+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've always had a month long celebration in my birth month, and my son's birth month. Pedicures every time it even crosses my mind!! After going through labor with him, I figure I have really earned the right to celebrate in his birth month, too! I start on the first of the month and it goes through until the very last day, and neither of us was born anywhere near the first day of the month! We just indulge ourselves....like you say....life is too short not to....it's not my fault he's not been here for the past 4-5 years ...OK, maybe it is. Honestly, I deny myself nothing 2 months out of a year. I was a hard worker, and I deserved it!!

And, I made it a policy to never work on my birthday, by hook or by crook! We had paid sick leave and accumulated vacation days. I never advertised that my day was coming, so if I suddenly developed a "health issue"...like I was sick of working and needed a break, it wasn't bizarre...and somebody got to make a bundle of extra money! Strange how I was over being "sick and tired" within a day or two! I seldom called in sick, so it worked. Refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2907928;
    Oh, I LOVE that! I'm gonna try to pull that one on my hubby when it's my birthday. (Actually, that so darn funny and clever that I'll probably break down and tell hubby about it, and then he'll use it on me -- not for getting out of doing stuff, but for extra presents or treats or "bo-dee-oh-do" -- for his birthday later this month!)
    That's a new one on me. Does it mean what I think it means??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2908534;
    I was served urinal cake for my last birthday
    Mmmm, minty!

I'm pretty uncomfortable with office birthday shenanigans so each year I politely request that there's no singing at lunch and no big deal. So far my co-workers have respected my wishes and I'm extremely grateful.

That's too funny that about your daughter and her birthday, MRD. At our house if the birthday cake thing was in effect, it would be birthdays for a month (we're not big on sweets, or I'm not and my poor kids suffer for it).
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2908534;
    I was served urinal cake for my last birthday
    This makes me want to contact that Ace of Cakes guy on food network and have them make a urinal shaped cake for your next birthday.

I love that show, but it kills me the price people pay for some of these cakes!

Shay, I think the term you should use for taking a sick day for your birthday is that you need a "mental health day".

I have a friend that teaches and she takes a "mental health day" on her birthday. Which is on Mon. as a matter of fact.

I once had a friend that sent his mother-in-law flowers on his wife's birthday to "thank her for having her daughter who became his wife". I always thought that was so sweet (and earns brownie points with MIL at the same time. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just got off the phone with the IRS....on hold for 10 minutes and supposedly the direct deposit account number was wrong (which makes no sense because state had the same number copied from the federal return and it is in the account) so they have to wait for the bank to kick the deposit back and then the IRS will issue a check. Can you say June or July???!!! Argh. I talked to the bank and they said they hadn't received anything so now I'm a little unclear as to what to do. Should I wait until next week, call the bank again and explain the situation? How would they even begin to search that?
    Yup, with donuts!!

I always treat April as a birthday month - Mr. Rattus at the beginning, Rattus at the end, the entire northern hemisphere through the whole thing. I love, love, love my birthday, not for receiving stuff but for the guilt-free feeling of getting Mr. Rattus to do something that he wouldn't otherwise particularly enjoy doing (though he does always end up enjoying himself). This year I have it narrowed down to two options - a visit to my absolutely favourite antique market, or a bike ride, picnic and shop browse through a quaint nearby village. There will also be, on the Saturday beforehand, a nacho dinner with a movie or two. And while discussing the upcoming festivities with Mr. Rattus last night, he asked if I would like something special for dessert, and he would order it from Altitude Bakery (the only place that's ever made a pumpkin pie I can tolerage). I'm not entirely sure why he can't remember that given a dessert choice I will always pick Key Lime pie, but I am quite gladdened that he is willing to make some sort of effort this year. He's such a sweetie.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2908650;
    I just got off the phone with the IRS....on hold for 10 minutes and supposedly the direct deposit account number was wrong (which makes no sense because state had the same number copied from the federal return and it is in the account) so they have to wait for the bank to kick the deposit back and then the IRS will issue a check. Can you say June or July???!!! Argh. I talked to the bank and they said they hadn't received anything so now I'm a little unclear as to what to do. Should I wait until next week, call the bank again and explain the situation? How would they even begin to search that?
    Only 10 min. on the phone? I've spent several hours of my life this year on the phone AND IN the IRS office trying to get duplicate 1099 forms.

What a pain in the rear. I hope they work it out soon Buglover.

Rattus, enjoy your key lime pie. My grandmother used to make the BEST ones. She had a key lime tree in her yard and her pies have spoiled me for anyone else's key lime pie. It's just not the same.
    Since it is April, happy birthday month to you and Mr. Rattus.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2908639;
    Shay, I think the term you should use for taking a sick day for your birthday is that you need a "mental health day".

Actually, with HIPAA, I don't really have to cite anything at all. "I'm sick." will do. Actually, one of the guys I would call would never put what was wrong on the paper, anyway. My kind of man!! He'd say, "I'm not telling your business!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member

I just read what happened to Nemeses. Please let her know she is in my prayers and I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Well Happy Birthday to everyone with April birthdays!! I love April. Spring is springing and the sun is melting all the snow and ice. And there's little green things trying so very hard to sprout out of the ground.

I love Key Lime Pie. Did you know, the first Key Lime Pie was created in the 1850's. There were very few cows on the Keys of Florida in those days. The advent of sweetened condensed milk in 1856 was a real boon to the residents of the Keys. It was a natural reaction to combine the new product with the limes into a pie. The original pies had a pastry crust, of course, but the graham cracker crust dates back at least to 1949. Refrigeration didn't exist, so the condensed milk was what made this pie so popular to make!

Beware those Key lime pies tinted green. They are most likely not the real thing. I have posted the Heirloom Key Lime Pie Recipe in the recipe's thread for anyone who's interested.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Yep real key lime pies are pale, pale yellow when not made with food coloring to make them green.

My grandmother ALWAYS made hers in a pastry crust with a meringue topping. It was delicious.

My great-great-great grandparents emigrated from the Bahamas (family from England originally) to Key West in the 1850's and from there later moved to South Central Florida. Key West was once one of the most wealthy cities in Florida and a bustling port.

Thanks for posting that info Miss Kitty. I always see these green key lime pies with whipped cream topping and always think they are just imposters.

+ Reply to Thread