+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6539Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3055208;
    In an ice storm, isn't it cold enough to just put the meat in something outside? Protected from animals, but being kept cold?
    The power went out because of an ice storm in January that was part of a warm front going through. After all of the damage was done, tree limbs and power lines down, it warmed up to the mid-30s and rained for several days. So not only did they lose the contents of their freezer, but their basement flooded.

We were fortunate to have a friend with a generator and kept that running our sump pump and fridge.

The neighbors went to a hotel so add in 3 nights in a hotel. The four of us all stuck it out Thursday night, then after school on Friday the kids were packed off to Grandma's house. mr. veejer and I piled on every blanket in the house and stayed there Friday night, but it was too cold (upper 40s inside) to stay on Saturday night so we went to Grandma's too.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm also one of those that thaw meat on the counter..I also hardly ever wash off my vegetables ...it'll catch up with me one day, I'm sure!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

We do all wash off our meat, don't we??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Unless I have a load of laundry already in the washer.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3055489;
    We do all wash off our meat, don't we??
    I clean chicken and turkey in cold running water, but not beef or pork. Should I? Why?

I decided to do a little research before finishing this post and this is what I found at the USDA's website on safe food handling. Hurray!!!! I can give up washing chicken which I detest!!!!

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?

Historically, we equate washing to cleanliness. We wash clothes, linens, cars, dishes, and ourselves. So, it is logical that many people believe meat and poultry can be made cleaner and safer by washing it. Is this true? Does washing meat, poultry, eggs, fruits, and vegetables make them safer to eat?

Cross-Contamination
    Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

Hand washing after handling raw meat or poultry or its packaging is a necessity because anything you touch afterwards could become contaminated. In other words, you could become ill by picking up a piece of fruit and eating it after handling raw meat or poultry. Practice good hand washing before and after handling raw foods as well as when using the bathroom, changing diapers, tending to a sick person, blowing your nose, sneezing and coughing, and after petting animals.

It is important to prevent cross-contamination from raw meat or poultry juices by washing counter tops and sinks with hot, soapy water. If desired, you may sanitize with a solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water.

Packaging materials from raw meat or poultry also can cause cross-contamination. Never reuse them with other food items. These and other disposable packaging materials, such as foam meat trays, egg cartons, or plastic wraps, should be discarded.

Washing or Soaking Meat and Poultry

Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Some consumers think they are removing bacteria from the meat and making it safe. For safety, use a food thermometer to be sure the food has reached a safe minimum internal temperature. Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops can be cooked to 145 F. All cuts of pork should reach 160 F. All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F.

Callers to the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline sometimes ask about soaking poultry in salt water. This is a personal preference and serves no purpose for food safety. If you choose to do this, however, preventing cross-contamination when soaking and removing the poultry from the water is essential.

Sometimes consumers wash or soak country ham, bacon, or salt pork because they think it reduces the sodium or salt enough to allow these products to be eaten on a sodium-restricted diet. However, very little salt is removed by washing, rinsing, or soaking a meat product and is not recommended.

Washing Eggs

Do not wash eggs before storing or using them. Washing is a routine part of commercial egg processing and the eggs do not need to be washed again. Federal regulations outline procedures and cleansers that may be used. "Bloom", the natural coating on just-laid eggs that helps prevent bacteria from permeating the shell, is removed by the washing process and is replaced by a light coating of edible mineral oil which restores protection. Extra handling of the eggs, such as washing, could increase the risk of cross-contamination, especially if the shell becomes cracked.

Washing Produce

Before eating or preparing, wash fresh produce under cold running tap water to remove any lingering dirt. This reduces bacteria that may be present. If there is a firm surface, such as on apples or potatoes, the surface can be scrubbed with a brush. Consumers should not wash fruits and vegetables with detergent or soap. These products are not approved or labeled by the Food and Drug Administration for use on foods. You could ingest residues from soap or detergent absorbed on the produce.

When preparing fruits and vegetables, cut away any damaged or bruised areas because bacteria that cause illness can thrive in those places. Immediately refrigerate any fresh-cut items such as salad or fruit for best quality and food safety.

Last Modified: August 18, 2006
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I must admit I have never gotten the idea to wash any kind of meat under running water. If we're have steaks we cook them the same day we buy them and there's now need for thawing. For food that has been frozen and thawed I just make sure it's cooked all the way through, especially chicken. So far so good

I got the idea of washing poultry from my mother. However, she grew up on a farm in the 20s-30s where they raised chickens and may have needed to clean them after they were singed and plucked.

eta: By the way, I was very careful to follow Unk's recommendations on keeping cold food cold and hot food hot when we had our daughter's graduation open house a year ago. As far as I know, no one got sick.
    Last edited by veejer; 06-13-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3054809;
    I've never heard this one before. Why does the top and bottom have to be cut off before you slice it?
    Well, they say that the hard part on top of tomatoes is more likely to carry bacteria. But I just don't like to eat it.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

With the canned veggies, especially tomatos they can them ASAP when they are coming out of the fields, at the peak of freshness Your fresh tomatos are picked green and ripened using all sorts of strange mysterious processes. I'm starting to sound like Cliff Clavin. Not 100% sure I'm being accurate but it sounds good..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I've never washed meat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread