+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3030135;
    Why is it always the boys that do stupid stuff like that? My son is doing well this year, but he could still do better. He just doesn't study! He's smart enough that he can get Bs without having to study, so that's what he does. I keep telling him he could get As if he'd just study a little bit. He keeps telling me that Bs mean he is "average". He said "average is good". I counter with "average is great if that's the best you can do, but it's not". I really think it's a boy thing. My friends at work say the same things about their sons, but not their daughters. They refuse to listen to parents - they just have to make (and hopefully learn from) their own mistakes. I hope things work out OK, buglover.
    I've seen the gate swing both ways.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I only have a son, but have friends/co-workers that have both sons and daughters. From talking to them, it seems to be much more common among boys. But then again, maybe these people just have smarter daughters than average!

I think that having boys is easier emotionally because I was a horrible daughter in my teenage years!! I fought with my mom non-stop and just didn't listen to anything she said. My son is merely lazy. He moves very slowly and doesn't follow direction very well until you give him the look of death...but at least he doesn't scream in my face the way I did to my mother and my friend's daughters have done to them.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I have to agree with Newf. I didn't think any of us would survive my daughter's 7th grade year. Same thing, could do the work, just didn't. Laziness.
    And I heard that argument about average too and I told her I didn't buy it.
    She had already proved she was capable of making straight A's so I said that if she could do it for 6 years, she could still do it. Had she been an "average" student all along, then her argument would fly, but as she hadn't, it didn't.

And my daughter isn't the only one. I've had friends with daughters that pulled the same thing. And I'm raising my hand here too. I was guilty of it both in 8th grade and 12th grade. Just decided that I wasn't going to do it, I was bored, it wasn't important, yada, yada, yada. My mother yanked a knot in my tail both times and I brought up the grades.

But I don't think it's just a boy thing. I've had my own experiences and seen friends with the same with their girls AND boys.

Sorry you guys are having to go through this. It sucks, but it does get better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Do your children's schools post grades to Edline or some other grade-posting website? I feel that I can stay more on top of what's going on with my kids' grades now that I can see weekly grades and teacher comments online. The thing that kills me is when I see that grades (my sons especially) have gone down because of missing work that he either forgot about or was too lazy to do.

Push for your school district to get an online grade book like Progress Book. ProgressBook | Classroom Management Software | Student Progress Reporting | Parent Communications

I know there are other systems, but this is what my district has been using for at least three years. It may seem a little "Big Brother-ish" at first, but we are their parents!!!!

You can see every grade as it is posted and whether an assignment is missing. Fortunately I haven't had too many problems with either my son or daughter, but I have a friend whose son drives her nuts with the missing homework that he did at home but just didn't bother to turn in to the teacher.

eta: Great minds, Bunny555!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

We have a parent site through the school where we can monitor his progress throughout the year. It's a great tool, it's just getting him to pull up his assignments that takes effort. I can yell and take away everything but he's almost 16 and really needs to figure out that things have to get done without someone telling him constantly. It's the same way with his chores.... 3 little chores and I still have to remind him nearly everyday!
    Yup, with donuts!!

yeah, my son went thorugh that. Not trying too hard in high school. He didn't do bad, but didn't do his potential either.
    Took him a year in college to find what he wanted to do also - then got going - great grades, teacher assistant, great participation and referrals from the professors.
    got his BA and tried to go for his PhD directly. what kept him from going to the places he wanted to - High school grades and participation.
    so he stayed at the same place and got his Master's - and tried again for the PhD. same problems. He is going to an excellent college for it - but definitely not the ones he would have preferred.
    I know someone told us it doesn't really matter where you get your degree (as long as reputable), it matters what you do with it. but if you can't get where you want to be cause of HS, you really need to think about it before you get to college. stupid permanent records. /rant

PS from mom. of course, he wanted Berkley first. ended up in Cleveland. personally, I like the proximity and living costs a lot better in Cleveland.

Our school is supposed to send progress reports via email and I only got one for this semester. A breakdown in communication.

He's been moping around the house all day. We did work on painting the house and that will keep us busy for awhile. He is really scared the school won't let him participate fully in band/choir next year..his last. But here is his punishment: and tell me if you think it is too much/little

1) Study ACT every day. (he is taking it in a couple weeks)
    2) We are looking into virtuil school info for retaking this class..
    3) His X-box has been put away for the summer
    4) His social life has been curtailed. Only allowed to basketball w/ friends 2 hours.
    5) internet use only for school/ACT/college and email.
    6) 5 page paper on good study habits.
    7) he also has to find a job ASAP. We've stopped giving him gas money and he is really feeling the pinch on that. So funny to hear him say to his sister.."Do you know how much gas that will burn up if I drop you off there?"

DD who just finished 8th grade is starting to be a bit of concern. She brought up a couple of grades that were a concern, but the others she was doing well in dropped! Shes got a paper due on study habits as well.

Honestly, and I've told both them this. We've always expected them to go to college. But if they find something else to do that they love, it is fine with me. I just want them to be productive, happy members of society.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I wonder if it's a cultural thing sometimes. I have several boy students -- 2nd - 5th grade -- all Korean. They work hard, take on extra projects (even for "just tutoring" and no grades), and are already talking (excitedly) about when they can study at Harvard, MIT, CalTech, Yale, etc.

As for me? Nope, not Asian. I grew up in Milwaukee -- Polish-American. I was NEVER satisfied with B+ or even A-. If I got any less than an A, I had my nose in my books and asked my teachers for extra help, etc., until I got those grades up. (Did I have a 4.0? First in my class? Nope -- 3.85 and top 10. But not for lack of trying.) So with students, I don't put up with laziness. (And the parents back me up -- they know I have a waiting list!)
    Last edited by Ellen; 05-30-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread