+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2977638;
    Ellen, there's all kinds of Southern foods that aren't fried... it just seems to me the rest of the country has a very limited idea of what we eat here. Here's some more besides what MRD posted--Boiled shrimp, barbecue (Here, it means pit smoked meat, usually pork. It does not mean 'cooked on the grill' ), chicken and dressing, chicken and dumplings, stuffed flounder, gumbo, stewed tomatoes, biscuits, red beans and rice...and don't forget desserts--pecan pie, coconut cake, peach cobbler, hummingbird cake, key lime pie, pound cake, banana pudding, and on and on.
    Come see us, we can get you fat without ever using the fryer!

I want BBQ! Once you've had the good stuff, you can never go back. (And I'm from the North... so my BBQ opportunities are few and far between.)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm dying for some good o'l smokey barbecue right now! I'd kill for a sandwich with cole slaw on it right now, but I'd settle for some ribs, even though I hate getting my fingers messy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Now ya'll have me craving some good BBQ. The good stuff is so good, but unfortunately I've also had some bad BBQ.

May have to make a trip to Sticky Fingers this weekend for some ribs. Doxie's husband will be so jealous, I understand he is in LOVE with Sticky Fingers, but they don't have them in Alabama, just here in good ole' South Carolina.

And Prhoshay, that's what makes good BBQ so good is the mess. It ain't "Q" if it ain't messy!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Okay, I do like real barbecue (but not pork) -- "low and slow" is pretty darned awesome! So, in the South, would that make up for my not liking sweet tea, fried anything, or high-fat anything?
    (I know you said you could make me fat without anything fried -- but after working to lose more than 200 pounds, I'm definitely not eager to have to go back to Plus-Size Land!!! I LIKE my size 12 jeans -- which is ultra-plus in California, but tiny when I visit family back in Wisconsin. Go figure.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2979711;
    (I know you said you could make me fat without anything fried -- but after working to lose more than 200 pounds, I'm definitely not eager to have to go back to Plus-Size Land!!!
    Congrats on the weight loss! I've been enjoying the occasional pulled pork sandwich since reaching goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2979711;
    Okay, I do like real barbecue (but not pork)
    But it's not BBQ if it's not pork! ducking and running before the Texas brisket fans arrive

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2977638;
    Ellen, there's all kinds of Southern foods that aren't fried... it just seems to me the rest of the country has a very limited idea of what we eat here. Here's some more besides what MRD posted--Boiled shrimp, barbecue (Here, it means pit smoked meat, usually pork. It does not mean 'cooked on the grill' ), chicken and dressing, chicken and dumplings, stuffed flounder, gumbo, stewed tomatoes, biscuits, red beans and rice...and don't forget desserts--pecan pie, coconut cake, peach cobbler, hummingbird cake, key lime pie, pound cake, banana pudding, and on and on.
    Come see us, we can get you fat without ever using the fryer!
    Don't forget Low Country Boil! Yummm.

What's hummingbird cake? A person could hurt him- or herself on those needle-sharp beaks . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2978454;
    Now ya'll have me craving some good BBQ. The good stuff is so good, but unfortunately I've also had some bad BBQ.

May have to make a trip to Sticky Fingers this weekend for some ribs. Doxie's husband will be so jealous, I understand he is in LOVE with Sticky Fingers, but they don't have them in Alabama, just here in good ole' South Carolina.

And Prhoshay, that's what makes good BBQ so good is the mess. It ain't "Q" if it ain't messy!

You are right! Mr. Doxie LOVES the food at Sticky Fingers. He ate there three times in two days the last time we were in Chattanooga. We don't have one here, but we can buy the Sticky Fingers sauce in the grocery stores. They'll also ship bbq to you through their website (have not tried this) for those of you who are wanting some Q!

I've planted two okra plants and I am looking forward to some fried okra. I'm also going to attempt to make some pickled okra. I had a bloody mary recently that had pickled okra intead of a celery stalk in it and it was wonderful!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Pickled okra is a good friend of mine. Don't care, one whit, about fried okra.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2980521;
    What's hummingbird cake? A person could hurt him- or herself on those needle-sharp beaks . . .
    Oh, you mash them up first--the bananas, silly! It hasbananas, pineapple, nuts, etc...hell, I'll go post it in the Recipe thread. I have no idea why it's named that, but have heard several theories.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread