+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Congrats MRD... you sound like a natural. You should start a portfolio for future job applications. I can't believe your museum isn't trying to make you a paid staff somehow. You really are doing them a huge service. So are the groups asking you to present for them offering to pay?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3081112;
    Congrats MRD... you sound like a natural. You should start a portfolio for future job applications. I can't believe your museum isn't trying to make you a paid staff somehow. You really are doing them a huge service. So are the groups asking you to present for them offering to pay?
    WEll the musuem is paying me now on a contract basis for certain things and I still volunteer for others and they are really wanting me to be on staff full time. The business plan calls for another paid staff member in the education department. But as they just recently laid off gift shop personnel, then I don't see how I'm going to get on there anytime soon. But the education program makes the most money for the museum and already we are almost booked solid for Sept. and Oct. for school groups. So they may be able to add someone (me!) by then.

I have started a resume and printed my own business cards until I can really afford to have professional ones made.
    The 2 groups that asked me to speak offer an "honorarium", but I don't know how much that is. I may have to give a few more "free" speeches in order to get my portfolio built up so I can start charging.

A couple questions I got yesterday: "What does fried squirrel taste like" and "how do you make fried coca-cola".

So thanks again everyone. It was a real exciting day for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Have you posted any of these recipes in the recipe thread?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3081186;
    Have you posted any of these recipes in the recipe thread?
    Not for squirrel or fried coca-cola, but I did post my cornbread salad recipe in there yesterday. I handed out 4 recipes. One of my own and one from my mom, my grandmother and my friend Carl. I can post all of those if anyone is interested.

Fried coke is a "fair" food, along with funnel cakes, corn dogs, etc., I think it would be hard to duplicate at home as you need the coca-cola syrup without the carbonated water. And while Waldo tries his best to catch a squirrel, he hasn't yet so I can't make squirrel stew.

and what does fried coca-cola taste like?

Great job, MRD! We can always say that we knew you when!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita2;3081200;
    and what does fried coca-cola taste like?

Great job, MRD! We can always say that we knew you when!

Thanks. I'll never forget my friends, no matter what happens! (because I may end up writing about you)

So, if I ever get a book published and have to travel for a book signing tour, do you think I could make sure they schedule it in all the places I have FORT friends, so we could finally meet?

I don't like it that much. It's teethachingly sweet. It does have a coke taste, but as I now drink diet coke, I think it tastes "funny". And it's fried dough. But wait, so are donuts. No, it's one of those " I can say I tried it once" type of foods.

It is coke syrup mixed with flour, sugar,etc. to form a dough. Then those are rolled into balls and deep fried. It's put in a cup and more coke syrup is drizzled over it, some powdered sugar and whipped cream.

MRD, sounds like your talk was a smashing success! That's great, especially since it looks like you'll have some opportunities to speak in the future.

Have you tried squirrel stew? What does squirrel taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3081198;

Fried coke is a "fair" food, along with funnel cakes, corn dogs, etc.,
    You're kidding, right? And I thought the British were bad inventing fried Mars candy bars and things like that.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3081228;
    You're kidding, right? And I thought the British were bad inventing fried Mars candy bars and things like that.
    Not kidding. It made it's debut at the Texas state fair.

Which proves my point that you CAN fry anything!

Squirrel is pretty good. It's not a real strong flavor, but it's not a lite flavor.
    It has a somewhat gamey taste, but I've eaten other things that were more gamey.
    It's hard to describe, you kind of have to eat it.
    But it's not bad. MUCH better than possum.

Queenb, can you help me out? You've had squirrel before right? (it's been YEARS since I had it)

Ok, that makes sense. I recently tried guinea pig, and was wondering if they had similar tastes, or if this was another "tastes like chicken" situation. It must take a lot of squirrels to get stew meat!

+ Reply to Thread