+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4432Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Here's something that the teachers at the community center turned me on to. If you like words, it can be fun, while helping feed people. FreeRice

If you've got some time, give it a shot. The worst thing you can do is improve your vocabulary a bit! The kids at the center get a kick out of it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've seen this before and I think it's a wonderful idea!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2998805;
    I also have never cared for kool-aid. Just cannot stand sugary drinks in any form. Ice water, iced tea (unsweetened - naked is the term I use), and diet soda occasionally. My husband grew up on kool-aid and loves it to this day, but my son seems to follow in my footsteps - won't drink it.
    LOVE it! I HAVE got to use that now. May I???? That's great.

I had a group of learning disabled middle school kids today at the museum. I just love these kids. They are so much fun and so eager to please. They were varying levels of disabled, from high functioning to very low functioning, but they were great. One girl declared that I am now her BEST friend and wanted to hold my hand throughout the tour. Most of the other docents don't like to do the LD kids, but I have told them that I will make myself available for these classes as I just really enjoy them so much.

I then sat down and wrote an entire learning program for first graders who are coming through the museum tomorrow. We normally only do programs for 3rd grade and up, but TPTB decided that our other programs wouldn't work for first grade, so I spent the afternoon doing a pictoral scavenger hunt and writing out talking points for the docents in each gallery of the museum. It was actually a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.

THis week I also worked on the volunteer policies and procedures manual they are updating and added several paragraphs that I felt should be covered. And put together teacher packets that no one else had ever thought to do. I realize that I'm about to dislocate my shoulder for all this self back patting, but I have really, really, really enjoyed this and because of my efforts, they are requesting extra money in the budget that is bring presented next week to the board to add me to the education department so maybe I will have a part or full time job even sooner than I thought instead of the contract work they talked to me about last week. AND
    I get to meet the governor on Mon.

I've never had so much fun doing anything as this and I love the people I get to work with. And the kids are all just incredible. That's the part I enjoy the most.
    I wish you guys could have seen the kids I had today. We really had a lot of fun together.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congrats, MRD!
    Curriculum development is a blast. I discovered the fun of it when I was working at a then-fledgling, experimental, elementary-level foreign language immersion school. It's fun to see some of my "winging-it" projects I wrote as a college student are now not only part of the standard curriculum, but also part of the model curriculum for other immersion schools across the nation.
    It never ends. I still do it as part of the independent contractor work I do now.
    Yay, YOU!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3000629;
    Congrats, MRD!
    Curriculum development is a blast. I discovered the fun of it when I was working at a then-fledgling, experimental, elementary-level foreign language immersion school. It's fun to see some of my "winging-it" projects I wrote as a college student are now not only part of the standard curriculum, but also part of the model curriculum for other immersion schools across the nation.
    It never ends. I still do it as part of the independent contractor work I do now.
    Yay, YOU!!!
    Thanks Ellen. It was a lot of fun. We'll see how well it works tomorrow with over 90 1st graders going through the museum in just over 2 hours!!!!!

This is the first time we've had kids that were under the 3rd grade. (as a school trip, we've had individual children that young and younger, but no program was in place for anything under 3rd grade before today).

So tomorrow I should know if it's going to work or not.

However, they are still using my 5th grade program that I developed back before Christmas, so hopefully the 1st grade one works as well.

And I have NO formal training in this, so I'm really "winging it". Other than being a Sunday school teacher and girl scout leader, I have not been formally taught program development.

Congratulations, MRD!! It sounds fantastic - anxious to hear how the 1st graders do. These are the times that the kids will remember for the rest of their lives - and thanks to YOU!!

LOVE it! I HAVE got to use that now. May I???? That's great.
    Absolutely!! Now people can look at you funny when you order.... yet, they always know what you mean....

UGH! I have tiny moths in my pantry. It's very annoying. I think it started because I bought one of those hanging baskets and put onions, potatoes and tomatoes in it. That's when they showed up. I took the veggies out and put them back in the fridge where they don't taste as good but the moths persist. I've bagged up the rice and anything else they might like. I even bought some sticky tape stuff for flying insects and hung it up in there. The tape is working because I got tons of them stuck on there and took it down and replaced it with another tonight. I'm just confused about what they could be eating. Everything in the pantry is now boxed or bagged. I guess I'm going to have to gut it and go in there with a fly-swatter or something. What's a good moth-killer besides stinky moth balls? The pantry is really just a closet with shelves. That'll teach me to want fresh tasting maters.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Those are pantry pests and can somehow get into things like boxed pasta and rice. Even ones that are sealed. I've emptied many a box of pasta into boiling water only to discover the larva floating in there.
    This product is similar to the sticky tape but it's made specifically for these pests. I keep it in the cupboard with my dry goods and haven't had a problem since.
    http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/cgi-bin/pestcontrol.storefront/EN/catalog/1103
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2998805;
    (unsweetened - naked is the term I use),
    Being in the restaurant business for over 40 years I would take that as meaning no lemon wedge to be served on the lip of the glass. I've finally convinced the powers that be in my company to start selling sweet tea. It took me a while to convince these Yankees that sweet tea is the nectar of the gods.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3001337;
    Being in the restaurant business for over 40 years I would take that as meaning no lemon wedge to be served on the lip of the glass. I've finally convinced the powers that be in my company to start selling sweet tea. It took me a while to convince these Yankees that sweet tea is the nectar of the gods.
    Unk scores one in the still ongoing battle of South vs North!

+ Reply to Thread