+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 2545 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495961361865861086 ... LastLast
Like Tree7166Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I feel like your Mom. I look in the mirror and see Maxine.

I once shook hands with Harry Truman. Anyone know who HE was?
    Isn't he the father of Margaret Truman that writes the murder mysteries about Washington DC????

I stood in line in a bank behind Spiro Agnew after he had resigned from office. Bet no one knows who that is either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You were around when I saw him. May have been a baby, but you were around.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    ...my girlfriends seem to all want to be sadly ignorant. I had one tell me in 2004 that she was voting for George Bush because she didn't like John Kerry's hair. WHAT??? I asked her if she knew ANYTHING about what either candidate was promising. Nope, not a thing. It was the hair that convinced her. I just thought you aren't choosing a boyfriend, you're choosing a president, learn more about the issues and focus less on the haircut. Geez.
    I think that we ought to be able to have the right to make a citizen's confiscation of a voting registration card when you hear stuff like that. Nope, hand it over, you're too stupid to vote.
    She didn't like Kerry's hair but she thought that Bush's coif was acceptably presidential? I can die now - I've heard it all.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    She didn't like Kerry's hair but she thought that Bush's coif was acceptably presidential? I can die now - I've heard it all.

I kid you NOT! What exactly is presidential hair? I'm thinking Kennedy had it, but not Johnson or Nixon. Ford had it and so did Reagan and Clinton. Not Carter or the first Bush. Interesting subject, someone should write a book about it!

So Muduh, when did you meet Truman? I was born in 1962 and I can't remember when he died.

My grandmothers family lived in Abeilene (sp?) Kansas and the next farm over was the Eisenhower farm. My great uncles used to play with the Eisenhower kids. I have a Sat. Evening Post that has a story in it written by one of my great uncles called: I grew up with Ike. It's from the early 1950's during Eisenhowers presidency. Now how do I know that because that was definetly before I was born. Oh and didn't have have something or other to do with WWII??? Or i am thinking about the jacket they named after him?

I was thinking today that my grandmother would be 100 this year and all the advancements that happened in her lifetime (she lived to be 93) and how when she was born, flight had just happened for the first time. There were still more horses than cars, the interstate system wasn't in place. Women didn't have the right to vote. There was no radio, tv or internet. Man hadn't been to the moon, antibiotics had not been invented and neither had sliced bread or the electric stove or refrigerator. Movies were silent, there were no bikinis or butt sag pants. The only Paris anyone had heard about was in France and didn't have the last name of Hilton. And sadly there are many people that have no clue about ANY of this stuff.

I was a young teenager when I "met" Truman, so it was in the early fifties. I went to ALBEN BARKLEY'S funeral and Truman was there.

I'm pretty important and have been around, don't you know.

I met, and had my picture made with President and Mrs Carter two years ago.
    I was at the Clinton Library last week. See what I mean? VIP, that's me.

Sorry, foggy memory. I just googled and Barkley outlived Truman, so it obviously wasn't HIS funeral. I will ask my older sister what corpse was involved because I definitely met Truman in a cemetery in my home town. I could go right back to the same place.
    Last edited by Muduh; 08-23-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post

I once shook hands with Harry Truman. Anyone know who HE was?
    'Course I do. He's the sheriff on Twin Peaks, right?

Kidding.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

History has seem to have fallen by the wayside in education. My kids were asking me about the Vietnam War after seeing something on TV and I made a comment about the Korea War and they had no clue. They really don't much about anything passed the Civil War and even what they know is pretty hazzy. Gone are the days when in 7th and 8th grade you had an hour of history daily.

My parents are dealing with the "both retired now" syndrome. My mom retired about a year ago and my dad has been retired for years. The shock was put off due to them going and helping my sister after her surgery, helping me after mine and my dad having the bypass but now it's turning into an issue.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    'Course I do. He's the sheriff on Twin Peaks, right?

Kidding.

No, he was that guy that refused to leave his home when Mt. St. Helen's erupted on May 18, 1980 (I know this as it was my 18th birthday. I always have to add that part about Mt. St. Helens because its become a family joke and now when its mentioned everyone looks at me expecing me to say: That was on my 18th birthday you know. )

Muduh, you ARE quite the VIP. I wanted to stop on our way up to SC to go to Plains. One of these days I'm going to do it. Have you read any of Carter's books about growing up in Plains? They are quite good.

nlmcp-yeah, unfortunately history is boring and not one of those things that the schools test for, so they don't give a lot of it. I swear in a few years all they are gong to teach is math and reading so they can score high in those standardized tests so they can get the extra funding for their schools.

And yet, here I am poised to start back to college in Jan. to finish my degree in history. And what the heck am I going to do with it? Probably be teacing it if I can find a job. And I will make sure those little minds know about the important stuff.

========
    Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    nlmcp-yeah, unfortunately history is boring and not one of those things that the schools test for, so they don't give a lot of it. I swear in a few years all they are gong to teach is math and reading so they can score high in those standardized tests so they can get the extra funding for their schools.
    Boring??!!! How on earth can anyone find history boring? It's got all the drama and romance and fighting that entertains in a book or a movie, but it's real. I can never go anywhere without finding out something about the past of that particular place. I've been reading about Roosevelt Island (formerly Welfare Island or Blackwell's Island) in New York, and I really want to go to New York, not to shop or go to the theatre, but to photograph the abandoned sanatoria. Fascinating.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Boring??!!! How on earth can anyone find history boring? It's got all the drama and romance and fighting that entertains in a book or a movie, but it's real. I can never go anywhere without finding out something about the past of that particular place. I've been reading about Roosevelt Island (formerly Welfare Island or Blackwell's Island) in New York, and I really want to go to New York, not to shop or go to the theatre, but to photograph the abandoned sanatoria. Fascinating.
    WEll RAttus you're preaching to the choir here, I meant to say that history is boring to MOST people. I am going back to school in Jan. to finish my history degree because I LOVE history. But I know an awful lot of people that find history boring. But I'm like you, I find it very interesting and its funny but a lot of the blockbuster movies that people who say they don't like history are based on historical happenings: Titanic is just one that comes to mind this early, but still I LOVE history and learning new things about it.

However almost everyone of my friends and even my husbands prospective employer says: why would she want to study history???

Now besides teach, I don't know what I'm going to do with my history degree, but at least I will have finished it and that is what I want to do.

When we were on our trip in May, we had a private tour guide take us around San Francisco. He was a huge history buff (ex history teacher) and he had so many stories and stuff about the city. We saw the areas destroyed by the great quake, heard so many stories about it and how San Franciso started and grew, we saw the presido and and Golden Gate Park where the beatles played their last concert, saw Haight Ashbury, Chinatown, the gun emplacents that were built to protect the city during WWII and SO much more. THis tour was the best part of the entire trip for me. So what is the highlight of the day for my 2 friends? The row of houses that appear in the opening of the show FUll house. I was embarrassed. I really was. The tour guide was in disbelief. We saw this wonderful, beautiful city, rich in history and culture and they think seeing the Full House houses was the best part.

+ Reply to Thread