+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5781Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3054700;
    tomatoes have to be sliced with the tops and bottoms already cut off.
    I've never heard this one before. Why does the top and bottom have to be cut off before you slice it?

Good tips Uncle Scott. I am guilty of thawing food on the counter, "like my mom did".
    I guess the only thing I worry about as far as being a food borne illness is undercooked hamburger meat. Doesn't make much sense since I order my steaks, 'still putting up a fight'. But the thought of eating under cooked hamburger meat makes me sick.

When I was about 5, my father took me to visit a friend of my grandfather's farm. We saw a lot of cows and one of them licked me from head to toe (eww). Years later, I was recalling that experience with my parents and my Dad said "You got that cow back. You ate it for a year!"... Turns out that he and my grandfather had purchased the cow, had it butchered and split the meat. I think that's a great way to save some money if you eat a lot of beef.

I can't stand thawing stuff in the microwave. I hate the smell and the texture of it when it comes out. I rarely use the microwave for anything other than popcorn! I usually let things thaw in the fridge.

MRD - congrats on your new mixer! I know you will enjoy that. We have a new food processor - I've never had one before - and I am enjoying that and haven't cut off any of my fingers yet!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3054809;
    Doesn't make much sense since I order my steaks, 'still putting up a fight'. But the thought of eating under cooked hamburger meat makes me sick.
    The reason ground beef needs to be cooked more done than steaks is because of the possibility of the bacterias that can get mixed in with the beef during the grinding process. The toxins live in the guts of ruminant animals, including cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and elk. The major source for human illnesses is cattle. Steaks are cut from the sides of beef and the possibility of mixing in the toxins is not there.
    Disease Listing: Escherichia coli General Information | CDC DFBMD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3054499;
    And another helpful little hint with respect to something that did give me food poisoning. I had cooked some chicken breast, took a portion for my meal and put the rest in the fridge immediately (while still steaming) in a covered container. I think the condensation caused by the steam developed bacteria, because the original meal didn't cause any trouble, but the meal I had the following day using the leftover chicken made me violently ill. I now put the chicken in fridge immediately, but uncovered. I seal the container once it's cooled down.

In regards to the portion you put directly in the fridge it may have been the mass of it that kept it from cooling down quickly. Dividing items up into smaller portions will help it cool faster.

I've worked food service for 20 years. That being said I should know better but I've always thawed my meat items on the counter. BUT as soon as the meat is mostly thawed I'll refrig it.

Only time I ever got food posioning was when I undercooked some pork chops. Haven't made that mistake since and have been eating pork leather ever since.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I also have defrosted meat on the counter quite often (sheepishly raising hand) - and haven't had a problem (just lucky?)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I got food poisoning from a beef and cheddar sandwich from Arby's once. Stupid me grabbed the sandwich from a bag that was sitting in the kitchen (not a clue as to how long it had been there, and no one was at home), nuked it and, about 1 hour later, was begging the Lord to take me home!!! Talk about live and learn; I will never do that again. Between the extreme belly pain, and everything demanding to, violently, make it's way out of my body for several hours....I learned a huge lesson.

I am not a good sick person.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3054010;

Question: Is it just my imagination, or does it seem that the word 'weird' is being used to the nth degree lately? Seems to me like it's the new "in" word.
    Have't noticed it, but that is weird. (sorry couldn't resist.)

We have a stand alone freezer, so I appreciate all your tips and suggestions guys. I think we might do it. I'm trying to really save on our food bill and while this is a big outlay up front, it will save in the long run.

As for thawing, I thought meat in the sink with water and without. I try to remember to take something out and put it in the fridge, but it doesn't always work.
    I hate microwave thawing as it stinks and the meat always at least partially cooks.
    But anyway, I've been doing the sink thawing for over 25 years on my own and my mom did it before me and we've never had a problem. But especially with chicken, we do cook it throughly.

I've been browing 5 lbs of hamburger at a time and freezing it in smaller bags, then microwaving it for spagetti, tacos, chili, sloppy joes, etc. I like doing that better as it thaws really fast in the microwave and it doesn't "cook" it like it does when trying to thaw raw beef. Plus, I can have a meal on the able in about 10-12 min. with the pre-cooked frozen hamburger.

I can't believe that as a kid, I used to eat raw hamburger. Used to drive my mother nuts. haven't eaten it in years, but I used to love it. I got the habit from my dad.

I always let hot food cool some before refrigerating because I heard that putting hot food in the fridge not only makes the fridge not work efficiently, but that it can cause illness later.
    Like Livin, if I make soup, I put it in smaller containers so it will cool quicker.

I only eat cooked tomatos. I don't like them raw in sandwiches or salads. I will occasionally eat them with salt and pepper, olive oil and basil on them, but I really prefer them cooked mostly.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-13-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3055071;

I only eat cooked tomatos. I don't like them raw in sandwiches or salads. I will occasionally eat them with salt and pepper, olive oil and basil on them, but I really prefer them cooked mostly.
    I have a theory on this. I like raw tomatoes, but I only like really, really good tomatoes-- the kind you buy from a local farmstand, or something. Too often, the ones I buy at the store are whitish, or lacking in flavor. Cooked, however, they seem to have a lot more flavor. Might have something to do with it? A lot of the time, I feel similarly, and I know it's because bad tomatoes are really bad.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 06-13-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3055071;
    We have a stand alone freezer, so I appreciate all your tips and suggestions guys. I think we might do it. I'm trying to really save on our food bill and while this is a big outlay up front, it will save in the long run.
    mrd, make sure that you have a plan in place in case you lose power for a long time.

Our neighbors had purchased a lot of meat and had it in a stand alone freezer. We lost power in an ice storm and it was out for 3.5 days and they lost it all. They didn't have a generator and kept calling Toledo Edison to find out how long it would be out. They kept getting the standard, "We know you're out and we'll get to you as soon as possible". They were optimistic (read naive) and didn't offload anything to friends or relatives. Then she complained about it for years, "if Edison had just told us it would be days, then we would have done something about it".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3055175;
    mrd, make sure that you have a plan in place in case you lose power for a long time.

Our neighbors had purchased a lot of meat and had it in a stand alone freezer. We lost power in an ice storm and it was out for 3.5 days and they lost it all. They didn't have a generator and kept calling Toledo Edison to find out how long it would be out. They kept getting the standard, "We know you're out and we'll get to you as soon as possible". They were optimistic (read naive) and didn't offload anything to friends or relatives. Then she complained about it for years, "if Edison had just told us it would be days, then we would have done something about it".

In an ice storm, isn't it cold enough to just put the meat in something outside? Protected from animals, but being kept cold?

We have a freezer alarm on the stand alone that goes off when the temp reaches a certain point and if something should happen, we have the freezer that goes with the fridge, coolers and friends that would help.

But thanks for the tips. That's always been one of my fears is that the freezer would go out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread