+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7212Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3082873;
    No, definitely not. My friend's host family keeps their guinea pigs out in their yard, just like the pigs and other animals. Some people keep them in their kitchens, but not in little cages like we do in the US, and they had a couple dozen guinea pigs, not a couple. It was a pretty popular dish at the fiesta, deep-fried, and it sort of looked like a chicken wing, except that on the end, rather than a nub or something, there were tiny little claws.

Also, easier to eat if you aren't thinking about what it is.

You know, that is exactly the reason why I can't/won't eat frog legs. Not only do I have to think about what it is....it looks like what it is. And it sits there, on the plate, "looking" at me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3082071;
    Yikes! my summer officially starts in 5 minutes when my after-school kids get here. I hope I survive!! 7 kids v. Me (but I come brandishing Mr. Freezes) my secret weapon!
    I'm coming right behind the kids!

To think that by Aug. 1st there will be back to school commercials airing already. Those used to terrorize the hell out of me a few years back.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In my neck of the woods, school starts Aug. 11. Next year, it starts Aug. 9.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

%^$#@*(&^%$#@!FESTIVAL season starts tonight. DAMN fireworks..... at10:15PM...

OMG Aug 11?? It must be so flippin hot! How can the kids concentrate? Our kids go back to school Sept 3 and it's still pretty warm then. We don't have A/C in our schools and they lock them up tight as a drum at night so it's always hot.

I'm actually looking forward to the summer. Many of my kids are close in age so planning activities is easier.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Our elementary kids' last day of school was today. Yesterday was the high school graduation. Kids around here go back to school on the Thursday after Labor Day, so I think that is going to be Sept. 4th or so.

I hate when the back-to-school ads come out at the end of July, beginning of August. We never got the school supply lists until the week before school started, and by then, all the sale stuff was long gone. (And some lists were very specific, meaning different sized binders and/or notebooks for certain subjects, specific colored folders, etc.)

I do feel sorry for the kids in other parts of the country who do go back to school in the beginning and middle of August; it must be soooo hot. The good thing is those kids get out of school at the end of May/beginning of June.

My kids used to go back to school in early August but they passed a law here that said that schools can't start until the third week of August. A/C isn't a big concern because here in south TX the A/C is cranking 90% of the year. I've been spoiled as far as school supplies go. We bought the items on the supply list the first year my daughter was in kindergarten, but since then we've bought the pre-bundled packs the PTO offers. It's easier and actually cheaper. My daughter starts middle school this upcoming school year so there are no PTO packs for her. I dread it. Plus the realization that she's going to have a locker and switch classes makes me sad.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3082640;
    Fried coke? The beverage, not the powder? How do you fry a liquid?
    (Geez -- maybe it is true that southerners can find a way to fry anything . . . )
    That was the exact point I was making in my speech!

The liquid syrup (not mixed with the carbonated water) is mixed with flour, etc. to make a dough and that is fried. More syrup is poured on top and it's served with whipped cream, powdered sugar, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3083141;
    You know, that is exactly the reason why I can't/won't eat frog legs. Not only do I have to think about what it is....it looks like what it is. And it sits there, on the plate, "looking" at me.
    Oh me either. I can't stand when they have them in the store even and I have to see then looking all leg like in the case.
    I HATE frogs anyway. Frogs to me are what spiders and snakes and stuff are to other people. Frogs are my kryptonite, so the mere thought of even trying them is awful.
    That and the fact that my mom loved them and would make them and they legs actually do jump in the frying pan. UGH! shudder, shudder, shudder. Oh gag, I'm making myself sick and it's not even breakfast yet.

Schools in SC and Florida have air conditioning. But most dont' start until mid august, but they tend to get out around memorial day in May too.
    I went to school in Florida and my school was not airconditioned until I was a junior in highschool. August, Sept., April, doesn't matter, it's still hot as hades in those classrooms. And the thinking back then was: "they're kids, they can take it". Now the thinking seems to be reversed.
    And that's the Florida version of "I walked 3 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow!"
    Last edited by MRD; 06-27-2008 at 08:32 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

School starts mid-August here, and runs thru the first week of June. However, the kids get 3 weeks off at Christmas (er, Winter break ) and Easter (aka Spring break) is more like a week and a half. We do have air-conditioned classrooms, however, they are not controlled by the individual teachers/rooms. So, depending on where your classroom sits, and the number of kids crammed into the class, it can still be quite warm according to my kid. He will come home and complain that it is so hard to concentrate when you are that hot - I feel bad for him, so he smuggles (bad mom ) bottles of icy water into his desk each day.

+ Reply to Thread