+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6764Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

hmmm on the utikilt.

Love Amazing Grace on the bagpipes but it does make me start sobbing almost on cue. Have heard it played at too many gravesides.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I'll take bagpipes over the accordian anyday. I've heard cats fighting that made prettier music then the accordian.

I used to have a resident whos son would come in occasionaly and play the bagpipes for the residents. During one pause he said, "What would you like to hear next." Without missing a beat one resident yelled out, "A little peace and quiet." LOL!

I've always loved the pipe organ. Certain songs played on this organ gives me chills.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Bagpipes usually bring memories of sadness to me as they are used to lead in funeral processions. Although I have heard them used at weddings too! Men in skirts with knee socks are kinda fun to watch. And I'm always wondering just what is in that heavy purse they wear in front?

If they play a happy tune, then it's joyful. If it's a sad tune, hand me the kleenex.

Have you ever seen The BlackWatch perform? Man oh man, brings chills.

I have seen a lot more happy occassions with pipers than sad.

[QUOTE=Muduh;2043019]Well, I grew up in a Presbyterian church, and we never had bagpipes, thank God. We would have laughed them right out of there.

[QUOTE]

Muduh, was your church PCA, AR or Northern or Southern Presbyterian? (now both North. and South are back together as Pres. USA which is what I am.) From what I know about the others, they are more fundamental and less traditional than Pres. USA which does use pipers in some areas.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-28-2006 at 09:29 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I've always loved the pipe organ. Certain songs played on this organ gives me chills.
    I luvvvvv pipe organs!! You don't hear them much anymore. Having been raised Catholic, that's what (back in the day) was always played.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I have a 'Survival' Utilikilt. It's great for hiking in hot weather.http://www.utilikilts.com/
    Hey, those are tres cool! Good for hiking, but don't try to climb any trees, eh? What do you wear underneath your kilt?!

myrosiedog: I've never heard of The BlackWatch. Eerie name.

can'tgetnuf: Hey, don't knock the accordian...it's what polkas as made of!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    My husband's got a utility kilt (and the legs to wear them)! We like to go to the annual Highland Games here in the Chicago area...He like to eat haggis on occasion. I'll eat a lot of "strange" things but haggis just tastes too organ-y for me.

The bagpipe is like a lot of instruments. Played well, it's gorgeous. But in the wrong hands it'll make you run for ear plugs. (But think about the violin--it can be simply breathtaking...but if you have someone like me play it, you'll wish it hadn't been invented!)

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;2043925]Have you ever seen The BlackWatch perform? Man oh man, brings chills.

I have seen a lot more happy occassions with pipers than sad.

[QUOTE=Muduh;2043019]Well, I grew up in a Presbyterian church, and we never had bagpipes, thank God. We would have laughed them right out of there.

Muduh, was your church PCA, AR or Northern or Southern Presbyterian? (now both North. and South are back together as Pres. USA which is what I am.) From what I know about the others, they are more fundamental and less traditional than Pres. USA which does use pipers in some areas.
    I think this might have more to do with the avaliability of bagpipe players! I never heard of it when I was really little, living in a town of only a couple of thousand people. When I was a teenager, we moved to a bigger town, and our congregation looked for pipers for special occasions, but couldn't find any! So, I never heard bagpipes in church until I was about 25 and living in a much more populated area! When I finally did, I was surprised but loved it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I luvvvvv pipe organs!! You don't hear them much anymore. Having been raised Catholic, that's what (back in the day) was always played.
    I was raised Episcopalian, prhoshay, so that's what was in our church, too. That pipe organ just made that church *ring*.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I'm glad that some of you mentioned the pipe organ. Several years ago our old auditorium was torn down and a new one built. Somehow, some airhead decided that the new auditorium couldn't accommodate the rare pipe organ that had resided in the previous building, and it was put in storage. I think I remember reading that it was one of two in the US. I'm going to email the"watchdog" reporter on one of the tv stations and see if he can locat that organ, or if it has been donated to someone without our knowledge, or okay.

+ Reply to Thread