+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Some of my friends got into a big discussion on the dinner/supper terms (it was too hot to do anything else!), and this song came up. Apparently, Springsteen has recorded this song! Will wonders never cease?!

OLD DAN TUCKER (lyrics)
    Traditional

Old Dan Tucker's a fine old man Washed his face in a fryin' pan Combed his hair with a wagon wheel And died with a toothache in his heel Hey get outa the way, old Dan Tucker Too late to get your supper. Supper's over and dinner's cookin', an' Ol' Dan Tucker jus' stand there lookin'. Now old Dan Tucker is come to town Riding a billy goat leadin' a hound The hound dog bark and the billy goat jump Sent Ol' Dan Tucker right straddle of a stump * Refrain Now old Dan Tucker he got drunk Fell in the fire and kicked up a chunk Gotta live coal in his shoe And oh my lawd how the ashes flew * Refrain Now old Dan Tucker is come to town Swinging the ladies round and round First to the right and then to the left Then to the girl that he loves best * Refrain

I didn't realize that 'lunch' came into play as an interchangeable term here, but I guess it does.

mrd, I look forward to reading your blog!

Everybody Stay Hydrated!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I'm from the Midwest and supper has always been synonymous with dinner here--dinner seemed to be the fancier word for supper, actually! Lunch is what's used to refer to the mid-day meal. I loved reading about how supper/lunch actually had a stronger connection! The things you learn on the FoRT!

ETA: I just checked Merriam Webster's definition of supper and here's what it say:
    supper - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry:
    sup·per Listen to the pronunciation of supper
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈsə-pər\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English soper, from Anglo-French super, from super to sup — more at sup
    Date:
    13th century

1 a: the evening meal especially when dinner is taken at midday b: a social affair featuring a supper; especially : an evening social especially for raising funds 2: the food served as a supper 3: a light meal served late in the evening

I always thought that breakfast, lunch and supper designated meals at the various meal breaks of the day.
    Dinner was either lunch or supper, depending on which one was larger or more formal meal of the day.

Then there is always Brunch, which is a morning combination of breakfast and lunch.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

dinner (same reference as Lois Lane)

Main Entry:
    din·ner Listen to the pronunciation of dinner
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈdi-nər\
    Function:
    noun
    Usage:
    often attributive
    Etymology:
    Middle English diner, from Anglo-French disner, diner meal, from disner to dine
    Date:
    13th century

1 a: the principal meal of the day

b: a formal feast or banquet

2: table d'hôte 2

3: the food prepared for a dinner

4: a packaged meal usually for quick preparation
    — din·ner·less Listen to the pronunciation of dinnerless \-ləs\ adjective
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My old camp used "dinner" to refer to the noon meal, and "supper" at night. And dinner was definitely bigger than supper. At home, it's always been breakfast, lunch, dinner, but our biggest meal has always been at night-- except on holidays, when dinner is used to refer to the mid-afternoon meal.

Five second rant: It is 95 degrees in New York right now. Inside my office? 82-- with more computers than people. We can't so much as open a door, and maintenance claims that nothing is wrong with the air conditioner, they've looked at it twice, and won't do anything further. Is 4pm here yet?!

That happens in my office all the time! Some areas you can walk to and it's freezing, other areas it's so hot it is stuffy! I think the air conditioning companies do that crap on purpose!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Typically, my office is freezing to the point where we all have fleece stored in our desks, so this is something completely new. I ran to Duane Reade this morning and bought a $10 fan... which is now sitting three inches from me, making it tolerable, but I hope this one clears up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3046310;
    Typically, my office is freezing to the point where we all have fleece stored in our desks, so this is something completely new. I ran to Duane Reade this morning and bought a $10 fan... which is now sitting three inches from me, making it tolerable, but I hope this one clears up fast.
    You are lucky missy, we aren't allowed to have fans at our desks. If the unit shuts down completely, the office provides giant fans in the common areas to circulate the air (which is like circulating an oven!)
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3044627;
    Well I will be one of those spending a fortune on gas this week Have to drive to Hemet (in the middle of the Mojave desert) this week for a funeral. Then have to drive to Vegas for a wedding of a close friend of my husband's on Saturday. I swore we would never drive to Vegas again as flying is so much cheaper out of our local airport. However, we had short notice of this wedding and when we went to book the airline tickets, it was going to cost us several hundred dollars. Ugh... So it will definitely be less expensive to drive - but darn it, it is a long drive through the desert. And an even longer (so it seems) drive home. All I can say is that I will be drinking lots and I had better win lots of $$. That is alot of hours in the car this week!
    I had the worlds best Ruben sandwich near Hemet. Driving to Vegas isn't so bad. I have friends who are professional gamblers and that's the only way they make profit.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3045200;
    We have dinner at noon and supper at night and that is how it's always been in my house.

The only difference is where you live. In the South, dinner is at noon. Supper is at night.
    We only used the old 'bigger meal' rule--so at Granny's, where she made five veggies, meat, corn bread AND biscuits at noon, that was dinner--at Mom's, dinner was the evening meal. I haven't heard anyone say "dinner' for a mid dya meal since my Granny passed away 20 years ago. except on holidays, when we have a big feast nmid day. Even big grilled out weekend lunches are 'lunch' unless it's a birthdaqy or whatever. And we usually say 'supper' at night, no matter what.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread