+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6169Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

In my experience, the smell is worse in port-a-potties than in outhouses.

All the port-a-potties I've been in are made of that plastic or whatever stuff that allows light to shine through. When the sun bakes on those things, they get very warm, which makes the smell worse. Outhouses (or latrines) are normally made of wood (from my vast experience!!!) and it doesn't get as hot. I'd take a latrine with spiders over a port-a-pottie any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2900345;
    They're not so bad as long as you don't go in with high expectations.
    My expectations aren't that high, but unfortunately they're not that low either.

I'd take a latrine with spiders over a port-a-pottie any day of the week.
    I'll take nothing with spiders, thank you very much .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Oh, come on - live on the wild side, Rattus! You haven't lived until you go to the latrine, reach around for that TP, and see a spider sitting there staring at you!!

at this discussion on portapotties/out houses. I've had a lot of experiences with both as a girlscout and grandniece of the family matriarch with no indoor plumbing, and camping as a family, and lifeguard at state parks. I was half-way through my business in a latrine at girlscout camp when a movement behind the wastebasket alerted me to the fact that I shared that small space with a copperhead! (poisonous snake). Luckily I'm not scared of snakes and knew that my best bet was to move slowly and not alarm it. The best portapotty I've used was a wheelchair accessable one at the beach last summer. Larger than most, so dispersed the smell, I guess.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2900519;
    My expectations aren't that high, but unfortunately they're not that low either.

I would rather find a bush in the woods to go behind than to use a portapotty or latrine or outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2900573;
    at this discussion on portapotties/out houses. I've had a lot of experiences with both as a girlscout and grandniece of the family matriarch with no indoor plumbing, and camping as a family, and lifeguard at state parks. I was half-way through my business in a latrine at girlscout camp when a movement behind the wastebasket alerted me to the fact that I shared that small space with a copperhead! (poisonous snake). Luckily I'm not scared of snakes and knew that my best bet was to move slowly and not alarm it. The best portapotty I've used was a wheelchair accessable one at the beach last summer. Larger than most, so dispersed the smell, I guess.
    I think I would have been all the way through with my business once I saw the copperhead. Most snakes don't bother me, but poisonous ones do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know my business would have been done with me if I'd seen a snake during! Lots of years, we'd go heavy duty camping (where you dig your own latrine). I appreciated those more than any state sanctioned latrine. And you dig more than one in a week, and carefully fill it in after using. The thought of sitting over a hole and falling in,.......I finally figured out why my parents always laughed when I'd say that-my butt was too big to fall in!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nutella friends....the spoon won out!!! Thanks, everybody! It is so great to have somewhere to come to get general information.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Duxxy I think that frying pan story is just too adorable.

I've used many a port-a-potty at rock concerts during my youth, and there is a trick to it. Hold your breath as long as possible! I got so good eventually I could usually get in and out without taking a breath. And whatever else you do, don't sit down or look down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2900573;
    Oh my god, Gut, a copperhead?? I cannot imagine, but I think I would have either shrieked, fainted or run a five minute mile out of there with my pants down. I am positively terrified of garter snakes, let alone anything bigger or scarier, and I think that would have put me off of latrines, portapotties, and any bathroom which seems... critter friendly, for life.

Spiders, I can handle. Snakes, I absolutely cannot.

Heck, once I was on the treadmill at the gym and caught sight of a snake on an adjacent tv, and I damn near fell off.

+ Reply to Thread