+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5779Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have a question.

We are on the do not call list for solicitors, but I am suddenly getting inundated with phone calls for polls. Nielson TV ratings, Gallup and other polls. Are they the same as solicitors? Can I tell them I'm on the do not call list? How do I get rid of the pollsters?

I really don't want to spend "just a few minutes of my time answering a series of questions"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, go online to the registry and re-register your numbers. I've heard that the Do Not Call list only lasts for a year or two then you have to do it again.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3072986;
    I have a question.

We are on the do not call list for solicitors, but I am suddenly getting inundated with phone calls for polls. Nielson TV ratings, Gallup and other polls. Are they the same as solicitors? Can I tell them I'm on the do not call list? How do I get rid of the pollsters?

I really don't want to spend "just a few minutes of my time answering a series of questions"
    Just say, "No!" and hang up? Or "No, thank you!" if you feel funny about being blunt?

www.donotcall.gov

The list is "good" for 5 years; you can also verify your registration on this site. Here's part of an email I got:

"Your phone number with the last four digits **** was registered in the National Do Not Call Registry on 8/17/2003. Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date. Your registration will (or did) expire on 8/18/2008."
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-23-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3073069;
    MRD, go online to the registry and re-register your numbers. I've heard that the Do Not Call list only lasts for a year or two then you have to do it again.
    I haven't been on the list even a year yet so we still should be good. The telemarketers have finally stopped calling. Now it's just the pollsters. I was just wondering if polls were considered the same as telemarketers or different.

and Shay, I have said, we aren't interested, please don't call back, but yet the very next week they do. Gallup and Nielson have been the biggest pains in the rear, but we also had someone want to take a poll from any single adults in the house about their dating patterns. That one was easy so they haven't called back when I said that there were no single adults. Oh and Kiplinger has also called a few times.

My husband says that I should take the poll as usually no one really WANTS to hear my opinion but them. He thinks he's hysterical. NOT!

Usually, I don't even answer the phone when caller ID shows that it is from an unfamiliar number coming in around the time when solicitors/pollsters/etc. tend to call. If it's really a call for me, they'll leave a message and I can either pick up in the middle of them leaving the message, or I'll call them right back. They eventually stop calling if you don't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3072812;
    There is a product you can buy OTC that helps with fever blisters. The ear wax thing just sounds kinda gross.
    Yes, I've heard about the OTC products, and I've also heard that they are not that great.

One of the kids at the community center had asked me about the ear wax thing, and I had never heard of it. A lot of these kids are being raised by a grandmother and I'm sure that's where this question has come from. They like to bring in questions that they know will freak me out!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-23-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Newbie

Hi, all!
    Pollsters are exempt from the Do Not Call list.

My solution (I don't have caller ID):
    I agree to take the survey and then I answer with the following (no matter what the question)

Question 1: Se*
    Question 2: Purple
    Question 3: Purple Se*
    Repeat as necessary...

You'll be surprised at how many hang up!

I love messing with people I didn't give my phone number to like telemarketers or pollsters! It cracks me up to pretend to speak another language, etc!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

The problem is that I don't answer, so they do keep calling, so I finally started answering to say I wasn't interested, but that's not stopping them either. I hate hearing the phone ring. I'd take it off the hook, but I do need it occasionally and other people that live here do get "real" phone calls.

We have caller ID, so I usually know who's calling. But those darn pollsters. I think I will take the above advice and mess with them. Although, most times I hate messing with them.

See, I feel that MY phone is there for MY convenience. If I want to talk on the phone, I will make the call. And if my friends call and I don't feel like talking, then I don't answer it. I have really gotten to be a grouch about the phone lately. It is such a necessary evil.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3073390;
    I love messing with people I didn't give my phone number to like telemarketers or pollsters! It cracks me up to pretend to speak another language, etc!
    I've never pretended to speak another language, but that might be fun! I do remember, when "Joe Moneygrubber's Charity' calls looking for a donation, telling them how I had just gotten laid off my job and I have 4 kids to feed, and I'm in the process of getting a divorce....by the time I got through with them, they were wanting to send ME money!! And I do it in a really sad sounding voice!

When they get your name off the voter registration rolls, I tell them that nobody by that name lives here, and that really works, too. They make little notes on their records!

People that I don't know usually have an easier time with me than those I do, at least initially. I don't know how many times my business partner/ex-wife has been privy to the ends of conversations--I'll pick up the phone, but then act as if Gustav and I are talking about something . . .

"NO, GUSTAV!! NOT MAYONAISE!!"
    "I'll get your head unstuck in a minute, I'm on the phone right now!"
    ". . . and that's why revenge sex is the best sex of all!"

Stuff like that. Or I'll make up some odd-ball business name:
    *Turtle Towers Upper Observation Outpost #3

I usually won't answer if I don't recognize the caller ID, so they get the machine:
    "You have reached (real name) at (real phone number). I have no idea why anyone would want to talk to me, so leave a message and enlighten me."
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread