can beat that. Last winter, my husband pulled out a long sleeved shirt to wear that I gave him when we were DATING more than 20 years ago. We've moved about 6 times since then. He has several clothing items like that. When I mentioned that shirt, he said: "it's still good". Yeah, but it's very out of date and I proceeded to pull out a photo of him wearing it a full YEAR before we got married.

Shay, my house should be called the halfway house as well.
    Hubby doesn't dally around when he does work for other people. He's pretty efficient and also a perfectionist, but it he can get the job done in good time because he wants to get PAID and the longer it takes him , the longer it takes to get paid. It's just our house. Maybe I should pay him to do the work around here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I see nothing wrong with having a 20-year-old shirt I have a couple that are so worn that they are practically see-through, but they are comfortable. As for in or out of style, BAH! My style of Speedos and wife-beaters jeans and flannels is timeless.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Isn't that called "shirt vapor"?

mrd, maybe if you threaten to hire somebody else to come into your house and do what you want, he'd 'git 'er done!' You know a dog doesn't want another dog p***ing in his yard!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Here's how my mom "trained" my dad to get stuff done in a timely manner around the house:
    Dad is retired now, but he was an electrician. Installing outlets? Piece of cake! 10 -15 minutes tops. Okay, early in their marriage, Mom was having trouble with the outlet in the basement for the washing machine. The outlet was near the floor, so whenever water seeped in after a rainstorm or for whatever reason water gets into the basement in the Midwest, she was often in for a nasty (electrical) shock. Not electrocution-worthy, but still . . . So Mom asked Dad to install an outlet higher up on the wall, kind of level with the top of the machine. He kept putting it off and putting it off. Finally, Mom got fed up and gave him a deadline -- and if the outlet still wasn't installed at said deadline, she would call another electrician to do the work. Dad, not yet realizing that my mom doesn't give idle threats, laughed and gave her a business card for another electrician, "Here's my competition!"

The deadline came and went. Mom called the guy from the business card. Mom got her outlet. Mom presented Dad with the bill for less than a half-hour's work.

From that time forward, if Mom ever even looked like she was thinking about wanting an outlet somewhere, Dad was there with his toolbox in seconds!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3088725;
    If the battery goes dead, don't get peed off and throw it in a campfire either. I did that with a new watch that kept stopping, and it blew up...and a cell phone battery is lots bigger.
    ( Furthermore, about 30 after the watch battery blew up, I was waklking around our grassy campsite in bare feet, and guess what? That's righ I stepped on the blasted battery which was still only a few degrees cooler than molten lava, and it cauterized itself onto the bottom of my foot, right in the tender part of the arch. Ruined my small drinky poo buzz, I tell you what. )
    I bet. I'm sorry you got burned, but that one sentence had me

Gut, my daughter has the virgin mobile phone and it has been GREAT! We cannot complain about the service at all.

See the problem with me doing what your mom did Ellen, is that we'd have a major fight and he wouldn't pay the bill and I'd end up having to pay it.

I just have learned to be patient, pick my battles and the ones that are important enough to battle over, I fall back on all the guilt lessons I learned in Catholic school.

And at this point in time, it's more important for him to be working for other people that actually pay him than it is for me having him doing stuff here for the moment that he isn't getting paid for.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How is it I went to Catholic school and, to this day, I don't "do" guilt? Maybe it's just out of spite.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread