+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5866Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3085881;
    . . . I want to spend a summer in Milwaukee!!! (now how often do you hear THAT!?! )

We went to the Scottish festival and few weeks ago and it was SO hot and I mean, record heatwave, people keeling over hot, that I couldn't eat and there were a few things there I REALLY wanted. But I was so hot that I knew if I even tried to eat, it would NOT be pretty.
    The beauty of the festivals in Milwaukee is that, with the exception of the state fair and the Greek festival at the (I forget the name of it) Greek Orthodox Church, they're all on the lakefront -- or the east part of downtown for Bastille Days, which is close enough to the lakefront. So even when it's hot, sticky, and icky in the rest of the city, it's really pleasant at the Summerfest grounds and art museum grounds (for Lakefront Festival of the Arts).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

For MYROSIEDOG from the Current events posting:
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3085902;
    Well stuff I used to do before I met him and he took over because "I don't do it right". Like hanging a picture. Before I met him, I thought you just hammed a nail in the wall and hung the picture. I had NO idea I had been doing it wrong all these years by not using a stud finder and bubble level.

You don't need a stud finder and a bubble level.

What can pictures only be hung where there's a stud in the wall? I DON'T THINK SO.

Let me see if I have the picture of the picture wall in my apartment and you tell me if there is a stud everywhere, I also have some pretty large ones that I don't have pictures of.

But anyway HOW I LEARNED to hang pictures, paintings etc., was from a very old friend who recently passed away. Jean was an antique dealer (I am talking major estates and not a little shop.) who I worked for part time years ago.

One estate she bought, brought in among other things was a HUGE (about 31/2 feet wide by about 5 foot tall) painting of an english boy from the 1700s or so. She showed me where she wanted it hung and I began to measure the wall, the painting, using the stud finder, and a level so I could hang this umpteen thousand dollar painting.

A while later she comes into the room where I am working and is watching me with this bemused look on her face, and said Paul - What ARE you doing? I said measuring etc., so I get this hung just right.

Jean said to give her the hammer and a large nail, which I did.

She got on the ladder slammed the nail into the wall, grabbed this painting kinda slammed in onto the nail so it would hang and turned to me and said " THAT'S HOW YOU HANG THE DAMN THING"

God I miss that woman, and to this day I EYEBALL everything and am always on the mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-29-2008 at 12:02 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3087138;
    For MYROSIEDOG from the Current events posting:

You don't need a stud finder and a bubble level.

What can pictures only be hung where there's a stud in the wall? I DON'T THINK SO.

Let me see if I have the picture of the picture wall in my apartment and you tell me if there is a stud everywhere, I also have some pretty large ones that I don't have pictures of.

But anyway HOW I LEARNED to hang pictures, paintings etc., was from a very old friend who recently passed away. Jean was an antique dealer (I am talking major estates and not a little shop.) who I worked for part time years ago.

One estate she bought, brought in among other things was a HUGE (about 31/2 feet wide by about 5 foot tall) painting of an english boy from the 1700s or so. she showed me where she wanted it hung and I began to measure the wall, the painting, use the stud finder, a level so I could hang this umpteen thousand dollar painting.

A while later she comes into the room where I am working and is watching me with this bemused look on her face, and said Paul - what ARE you doing? I said measuring etc., so I get this hung just right.

Jean said to give her the hammer and a large nail, which I did.

She got on the ladder slammed the nail into the wall, grabbed this painting kinda slammed in onto the nail so it would hang and turned to me and said " THAT'S HOW YOU HANG THE DAMN THING"

God I miss that woman.
    Gabriel, that's too funny. That's how I hang pictures too. I put them where I want them, but when you are married to man who owns every tool in Home Depot and uses them in his living, I guess he has to show off sometimes. But it drives me crazy as I guess my method drives him crazy too.

Never ask a master carpenter to do anything that "seems" simple.

Hang a shelf? Takes ALL day, involves measuring tapes, levels, screw guns, stud finders and a host of other things I don't even pretend to know what they are.

My mother was the handyman in our house. I saw her do all kinds of things that worked and worked well in half the time it takes my husband to do anything because well, it must be PERFECT. God forbid something is not level or out of plumb.

And that is the ONLY part of his life that he's a perfectionist in. I just had a big hissy fit meltdown because his side of the bedroom has become such a rats nest, I can't even get to the bathroom (it's unfortunately on HIS side of the room). And he had a meltdown hissy fit when I started to THROW STUFF AWAY! (the stuff being, old envelopes that the original letter/statement/whatever is long gone). I gathered up 2 glasses, 2 empty beer bottles and 2 paper plates off his night table. (He likes to watch tv in bed while eating and drinking, which I don't mind, if he'd PICK UP AFTER HIMSELF!)

Everyone says that being married to someone who can fix stuff must be nice. Hmm, not so sure. It takes months of nagging to get stuff fixed (shoemakers children syndrome) and then when he does fix it, it takes an entire weekend to do a project that I think could be done in a couple hours.

I've actually been driving around a car part for the last 6 weeks. He bought the part to fix the car, left it in the car and therefore has probably forgotten about it. So I drive the part around. I think I'll paint a face on it and put it in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on so I can drive in the carpool lane.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hmmmm... kinda glad to be single. Actually, I usually am - too much stuff undone around the house someone would nag me about. I have occasional bouts of "woe is me - I'm inept in the housekeeping department" but then I get over it.
    Count your blessings!

I was talking about countertops with a friend and he mentionned siltstone, which is apparently as nice looking and resistant as granite, but less expensive. Does anyone have experience with it? Same with bamboo flooring versus oak wood floors.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Gut, I can definitely relate! I was married to a man who redid the insides of people homes, and did beautiful work! The problem was that he was such a perfectionist that it would take months and months to complete a job that should have taken, maybe 1 - 1/2 at the most. At the start of every job, I'd remind him that the people he was working for were not taking him to raise, and I told them to get ready to declare him on their taxes, because he was going to be there for a while. He was very narcissistic, and I'm sure his ego was heavily involved in all of this. Now, our house, I always referred to as "the halfway house", because everything was halfway done. He'd start on one room, get halfway done, and move on to another room. I feel blessed to be living alone with a gentleman caller if, and only when, I want one! Peace is so important to me!! As the song says, "I can do bad all by myself!"

I've got a single man as a next door neighbor, and he'll do anything for me that I ask him to. He even takes out my garbage cans on Thursday morning, and my recycling on Monday....and brings the containers back in if I'm not getting to it quickly enough for him! He's been divorced for about 10 years, and recently had his fiancee living with him, with plans to marry in 2009. Within the last few weeks, she has moved out!! The wedding is off. He decided that he really likes having his space to himself, without the extreme jealousy that came with her. I didn't tell him, but I'm tickled to death! I've told him that if he moves that he has to go somewhere where there's a house right next to him...and I'm moving there, too! That's as close to a husband as I want to get!! What a man!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I finally got a cell phone - the pay as you go kind, and was starting to read the instructions. So far I've learned that you should never put it in a microwave oven or let an infant chew on the battery.
    Count your blessings!

ooooooh! Very helpful advice! Some of us don't bother with the instructions, so thanks!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

If you got At&t, you are the screwed. I predominantly get week signals. Even by the window.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3087161;
    Gabriel, that's too funny. That's how I hang pictures too. I put them where I want them, but when you are married to man who owns every tool in Home Depot and uses them in his living, I guess he has to show off sometimes. But it drives me crazy as I guess my method drives him crazy too.

Never ask a master carpenter to do anything that "seems" simple.

Hang a shelf? Takes ALL day, involves measuring tapes, levels, screw guns, stud finders and a host of other things I don't even pretend to know what they are.

My mother was the handyman in our house. I saw her do all kinds of things that worked and worked well in half the time it takes my husband to do anything because well, it must be PERFECT. God forbid something is not level or out of plumb.

And that is the ONLY part of his life that he's a perfectionist in. I just had a big hissy fit meltdown because his side of the bedroom has become such a rats nest, I can't even get to the bathroom (it's unfortunately on HIS side of the room). And he had a meltdown hissy fit when I started to THROW STUFF AWAY! (the stuff being, old envelopes that the original letter/statement/whatever is long gone). I gathered up 2 glasses, 2 empty beer bottles and 2 paper plates off his night table. (He likes to watch tv in bed while eating and drinking, which I don't mind, if he'd PICK UP AFTER HIMSELF!)

Everyone says that being married to someone who can fix stuff must be nice. Hmm, not so sure. It takes months of nagging to get stuff fixed (shoemakers children syndrome) and then when he does fix it, it takes an entire weekend to do a project that I think could be done in a couple hours.

I've actually been driving around a car part for the last 6 weeks. He bought the part to fix the car, left it in the car and therefore has probably forgotten about it. So I drive the part around. I think I'll paint a face on it and put it in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on so I can drive in the carpool lane.
    MRD - I had a giant hissy fit today too. Mr. Doxie was out of town all last week and I spent a LOT of time cleaning up his little piles of paper and nasty used dishes that he'd left on his desk. I also cleaned out a TON of stuff to donate to the charity that is picking up on our street on Monday. We got a lot of new things as wedding presents and I thought it would be nice to give the older things away. Well, the packrat got home last night (after forgetting which lot he parked MY car in at the ATL airport and getting on the wrong parking shuttle) and today, he started debating some of the things that I'd chosen to donate. It was mostly sheets and towels and kitchen items because we just got a bunch of wedding presents and who needs that many towels or muffin pans? I had also cleaned out my closet and mentioned to him that he should do the same since this was a good opportunity to clear some clutter out. He has not cleaned out his closet since we moved into this house SIX years ago and I bet he hasn't worn half of that stuff since then either. He acted like I was asking him to give me a kidney. But, finally, we got it all sorted out and it's all piled up and ready to be picked up. I also made about $10.00 because he leaves little piles of change all over the place and that was the FIRST thing I cleaned up.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread