+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD, sorry I can't help you describe what squirrel tasts like, but closer to dark meat turkey than chicken to me. As for rattlesnake, I actually cooked one one time (not fried!) and to me, it tasted like crabmeat. So I made rattlesnake salad and served it with Ritz Crackers. At a 4th of July party. I told everyone what it was, but it was good and got eaten up. "If that ain't country I'll kiss your ass!" For those who might wonder what i was doing with a spare rattlesnake, I happened to come up on a great big one in the horse pasture. I felt bad killing it, but it was a danger to the horses where it was. I actually tanned the skin and made a belt (which I actually did a good job on and still have in case my waist is ever 24" again ) and you know, ""Don't kill it if you aren't going to use it"...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3083960;
    MRD, sorry I can't help you describe what squirrel tasts like, but closer to dark meat turkey than chicken to me. As for rattlesnake, I actually cooked one one time (not fried!) and to me, it tasted like crabmeat. So I made rattlesnake salad and served it with Ritz Crackers. At a 4th of July party. I told everyone what it was, but it was good and got eaten up. "If that ain't country I'll kiss your ass!" For those who might wonder what i was doing with a spare rattlesnake, I happened to come up on a great big one in the horse pasture. I felt bad killing it, but it was a danger to the horses where it was. I actually tanned the skin and made a belt (which I actually did a good job on and still have in case my waist is ever 24" again ) and you know, ""Don't kill it if you aren't going to use it"...
    Good way to live.

There used to be a rattlesnake canning plant in my hometown. My dad said that when he was in highschool, they could make a whole 25 cents (this was in the late 1930's) per snake they brought in to the plant. So he and his friends went rattlesnake hunting quite a bit. He says it's a miracle he was never bitten.

There is a restaurant in Washington D.C. (I can't remember the name or know if it's even still there, I probably ate there about 25 years ago) that serves all kinds of "different meat" from rattlesnake to hippopotamus. It was fairly upscale. You could get moose, elk, venison, quail, alligator, rattlesnake and I can't remember what all else. The hippo thing was interesting, but I think we ordered both rattlesnake and quail.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of our clients came in and brought my officemate and I some moose-I have to say I found my new favorite meat. It was a mild tasting meat-not gamey like venison can be (when eating in pine forest areas).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is just something about screaming live lobsters being placed in boiling water, and kicking frog legs that is bothersome to me. Now, the frog legs DO taste good...like a very tender chicken but there is just that mental thing for me. When I was in college, in an anatomy lab, we had to do a live frog dissection. You do this after you pith the frog...which is just wrong on many levels, too. When you pith a frog, you destroy its spinal cord, and then you open it up. Well, one frog, while being pithed, jumped off the lab table and started hopping away for its life...and doing this loud cry/scream. Some people thought it was funny...I was in tears. It totally tore at my heart. I haven't been the same since. Dissection is not for me. I could never be a surgeon.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

This "Alameda heroes breakfast to honor girls who saved friend" story caught my eye and I thought it was worth mentioning because it honors two girls appropriately enough (maybe a little TOO much in my view) while neglecting to acknowledge the person who I believed ought to have been mostly acknowledged, their striken friend that they helped.

This would be likely be a space sucking orphan thread in CE, which is why I'm placing it here.

"Alameda heroes breakfast to honor girls who saved friend"

Two Alameda girls are being hailed as heroes after their quick thinking saved the life of a playmate.

On May 1, Anca Hommert, 11, Natalie Lewis, 6, and Rachel Imlay, 10, were playing at Ritter Park when Rachel suddenly sat down and said, "My brain hurts."

She had suffered a stroke, which is rare in children but not unheard of. According to the National Stroke Association, three out of every 100,000 children will be affected.

"I looked at Natalie and she looked at me, and we both had the same thought — 'This is not normal,' " said Anca.

She told Natalie, "Run as fast as you can, don't talk to any strangers, get a grownup and come right back."

Natalie took off running while Anca stayed with Rachel, holding her hand and comforting her.

"The grownups are coming. You'll be OK," she said over and over.

Natalie dashed to a baseball diamond 200 yards away, where her brother, Tyler, was playing a Little League game.

"Mommy, my friend fell down and broke her brain!" she told her mother, Kim Lewis.

The two ran back to Anca and Rachel, and were joined a few minutes later by another parent, Tricia Parrish.

"Thank God Tricia was there," said Anca's mother, Kappi Bowen. "She's a health professional so she knew all the right questions to ask. A lot of parents wouldn't know what to do."

After talking briefly with Anca and Natalie, Parrish determined that Rachel hadn't fallen or hit her head — vital information to give the paramedics when they arrived.

By now, Rachel's eyes were starting to roll up, and she was drifting in and out of consciousness. Another parent, Dave Schute, called 911.

Other kids started crowding around to watch, but Anca and Natalie shooed them away to give Rachel more room.

A few minutes later, paramedics arrived. Thanks to the information Parrish and the girls gave them, they quickly were able to make the proper diagnosis, which doesn't always happen.

The National Stroke Association says the average child stroke patient takes four times longer to get to the hospital than an adult.

"This delay occurs mostly due to the widespread belief that strokes don't happen to children," says its website.

The paramedics rushed Rachel to Children's Hospital in Oakland, where she will remain through July. Doctors say she is making steady progress and they hope she will have a full recovery by this time next year.

And the credit goes to her two friends. According to MayoClinic.com, "Getting prompt medical treatment for stroke is of utmost importance. Quick treatment not only improves the chances of survival, but may also reduce the amount of disability resulting from the stroke."

On Thursday, Anca and Natalie will be named official City of Alameda Heroes at the annual Heroes Awards Breakfast at the Alameda Elks Lodge.

They've already had a more immediate reward: a trip to Tucker's for ice cream. Anca ordered pumpkin flavored. Natalie ordered bubble gum flavored.

Understandably, their parents are beaming with pride.

"The remarkable part is that they didn't melt down, they didn't freak out," said Bowen. "They could have sat down and started sobbing themselves."

But their parents aren't surprised by what they did.

"I've always known Anca was meant to do something special," Bowen said. "This could be it. Or it could just be a preview of things to come."

Anca attributes her composure to her Girl Scout training.

"I was thinking, 'My gosh, I have to pull myself together before I fall apart and do something wrong," she said. "Girl Scouts are all about doing the right thing. So I just followed my conscience, and it told me what to do."

Anca and Rachel are both members of Girl Scout Troop No. 2143. Two weeks ago, the entire troop visited Rachel in the hospital, a visit that lifted spirits on both sides.

Natalie hasn't been to see her friend yet, but she constantly asks her mom how Rachel is doing.

The day after the incident, Natalie was playing in her front yard when an ambulance roared down the street, siren blaring.

"She started crying," said Lewis. "I said, 'Are you OK?' And she said, 'I was just thinking about Rachel.' So I could tell it was affecting her."

At six, she's still too young to fully comprehend the importance of what she did.

"I don't think she grasps the idea that she's saved somebody's life," Lewis said. All she knows is that she did the right thing."

As for Anca, she had only one regret.

"Mommy, I told a lie," she confessed the next day. "I told Rachel she'd be OK."

"You didn't tell a lie," her mother replied. "She is going to be OK — thanks to you and Natalie."
    Alameda heroes breakfast to honor girls who saved friend - ContraCostaTimes.com

It seems to me that little Rachel Imlay ought to have gotten an attagirl nod in that story as well as the others, lacking her "My brain hurts" comment to her friends, it might have taken far longer for anyone to realize what had occurred, as the story points out in general. She saved herself as much as her friends did by what she said at a critical moment in time.

Attagirl, Rachel

I feel somewhat bad for it due to the seriousness of what occurred but couldn't help smiling a little upon reading that "Mommy, my friend fell down and broke her brain!" line from one of the girls involved.

MRD

Leftcoaster, that is an amazing story. All of those girls should be commended.

I have a rant.

I was scheduled to meet a friend today at noon. Well, I have an infection (another damn UTI) and called my dr. this morning and the nurse said she could see me if I can come in "right away". I called my friend to cancel our plans and her 18 year old daughter answers the phone, because mom is in the shower. I tell the daughter: "I have to go to the dr. and I can't meet your mom for lunch, would you please give her the message and tell her I'll call later."
    When I get home, there is a message from my friend wondering where I am. I call her and the kid gave her the message that I was "leaving then to go meet her", not that I was going to the doctor. So my friend ended up waiting for me for over an hour.
    I felt so badly, but I didn't screw up. I KNEW I shouldn't have talked to the kid, but you'd think at 18, they can get a message correct!?! Right? I mean, it isn't like I left it with a 4 year old. ARGH
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Arghh... my son is the same way! If someone leaves a message with him and he doesn't write it down, I don't hear about it until 3 days later!
    Yup, with donuts!!

My son used to do the same thing with messages. Now we tell him for every message we don't get, he'll get an equal number of undelivered messages. So far, it's working. He even writes down when stupid sales people call!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Online checking for flights

Have any of you done this before? Where you check in for your flight online (up to 1 hour before the departure time) and print out your boarding pass at home? How do you deal with checking in luggage then? (Not carryons, but actualy checked luggage) If there are any frequent flyers, I'd appreciate hearing about your exeperiences. Thanks!

LL, You can do it either at the airline's front desk, where they weigh and tag your bags, or can also check it with the guys outside by the curb, and I usually try to do it there, since they're cooler. You also don't have to lug it around as much when using the curbside check-in.

+ Reply to Thread