+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7201Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've dealt with a no-kill shelter, twice; my local humane society once; my barber once. The baby from my barber was totally free; the other shelters were about $100, each time. The free baby from my barber actually was more expensive, since none of the shots or spaying had been done. It's all been worth it! I've never had a BOGO, but it's a great idea!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amy Lee: Bless you for wanting to adopt a pet!! Do go to rescue organizations first. Many pets are fostered and are therefore socialized really well before you get them. Take little Lexi; she was a feral kitten born to feral parents and you'd never know it! You may have to pay a fee but they are usually "fixed" and had shots by then as well.

Good luck in your hunt. BTW, what are you thinking of getting?

A little story that was just on the news: A local family got a couple of bunnies one year. Then they had a few litters of bunnies and loved them so much they couldn't or didn't want to give them all away. Finally, a few years later, they've discovered they had gotten in way over their heads. They called the Humane Society who came and picked up......almost 100 bunnies!! They were all in excellent health, and are being checked out before being put up for adoption. So remember, if you want a bunny, make sure you have two of the same sex. Or you will have more bunnies than you can handle!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The breeds im looking for are in general the toy breeds. Specifically a Maltese or a yorkie(a mix of both would be nice too), but i would also accept a Cairn, Pomeranian, and a Shih Tzu. I think it's kind of funny though, how at the nycacc they give you 2 cats for the price of one. I've spotted this cute black and white one there that im keeping an eye on.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Amy Lee - consider a Dachshund! They are small and available in long and short hair and various colors. They are generally not as yappy as most small dogs and they don't have the insane behavior of most terriers. Our Henry (my avatar) is a Dox/Beagle Mix and we rescued him from a shelter about six years ago, He is a great dog. Whatever breed you decide on though - check out rescue organizations and animal shelters before you buy a dog from a pet store. If you are interested in a Dachsie, let me know. I have info about a lot of Dachsie rescue groups.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Amy Lee - Adopt a Dachsund AND 2 cats.....

MRD

I'm calling yesterday a day or religious art, anti-religious art, just plain art, an encounter with Ben Franklin, how to deflate an anti-semite and the parade of ugly prom dresses.

It was a long, strange day indeed.

I started out manning the history museums infor table at the "festival" for the opening of the Bob Jones University satelite art gallery. It rained for the entire 4 hours I was there, so it was cold and wet and miserable. I did get a slice of free pizza and a free t-shirt. Whoopee!

While manning the booth, we met some very nice and interesting people, we also met some nut jobs.
    Bob Jones U is a religious fundamental university that also has a huge collection of religious art mostly in the Baroque and Rennaisance periods. Everyone connected with the museum was very nice and did not try to proselytize. However that did not stop the hordes of guests that were there.
    One gentleman stopped at our booth and wanted information about the history museum. He had on a shirt from a local restaurant and the girl with me asked him about it. We got in a discussion of restaurants and I reccomended one and he asked me what kind of food and when I said Mediterranian he made a comment about a local eatery called the Pita House that has been here forever and is a great restaurant, but is more along the lines of a lunch counter type. I said it wasn't anything like that, whereupon he said, good because the Pita House was run by Jews! .

Well as it happens, I had eaten there with my daughter the day before and it was after the lunch rush and the owner and I were talking about Isreal and how much its changed, etc. and how sad he is about how things have changed and the violence. He told me he was Catholic and we discussed a recent documentary on "The Last Christians in Bethlehem".
    So I said to Mr. Anti-Semite: "You do know they're Christians there right?"
    He said, but they're from Isreal (as if that means everyone from Isreal is Jewish). I said "No, actually, Isreal has a very significant Christian population and its a common mistake that a LOT of people make that the country is only populated by Muslims and Jews". The look on his face was priceless.
    Then I added the kicker: "the man that runs the Pita House is so nice, he doesn't care what religion anyone is and serves everyone regardless of race, religion or prejudice, you should try it sometime". I couldn't help myself. The man harummphed off. But I can't STAND that kind of behavior.

Then a Ben Franklin re-enactor arrived at our booth and by the time he left I was ready to pay him to leave. He practically did his whole act for us and it was not that good, he was super annoying and had I had any "franklins" on me, I would have paid him to leave us alone. The college age girl with me said: "I've never been accosted by Ben Franklin before". I did tell her that the real Ben did have a fondness for the ladies, but this old coot could take his bad wig and bother someone else.

So then we saw teh BJU art which was impressive. The huge art festival is downtown this weekend, so my daughter and her boyfriend met me and we WALKED (what seemed like 20 miles) from the museum to the festival (forget parking downtown this weekend). Our favorite booth was from a man from California that did parodies of religious art and other famous artists. I loved it. The captions on the paintings were great. I doubt he did much business in super conservative and religious Greenville. My favorite piece was entitled "The Sistine Smackdown". We saw lots of cool art in all types of mediums and had some overpriced food "tastings". I say tastings as no where could you actually buy anything meal size.

Since the art festival is where the park is in my avatar, apparantly that is the destination of choice for the highschools having proms to have their photos taken. I am not lying when I say that I literally saw about 200 prom couples and what were without a doubt the most hideous prom dresses I think I've ever seen. I wanted to say: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????. But it was kind of neat watching all the couples all dressed up until I saw the limos. Not a regular limo in the bunch. All of them were either Ford Excursion Limos, Hummer Limo's and one Lincoln Navigator Limo. After that I was a little disgusted at the excessive waste of money and fuel that kids think they need to spend for ONE night.

We listened to some decent blues, and then walked the 50 miles back to the car and came home.
    It was a fun day, but strange. At least the sun came out around 2pm and made it a beautiful day and evening.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That was a long and strange day, mrd!

I totally have to agree with you about the "gentleman" who was so concerned he might be eating food prepared by Jewish people. I don't care who prepares my food as long as it tastes good, the restaurant is clean, and the service is good.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2933024;
    That was a long and strange day, mrd!

I totally have to agree with you about the "gentleman" who was so concerned he might be eating food prepared by Jewish people. I don't care who prepares my food as long as it tastes good, the restaurant is clean, and the service is good.
    I hate intolerant people (I guess I hate myself too as I'm intolerant of intolerant people. )

I have to admit I felt pretty smug and happy when I deflated his big anti-semite balloon.

I'm like you, I don't care what religion someone is as long as they are not trying to push same on me or harming other people.

If someone from Mars opened a restaurant here, I'd try it and not care what planet they were from or what color they were or if they worshipped cats.

It was a very strange day, but strangely fun at the same time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2932828;
    Amy Lee - Adopt a Dachsund AND 2 cats.....
    Yes!! You need an instant furry family! Never adopt just one pet. They need to have a buddy! Our Humane Society is now allowing 2 for 1 when there are brothers and sister, or moms and kittens! Also for dogs, if they have been together in a home and surrendered. They accept the change better! Also, the SPCA will give an older cat or small dog Free to any senior, so they don't have to pay for the $100 fees. Of course, they are checked out first.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    ..If someone from Mars opened a restaurant here, I'd try it and not care what planet they were from or what color they were or if they worshipped cats.
    I'd go to a restaurant where they worshipped cats!! They could call it The Purrfect Cat Cafe!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2932864;
    . . . about 200 prom couples and what were without a doubt the most hideous prom dresses I think I've ever seen. . .
    It's hard to imagine any prom dresses uglier than those of my era: the mid-1970s.
    . . . the excessive waste of money and fuel that kids think they need to spend for ONE night. . .
    Are you kidding? For the prospect of getting laid?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread