+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6247Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Duxxy! I'm glad your car was found.

mrd, my parents always bought half a beef at a time from a butcher when I was growing up. It required having a separate stand alone freezer to store it but they saved a ton of money that way.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3052875;
    for mrd getting the KA...I've always wanted the lime green one and I don't even cook that much! I just like the color!

I feel the same way about the pink one. I don't have the space at this point (kitchens in New York apartments aren't generally known for their size), and partly for that reason, I don't use my (pink Kitchen Aid) handheld mixer as much as I otherwise might, but when I get a stand mixer, I hope they still make the pink one.

My mom is more practical. Hers is white. Goes with everything.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

When you freeze large chunks of meat, how long does it stay good? I mean in terms of it not getting freezer burn and tasting odd? Do you just store it away in Ziploc freezer bags or what?

Also, how do you all thaw out your frozen meat? I tend to buy lots of chicken, divide them up and freeze the majority of it. But I don't plan ahead enough so instead of thawing it out in the fridge for a day, I'm sitting there trying to thaw it out in the microwave (blah! Hate that smell!) or under cold running water, which takes forever, to use in the next hour.

Duxxy - Congrats on finding your car! And possibly, maybe getting it back? What a pain in the

MRD - Our best friend's own a dairy, and they routinely get their beef like that. And when they slaughter one, they are most generous with the beef. It is always a great idea to do it that way if you can -- the savings are tremendous! Not to mention, you have so much more at your fingertips when planning a meal, the convenience factor is great. I say go for it!! And you don't have to worry about freezer burn - the packaging business is usually really good at using high-quality freezer paper, etc. We have never had a problem with freezer burn.

MRD, my parents did the buy half-a-cow a few times when we were young (There are 7 kids in my family). It was a lot less expensive than what they would have spent in the supermarket. They also had a stand alone freezer, so they could store it all very easily. Once the kids started heading out to college, and the numbers at home decreased, they stopped. And by the time the old freezer went kaput, they did not get another one!

Lois, I try to plan ahead and thaw meat in the fridge.....but have been known to thaw it in the sink under cold water (changed frequently). As a last resort, I will thaw in the micro. I don't like the smell, and sometimes the taste, of micro-thawed meat.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So, it's not dangerous to thaw meat in the sink under cold water? Just seems like that might be dangerous. I saw my son do that. He (college student) says he does it all of the time. I've never done it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I remember back in the day when we just used to let meat thaw out on the counter! Then "they" said that was unsafe and came up with the thaw it in the sink under cold water. And change the water frequently. Now I think the two safest ways are to just thaw it in the fridge.....or thaw in the microwave.

If I plan things out, I thaw in the fridge. If I am in a real pinch, I will thaw in the micro, but I'd rather not.....especially boneless breast of chicken. I'll take my chances with that and thaw them in the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3053938;
    I remember back in the day when we just used to let meat thaw out on the counter! Then "they" said that was unsafe and came up with the thaw it in the sink under cold water. And change the water frequently. Now I think the two safest ways are to just thaw it in the fridge.....or thaw in the microwave.
    I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but I often just thaw meat in the sink, no water. I grew up with my mom doing that, I didn't get sick. I do it now if I forget to take something out a couple of days ahead of time to thaw in the fridge. I don't leave it out overnight, or out if it's really hot out, but I do leave it out sometimes. I'm not recommending this to others, but it can be done without violent illness to follow.

Duxxy: I'm glad they found your car! Too bad it's got a criminal record though now. I hope you get it back once they can release it to you.

MRD: Congrats on the kitchen aid mixer! I hope it works really well for you!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3053945;
    I often just thaw meat in the sink, no water.
    I'll do that with beef, but not chicken. If the chicken that I need is frozen, I'll cook something else for dinner.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread