+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6943Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

In my home I like to make a cranberry wine type drink. I use a shiraz or cabernet and put in a glass with some ice, pour in some light cran-rasberry and some unfiltered cranberry with an orange slice. It's pretty darn tasty!
    Yup, with donuts!!

That sounds yummy -- sort of a cranberry twist on sangria!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't know how anyone drinks diet soft drinks OR sweet tea!! I prefer to sweeten my own tea and add lemon, and WATER is the true nectar of the gods!!!!

Southern food is to die for.....and probably from!!!! At least I'd die with a smile on my face!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I long to travel to the South and sip on homemade tea and eat the food. Sigh, maybe in my next life if I have money!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I'm giving a lecture on the history of Southern Food in June. You are all invited. I'll even make sweet tea for those that like it.

I LOVE diet soda. I'd bathe in it if I could.

I've eaten all over North America, Europe and parts of the middle east and I'm telling you that I have had some good eats, but NOTHING beats some good old home cooking (if you're from the South, it's not Southern Food, but home cooking! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2974528;
    Southern food is to die for.....and probably from!!!! At least I'd die with a smile on my face!
    Another reason I'd make a bad southerner: I don't like fried food!
    (On the plus side, I have excellent cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc.!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2976712;
    Another reason I'd make a bad southerner: I don't like fried food!
    (On the plus side, I have excellent cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc.!)
    Been eating that way all my life and my cholesterol is 124. My blood pressure is pretty good too. I do have to say I attribute it to good genes.

We don't fry EVERYTHING. Cheese straws, pimento cheese sandwiches, cornbread, collard greens, hoppin' john, none of that stuff is fried, but it sure is goooooooood!
    --------------
    There was a program at the museum tonght called: "40 years after the Tet Offensive." We had about 15 Vietnam Vets there talking about their experiences. It brought goosebumps. There was laughter and tears. These guys were something else. One guy had endured the full seige at Khe Sahn that lasted about a month. When he talked I had tears in my eyes. Everyone of them had lost friends and/or relatives in the Vietnam War.
    General Westmoreland's nephew also spoke. He was a Lt. during the Vietnam war in the medical corps. I didn't know until tonight that Westmoreland was from Spartanburg, which is about 30 miles north of here.

After that some of us went to the opening night of the Cornbread and Collard Greens Blues festival. Unk, get that cruiser fired up, if the other 3 nights are like tonight, it will be AWESOME!

Ellen, there's all kinds of Southern foods that aren't fried... it just seems to me the rest of the country has a very limited idea of what we eat here. Here's some more besides what MRD posted--Boiled shrimp, barbecue (Here, it means pit smoked meat, usually pork. It does not mean 'cooked on the grill' ), chicken and dressing, chicken and dumplings, stuffed flounder, gumbo, stewed tomatoes, biscuits, red beans and rice...and don't forget desserts--pecan pie, coconut cake, peach cobbler, hummingbird cake, key lime pie, pound cake, banana pudding, and on and on.
    Come see us, we can get you fat without ever using the fryer!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2977638;
    Ellen, there's all kinds of Southern foods that aren't fried... it just seems to me the rest of the country has a very limited idea of what we eat here. Here's some more besides what MRD posted--Boiled shrimp, barbecue (Here, it means pit smoked meat, usually pork. It does not mean 'cooked on the grill' ), chicken and dressing, chicken and dumplings, stuffed flounder, gumbo, stewed tomatoes, biscuits, red beans and rice...and don't forget desserts--pecan pie, coconut cake, peach cobbler, hummingbird cake, key lime pie, pound cake, banana pudding, and on and on.
    Come see us, we can get you fat without ever using the fryer!
    Sounds like you and I better not ever get in the kitchen together Queenb, although we'd die in heaven wouldn't we?

Since working on my Southern Food lecture and also starting to think about the Southern language lecture, it has occured to me (also talking to a lot of folks who moved here who are not from the South) that the South is a very misunderstand region. I'm thinking now that I may concentrate my studies on Southern culture/history and educate people on why we are like we are and why we're not like what a lot of people think we are.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2975182;

I LOVE diet soda. I'd bathe in it if I could.
    I've had dreams where I'm swimming around in a giant glass of diet coke complete with ice cubes.

All this talk of Southern food is making me hungry!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread