+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Most of them don't even use real key limes, just limes and more sugar with food coloring. Yuck.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2908349;
    And I am one of those that no matter how old I get, I LOVE my birthday. It's the one day that is MINE and I think everyone should have one day that is THEIRS and they get treated like Queen or King for a day.

Did you know that Mt. St. Helen's erupted on my 18th birthday??? (this is a running joke in my family because I apparantly say that anytime Mt. St. Helen's is mentioned) and when I got to visit MSH 2 years ago, I sent a postcard from there home that said: "did you know this erupted on my 18th birthday?". The family was not AS amused as I was by it.
    That's pretty good!

It's funny, I like my birthday best when people don't try to make a big production of it, but rather when I get to spend time with people of my choosing, doing low-key things that I enjoy. I also don't like to share my birthday but every few years, I don't have much of a choice. I was my father's first Father's Day present back in 1983, so every few years, the two coincide again.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2908567;
    "bo-dee-oh-do . . .
    That's a new one on me. Does it mean what I think it means??
    If you're thinking what I'm thinking -- yep! But I can't claim it as my own: I got it from Laverne and Shirley .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2908639;
    This makes me want to contact that Ace of Cakes guy on food network and have them make a urinal shaped cake for your next birthday.

I love that show, but it kills me the price people pay for some of these cakes!
    Me too -- but I would SO pitch in for that! (Especially if it's featured on the show.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I am exhausted! The spring cleaning bug hit me today, and I scrubbed all of our windows inside and out - including the screeens. It just came over me all of a sudden - a beautiful day, nice and warm with a slight breeze - does it to me every year My windows are sparkly and then I baked.

The ladies at my husbands job had been after him to ask me to bake for them again... Now that I am up and around after my surgery, it's time to send in the food! They were all so wonderful to my husband and I while I was recovering, so I sent one of their requests today and will send the other tomorrow. They were so grateful that I was back to it - they sent home the most thoughtful thank-you card.

My Mom and I share our "Birthday Month" in March. Her's is at the begiining and mine as at the end and we always spend a day together doing our "Birthday Shoe Shopping Extravaganza" and having lunch. My parents also always take Mr. Doxie and I out to dinner wherever I want to go. This year, I have managed to extend Birthday Month well into April because I had the flu on my birthday and dinner and shopping had to be postponed. We're going to dinner this weekend though. I turned 40 and, for once, my Dad didn't play any kind of birthday trick on me (probably because I was so sick that I told everyone that I thought I was going to die and then went to bed and stayed there for about a week). Maybe by now, Daddy will have forgotten the big 40 and we'll have a nice dinner with no singing or making me wear a bizarre hat or anything like that!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2909157;
    Most of them don't even use real key limes, just limes and more sugar with food coloring. Yuck.
    You even have to watch the Key Lime juice you buy, because a lot of it is not the real thing! I've also had people tell me "the only Key Limes I ever see in the store are little, ugly things". Yep, those are the real thing, and they are supposed to look like that, on the rare occasion you can actually find them.
    I found this other useless information on a website where I started looking for real Key Lime juice to make a pie after reading this thread. I like the answer to the question about food coloring the best.

Q- What are Key Limes?
    A- Key Limes are a citrus fruit, originally from Asia. They are small and round with a unique bitter tartness that gives them a special taste.

Q- Why are Key Limes called "Key Limes?"
    A- They only grow well in limited zones throughout the world. It just so happens that the Keys are one of those special places. In Mexico, the same species of limes are called Mexican Limes.

Q- Why are some Key Limes "green" and others "yellow?"
    A- The "green" stage is the early stage of ripening and when the Key Limeís flavor is strongest. The "yellow" stage is a final stage of ripening and the flavor is somewhat mellowed. Most people use the Key Lime in the "green" stage.

Q- Can I drink Key Lime Juice straight?
    A- It isnít recommended. Key Limes are very acidic, with a bitter- sourness. It is best blended into foods or drinks or when used as a marinade.

Q- Key West is so small, where do they grow the limes?
    A- In Key West almost everyone has a Key Lime tree a "stones throw" away or in their back yard, but the groves for the industry are in Mexico.

Q- Is it true that the Romans floated Key Lime leaves in their baths?
    A- Yes, they considered them a grooming aid and scented their bath water with the fragrant leaves.

Q- Can I make a Lime pie with generic limes?
    A- Yes, but the texture and flavor will not be the same and most people who have tried it werenít pleased with the end product.

Q- How can I tell a Key Lime tree from other Lime trees?
    A- Easy, Key Lime trees have THORNS, big ones that HURT!

Q- Do I have to cook a Key Lime Pie?
    A- No. The acids (which are high in Key Limes) actually cook the pie itself, but we think a cooked pie is tastier and has a better texture.

Q- What will happen if I put green coloring in a Key Lime Pie?
    A- Besides the color, everyone will know it isnít an authentic Key Lime Pie and they may talk or laugh about it behind your back. Big NO NO!

Q- How long will bottled Key Lime Juice last?
    A- On the shelf, it will turn a brownish color after about 4-6 months, but the juice can still be used, just the color is affected. We recommend that you pour 1/2 cup portions into a freezer bag and freeze it until you need it. Frozen Key Lime juice will last for year
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I did not see who originally posted but the term from LaVerne & Shirley is: Vo-dee-oh-doh-doh

One episode when Laverne De Fazio (Penny Marshall) implied that her roommate Shirley Feeney (Cindy Williams) "Vo-dee-oh-do-dohed." After Shirley insisted she did not "Vo-dee-oh-do-doh" Laverne partially conceded and said "Yeah, but you Vo-de-Ohed!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think I must be one of the few people on the planet who does not give 2 hoots about Key Lime Pie.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2911388;
    I think I must be one of the few people on the planet who does not give 2 hoots about Key Lime Pie.
    I think its a much bigger deal in Florida.

I was just reading a regional cookbook for Florida.
    The main ingredients of course are seafood, including conch chowder and conch fritters, swamp cabbage (hearts of palm), gator tail, frogs legs, turtle soup and of course key lime pie. Although the author did not get it right as they used a whipped cream topping and the original recipe is a meringue topping.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread