+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

You and me, both! At the very least, I'd be going to the store to buy some more chicken, with the other remaining in the freezer.

Question: Is it just my imagination, or does it seem that the word 'weird' is being used to the nth degree lately? Seems to me like it's the new "in" word.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I see it's time for one of my foodborne illness lectures.

Bacteria, or other germs, need time, food and moisture (or wetness) to grow; but they won't grow when the temperature of the food is colder than 41º F or hotter than 140º F. The temperatures in between 41º and 140º are in the "Danger Zone." Keep potentially hazardous foods out of the "Danger Zone!" For example, when food is left in the "Danger Zone", bacteria can grow fast, and make poisons that can make your customers and family very sick. Food may not be safe if held in this zone for more than two hours. Bacteria multiply rapidly in this temperature range.

When is the food cooked safe?

Here are a few examples of potentially hazardous food and how hot they must be to be safe. They can be hotter, but they must be at least this hot to kill germs:

* Poultry and Stuffing: 165º F
    * Pork: 145º F
    * Beef, Lamb and Seafood: 145º F
    * Rare Beef: 130º F
    * Hamburger (ground beef): 155º F

Thawing frozen food

There are only three safe ways to thaw foods, and you must plan ahead to allow enough time to do it right:
    1. Thaw food in the refrigerator; it may take a few hours or a few days. This is the best and safest way. Be sure to put meat in a container to catch the meat juices and to keep them from dripping on the food below.
    2. Hold the food under cool, running water, never under warm or hot water.
    3. In a microwave oven; you must then cook it or serve it right away.

Never thaw food at room temperature, on a counter or in warm water. These methods let harmful bacteria grow to high numbers (the "Danger Zone").ever thaw food at room temperature, on a counter or in warm water. These methods let harmful bacteria grow to high numbers (the "Danger Zone").

Some special rules for cold salads and sandwich spreads

You have learned about potentially hazardous food, and how the bacteria grow very easily in them. These foods must not be left at room temperature for even a short time. Foods like potato salad; pasta or macaroni salad egg salad and chicken salad has to be cold enough to keep germs from growing. When you make these foods, start with cold ingredients.

* Wash your hands before handling the salad ingredients.
    * Make cold salads with cold cooked foods such as potatoes, pasta, chicken and eggs; all ingredients should be chilled to 41° F.

Just think how many times you've eaten something, got a little upset stomach or diarrhea and thought "Something didn't agree with me." You've probably had a mild case of food poisoning.
    Sources:
    Bacteria and Foodborne Illness
    Food temperatures and the Danger Zone
    Food Safety: Time and Temperature Make a Difference

blah, blah, blah - blah blah blah blah

j/k. I appreciate the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3054043;
    blah, blah, blah - blah blah blah blah

j/k. I appreciate the lesson.
    I can't help it. I've been in the restaurant business over 40 years now and I post this every now and then.

I had severe food poisoning once. I was at a client on a business trip and we ate at a very nice restaurant. the next day I couldn't even get out of bed for most of the day and had to take late checkout I have never just laid there and moaned and whimpered for so long. It was awful - did manage to fly home that night, but it was pretty bad.

Thanks Unk. I was the "turkey coordinator" (and I never even got a badge) one year when a bunch of us ex-pats and Peruvians had a Thanksgiving dinner together. It almost gave me a nervous break-down trying to make sure people didn't kill anyone by improperly stuffing or cooking the 12 turkeys we did.

Unk, I think of you everytime I want to thaw something out on the counter, like my mom always did. Then I shake my head and just shove it in the microwave. The lesson sank in mister!

And another helpful little hint with respect to something that did give me food poisoning. I had cooked some chicken breast, took a portion for my meal and put the rest in the fridge immediately (while still steaming) in a covered container. I think the condensation caused by the steam developed bacteria, because the original meal didn't cause any trouble, but the meal I had the following day using the leftover chicken made me violently ill. I now put the chicken in fridge immediately, but uncovered. I seal the container once it's cooled down.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I got food poisoning twice so bad that I was hospitalized. Both times, it was from prepackaged caesar salad mixes -- the kind that is already theoretically washed. Nowadays, I wash all my fruits and veggies--even the prewashed ones. Not fun lying in a hospital bed getting an IV drip. I was that dehydrated and sick. Not fun.

THANK YOU! My husband thinks I'm crazy because I insist that we wash all the salad and remove the first few layers of lettuce from a regular head. I even make him remove the first layer of the green onions. I don't think it's that wasteful and I've never been sick from a salad at home (yet). I put a salad spinner on my wish list because sometimes the lettuce is a little over-hydrated from the washings.

I don't think I'm a big germaphobe. I don't have the baby cover things for shopping carts or restaurant high chairs and I don't freak out if my kids eat bugs. I don't have any hand sanitizer in my house, either. But veggies from the supermarket just have to be washed and tomatoes have to be sliced with the tops and bottoms already cut off. Heck, I have an herb garden in my window sill and I know that no bugs or pesticides get on to those babies and I still rinse them with water just in case.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread