+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7177Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

But you do use lemon or vinegar on them, right?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3055786;
    With the canned veggies, especially tomatos they can them ASAP when they are coming out of the fields, at the peak of freshness Your fresh tomatos are picked green and ripened using all sorts of strange mysterious processes. I'm starting to sound like Cliff Clavin. Not 100% sure I'm being accurate but it sounds good..
    That's why I eat frozen veggies in the winter as opposed to imported "fresh". Once fruit & veg are picked, they start losing their nutritional value, so unless you're getting them within a couple of days of picking (mmm, mmm, local farm-fresh goodness), you're better off eating frozen or canned.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I said 'washed' meat, but I meant 'rinsed' off the meat under running water. I've got this thing where I don't know what happened to the meat when it was being cut and packaged...did anything hit the floor and get picked up and placed in the package? Of course we always hope not, but how do we know? Things are not, necessarily, always as they appear. I've got this need to rinse off what little meat I eat, for my own peace of mind. And I am constantly washing my hands in the kitchen, anyway. I hate food stuff on my hands. I've got a window sill full of lotions!

I fully understand my limitations/quirks in the kitchen, and I am not in denial about who I am!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I cannot stand to touch any kind of raw meat - we keep a box of latex gloves on hand for me. It's not cause of germs or anything - I just cannot stand to touch it - I also have trouble with certain cooked meats. I cannot cut up a turkey breast unless I am wearing the gloves. and I usually go through several pairs cause I throw them away anytime I have to do something else. Phobia, probably.

I probably need gloves in my kitchen...for as much as I don't cook.....
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3055786;
    Your fresh tomatos are picked green and ripened using all sorts of strange mysterious processes. I'm starting to sound like Cliff Clavin. Not 100% sure I'm being accurate but it sounds good..
    You are correct Cliff livin.

Commercially-Grown and Hydroponic Tomatoes

Commercially-Grown Tomatoes
    If you are wondering why tomatoes these days don't seem to taste as good as they did thirty or forty years ago, it's no wonder. Commercial breeding for looks and long transport timetables is to blame. No store-bought tomato can compare to one that is grown at home. Commercial tomatoes are picked when still firm and green to minimize shipping damage, usually a good two weeks before optimum ripe stage. They are then held in cold storage up to a month before they reach the shelves of your market. Ethylene gas chambers are used to artificially induce color and ripeness. Luckily, tomatoes are so easy to grow that many of us grow them at home, either in gardens or containers.

Good Grief........how long is it going to be before I can, safely, have a BLT...the most wonderful sandwich in the world??

Thank you Unk.

Here in Kansas we usually start getting home grown tomatos in July.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I've been having a blast (from the past) this evening. The museum is doing a series of lectures on 1968 and the last one is in 3 weeks and it will be about the music and culture of 1968 and there will be a 60's sing a long as part of it. They are encouraging everyone to wear tye-dye and bell bottoms.
    They needed music to play during the reception afterwards and I was talking about my music collection, so I got the fun task of putting together about 20 of the top hits of 1968 on a mix CD to be played. I had a hard time narrowing it down to 20, but I've spent most of the evening listening to some great music and picking out songs to go on the CD.

I love doing stuff like this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Well...are you going to tell us what songs you picked?

And why do I think you have the clothes in your closet already that are perfect for this shindig?! You go, girl! Sounds like a ton of fun!

+ Reply to Thread