+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3015869;
    For fear that the How Are Your Neighbors thread is getting off topic I decided to post this here.

Last week my husband and I went to the grocery store. When we first walked in there was a little girl about 3-4 yrs old. She was already crying about something and Dad told her she needed to stop crying and acting out or they were going to leave without anything. She calmed down a little but I could still hear her argueing about wanting something as they walked away. We stood by the counter talking to a friend of my husbands when about a full 5mins later I hear that girl screaming and its getting closer. Then I hear dad say, "No! Just keep going." Then she went walking past still screaming with dad right behind her, looking all kinds of stressed out and embaressed, and they headed straight out the door.

While all the other customers were looking disgusted I wanted to cheer the guy. I thought it was great that he not only told the girl what the consequenses were going to be but he also followed through. I would almost put money on it that the next time they go to the store she won't act like that. I feel sorry for the guy that he is now going to have to make another trip to the store but he really proved he's got some parenting skills. More parents should do this and it will make their next trip to the store easier. All they have to say is, "Do you want to leave now?" and the kid will believe that they mean it.
    My parents did the opposite, not in letting us scream and get what we wanted, but if we couldn't behave ourselves, they'd say that they didn't have time for that and that they would go on with the shopping and then go home. It, obviously, only happened once or twice, but I don't think that they ever got much further than just leaving the aisle before we ran to their side and behaved ourselves for the remainder of the time - and only other times to come.

MRD

Yeah for that man! I would have wanted to give him an award.

At Christmas, I witnessed a similar thing in Walmart, but the kid just kept screaming. As I was checking out, the kid was sitting in Santa's lap. I wanted to walk over there and tell Santa that he'd been a bad boy and screamed constantly throughout the food section. So this one was rewarded for his screaming by getting to see Santa. I would have NEVER let my child see Santa. I would probably have pointed Santa out and said: "little girls that scream don't get to see Santa and he knows you've been naughty because he could hear it".

I have left stores before with a half full shopping cart. Only had to do it once or twice, but it works.

Bunny, I had to at the toy out the window. A friend of mine did that one time and boy that kid was well behaved in the car after that. But this wasn't a happy meal toy, but a doll that the kid had gotten for Christmas.

I have in the past turned the car around and headed for home. We were going to the beach one day and my daughter and her friend were arguing in the back seat. I had gotten on to both of them and then I just pulled off on the side of the road, waited for traffic and turned around. It got REAL quiet and I hear this voice: "where are we going?"
    "HOME, I warned you and you still didn't stop, so we're not going to the beach". Well no one spoke a WORD the rest of the way and boy after that, my daughter would tell her friends: "you have to be good or my mom will take us home".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Children can be quite the manipulators if we let them win. And they are smart and persistent. Some people just refuse to understand that children do play head games with adults and, a lot of times, are successful. The tricks to dealing with "kiddy head games" is that the parents should be resolved to dig in their heels and never lose. Everybody will be happier, in the long run.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3016385;
    Children can be quite the manipulators if we let them win. And they are smart and persistent. Some people just refuse to understand that children do play head games with adults and, a lot of times, are successful. The tricks to dealing with "kiddy head games" is that the parents should be resolved to dig in their heels and never lose. Everybody will be happier, in the long run.
    You got that right. Children can be master manipulators if you let them.

Someone (I don't remember who) in this thread said something about "Camp Quitcherbitchin."
    Well, now there are tee-shirts (with a portion of the profits going to charity). Check out a friend's Web site:
    Welcome to Quichrbichn - [Be Quietly]
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

CantGetEnuf, next time, stop the guy and politely tell him how much you appreciate his parenting. It goes a long way when others let you know that you're doing it right. I've been that other parent and I feel like a tool knowing that I'm making others' shopping experience less than comfortable for the sake of parenting.

And as for the throwing things out of car windows... not me, never ever. Littering is so bad. I would take the toy home and throw it away to get the point. Don't teach your kids that it's okay to throw things out the window. They have a website here in Texas to report litterbugs and I've done it a few times. But they only get a bumper sticker and a letter mailed to them. What good does that do? I HATE LITTERBUGS!! It's my biggest pet peeve. I've been sitting at a stop light and watched some doofus throw out crap and I just want to put my car in park, pick it up and give it back to them and tell them they've dropped something. Do they think a magical fairy is going to come and pick up their trash?? One of these days if I get a gun and a concealed license maybe I'll do it. But I'm a big chicken. Don't litter folks. It's stupid. And pray that I'm never behind you because one of these days I'll get up the nerve to tap on your window and hand you back your trash.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I agree with you on the littering, burntbrat. Another aspect is that it could be dangerous as well. On the highway, throwing something hard which may hit another car's windshield. Something slippery, like leftover food, could cause cars to slink. I realise that this probably is extreme, but if something happens, then it's dangerous. I say teaching our children not to litter is very important, but also we shouldn't forget about traffic safety.

I've sometimes told people (that don't look too dangerous) that they've dropped something when just littering. If the say that it wasn't important, I have replied with "well, then I'll put it in the waste bin". I don't do it very often, you never know how people are going to react.

~buurrrrppppp~ Today was Company Picnic Day. I made the potato salad (Mom's fantabulous recipe ) and the Scandinavian blueberry-yogurt pie. My partner made the marinated, grilled chicken wings. I may not eat or move for the rest of the day. ~BRAAWWPPPP~ My partner's little boy is a bit careless with his food, so Gustav got a taste and is now trying to get his paws on the very limited leftovers.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3018873;
    ~buurrrrppppp~ Today was Company Picnic Day. I made the potato salad (Mom's fantabulous recipe ) and the Scandinavian blueberry-yogurt pie. My partner made the marinated, grilled chicken wings. I may not eat or move for the rest of the day. ~BRAAWWPPPP~ My partner's little boy is a bit careless with his food, so Gustav got a taste and is now trying to get his paws on the very limited leftovers.
    Sounds fabulous Newf. Our dogs love little boys and girls because they are not only careless with food, but are lower to the ground than adults and therefore more accessible to the dogs to just take food out of their hands.

Wish I had some potato salad.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3019060;
    Sounds fabulous Newf. Our dogs love little boys and girls because they are not only careless with food, but are lower to the ground than adults and therefore more accessible to the dogs to just take food out of their hands.

Wish I had some potato salad.
    Nothing more priceless than the look on a youngsters face after a dog has taken the food out of its' hand.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread