+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6462Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3044949;
    What is the difference between dinner and supper, and which term did you grow up using?
    when i was growing up, my parents called it supper. once i got older and wanted to be 'less like them', i adopted the term dinner instead. i still say dinner.

as for the difference, i always thought it was the same thing ... just different cultural words.

I grew up eating supper. Now, I usually eat dinner.

as for the difference, i always thought it was the same thing ... just different cultural words
    I heard somewhere that 'dinner' refers to the largest meal of the day, which may or may not be supper.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

My parents always used "supper" for the evening meal and "dinner" for the afternoon meal (but sometimes they said "lunch" -- I think on weekdays). When I moved out of their corner of the world (and had people look at me cross-eyed when I used their expressions for various things) and wanted to communicate more in standard American English rather than the regional dialect, I chose to use "lunch" for the midday meal and "dinner" for the evening meal. (I also worked very hard to change my pronunciation and lose the accent -- which turned out to be good planning for my profession!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3044949;
    What is the difference between dinner and supper, and which term did you grow up using?
    Funny you should ask that. I just finished my speech, and I talk about that.

We have dinner at noon and supper at night and that is how it's always been in my house.

The only difference is where you live. In the South, dinner is at noon. Supper is at night.

Lunch is used, but originally meant someone who took their "lunch" to school, the mill, whatever. It meant you didn't go back home at noon to eat dinner, so you ate lunch out of your lunch pail instead.

I take it Hemet is NOT a vacation destination? Sounds similar to where I grew up. Lots of old folks in trailers and pickups with guns. And when we got the phone in time and temperature it made front page news. I am NOT kidding either. People would call the time and temp. number just to hear it. You'd get a busy signal when you tried to call it.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-08-2008 at 08:59 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm a little late, but Duxxy, I hope you find your car and get your bathroom reno that you've been waiting so long for.

Thanks Pineapple, it's never too late for positive vibes.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3045200;
    I take it Hemet is NOT a vacation destination?
    Oh lord no -- definitely NOT a vacation destination! It's bad enough to have to drive through Hemet, much less have to stay there for more than . . . oh . . . five minutes.

But if the doctor tells you that you have only 6 weeks left to live, go to Hemet -- it'll seem like six decades!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3043884;
    Right out of your driveway? Those were some brazen auto thieves! I hope everything works out, Duxxy.
    Well, my mom's car was stolen from in front of our house a few years ago. The police ended up finding at about 5 miles from our house. We figured that the people ran out of gas or they figured out that the car was really crappy (it was a ford tempo station wagon.) The only thing they stole was change and my sweatjacket. A year ago, our other car was broken into, and the only things stolent were my quesadilla maker I just bought from the goodwill, some wrapping paper in the hatch back trunk area, about 47 cents in nickles and dimes, a pack of cigarettes my brother left in there.... and the sweat jacket I bought to replace the previously stolen sweat jacket.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Duxxy,

Your husband's idea about driving around is a good one. I had a car stolen way back in 1985. It was abandoned in a factory parking lot about a mile from my house (after an apparant joy ride as it was FULL of empty beer cans when I got to go to the police impound lot to get my stuff out of it.) It had been missing over 30 days when someone that worked in the factory finally called about it. My insurance had paid out on it and I had bought a new car by then. I did get to go get my stuff out of it. Nothing was missing (I didin't keep much in it, it was a really small car with no storage-Mazda RX-7), but like I said it was full of empty beer cans. But I remember that even the few cassette tapes I had were still in it. I guess the theives didn't like my choice of music.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find yours soon.

MRD

I posted my "pigs and corn" lecture on my blog if anyone is interested in reading it.

I'm giving it on June 25.
    It's kind of long (I had to post it on my blog here in 6 parts), runs about 20 minutes when I've practiced it.

Anyway, it was hard as I had so much information and had to whittle it down, so there are probably some glaring ommissions, but I just couldn't completely cover everything and I didn't even really go into some things like beverages and whiskey distilling (which was big here).

But it was a lot of fun. I learned some interesting things, I read some great essays on food and hundreds of wonderful recipes.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-09-2008 at 07:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread