+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 2430 FirstFirst ... 377778798081828384858687888990919293949596971371875871087 ... LastLast
Like Tree5805Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    myrosiedog, that's fantastic you're going to finish your degree! I hope you do teach children how fun history is (and how important it is). There was one of those studies recently that showed how American kids couldn't point to very many places outside of the U.S. on a world map (and if you asked them to find certain states, you were out of luck). That wouldn't be that surprising for grammar school children...but these were college kids! They couldn't even find Africa or China! Hint: THEY'RE BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    (and if you asked them to find certain states, you were out of luck).
    So, how many states can you find? This is quite interesting. You have to place the states in their proper location. Try it.
    http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/stat...te15s_500.html

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    So, how many states can you find? This is quite interesting. You have to place the states in their proper location. Try it.
    http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/stat...te15s_500.html
    Ooh, a challenge! Cool. How many did you get? If I get 30 correct, I'll be happy. I can't get to the site but am going to try later from home. I used to love these geography type games (even though I admitted sucked at them). Does anyone remember the episode of "FRIENDS" where Ross was challenged to find all 50 continental states and and kept finding like 55 or so? He wouldn't eat Thanksgiving dinner until he found them all...

Thanks Unk, that was really cool. There's a few issues with the program that kind of skew the score, though. I missed Kentucky (where I live ) by 80 miles because there was simply no other states that were placed around it yet. So it was a bit like playing pin the tail on the donkey to try to get it exactly placed with no context clues. However, I had a lot of fun with it. My score was 46 out of 50, with an average error of 21 miles (how far away from the mark I had the states). The only one I REALLY screwed up on was Rhode Island. I had it way off of where it needed to be.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Forty-eight perfect, average error 7 miles. I also blew Kentucky, so I think that the Congress should adjust the state borders to fix it. I took some wild educated guesses in the New England area that turned out pretty well.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

This is fun!

I got thirty-nine perfect, or 78%. Not too bad for someone who lives on the other side of the pond, eh? I got all of New England right - thanks Stephen King and John Irving! - as well as the Pacific Coast and most of the South. It's all the Midwestern states that got me all confused.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I've forgotten (from 36 seconds ago) how many I got right, but I had an average of 47 miles off. I would have gotten everything right (honestly ) if I didn't have to try and place all the square states with no reference point.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    44 right, not too bad. It's hard without a reference point on some of them. I got new england right, but the midwest defeated me.

If given a map of the US with state borders already in place, I'm fairly sure I could get close to 100%

Here's a funny. I have a friend that teaches 4th grade. They are studying the US states. She was talking to them about which states are north or south or east or west of other states. They all said Alaska was south of Texas. She kept asking them "are you sure?" yes, they were all sure. Finally she says: show me on the map why you think that. Well if its just a map of the US, Hawaii and Alaska are just randomly put somewhere as they do not connect with the mainland US. If its a North American Map its different. But on her school map, Alaska and Hawaii were most definetly south of Texas.

---------------------
    So how many state capitals can you guys name now?

http://www.ipl.org/div/stateknow/capitalgame.html

abysmal. I got 25 out of 50. I need to go back to school.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-24-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    No, he was that guy that refused to leave his home when Mt. St. Helen's erupted on May 18, 1980 (I know this as it was my 18th birthday. I always have to add that part about Mt. St. Helens because its become a family joke and now when its mentioned everyone looks at me expecing me to say: That was on my 18th birthday you know. )

Muduh, you ARE quite the VIP. I wanted to stop on our way up to SC to go to Plains. One of these days I'm going to do it. Have you read any of Carter's books about growing up in Plains? They are quite good.

nlmcp-yeah, unfortunately history is boring and not one of those things that the schools test for, so they don't give a lot of it. I swear in a few years all they are gong to teach is math and reading so they can score high in those standardized tests so they can get the extra funding for their schools.

And yet, here I am poised to start back to college in Jan. to finish my degree in history. And what the heck am I going to do with it? Probably be teacing it if I can find a job. And I will make sure those little minds know about the important stuff.

========
    Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
    If you ever decide to go to Plains, plan far enough ahead that you can get on the website and see when President Carter will teach Sunday school, then if you'd like to go, that would be great, if not, you might like to go at a less busy time. Either way, plan to stay at Plains Historic Inn, which is an unusual type B&B. Also, take snacks, or whatever you might want, because there isnt a grocery in the place.

I haven't tried this map yet, but have done others on google and I agree with those of you who got one a few miles off and lost points. I wonder if there's anyone who could take a perfectly blank map and put Kansas exactly in the right place, even if it IS supposedly in the geographic center of the US.

I won't even give you my score - too embarrassing. I will tell you, though, that some of the state capitals I got right were quite bizarre ones. There is no earthly reason why I should know that Cheyenne is the state capital of Wyoming, yet I do. I also got Idaho, Rhode Island and a bunch of other small(ish) states right, while I flunked on New York and Florida. Oh, and I got Helena, Montana right for self-explanatory reasons.

Geography was one of my favourite subjects in school, at least while we were still on the writing on Xeroxed maps stage.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread