+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7294Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2887418;
    My daughter has decided to go to cosmotology school which I think she will be very good at. Her "plan" is to go to school, work for a bit and then take college classes towards a business degree and own her own salon one day.

But I digress. We went to the school today to get haircuts (btw, one of the best cuts I think I've had) and there was a senior citizen getting a set and she was so cute. She had a crowd of students around her at all times (I think because she was just so happy and full of life) and when she was finished, almost every student in there made a point of going over and complimenting her. When her home health aide wheeled her out (she was in a wheel chair and it was obvious she has difficulty getting around), she was RADIANT. She smiled at me as they went past and I also told her how nice she looked. She left there feeling like a queen.

My daughter and I were talking about it later and my daughter was saying that since both her stylist and mine were telling us about how many hours they have to have doing cuts, perms, colors, etc. and sometimes how hard it is to get "live" people, that my daughter wants to suggest to the staff that maybe they could take "field trips" to nursing homes to work on the patients. I thought it was a great idea. I know that taking that kind of show on the road may be hard, but what a great way to do something nice for those in nursing homes and also help the students get in their hours and the required types of things they need to do.

Seems like it would be a win-win situation for all.

I know a lot of seniors are on fixed incomes and those in homes sometimes can't leave, but how much nicer it would be to have an occasional hair do. I know it makes me feel good and I think it would the residents of the facilities.

I thought it was a great idea of my daughter's as well.
    I think that is a fantastic idea!! Definitely win/win all the way around! And that doesn't include the great feeling they will get by doing something for the elderly! Great job raising that kid, Rosie.

Edited because apparently I can no longer spell...

I think a lot of these places already have their own in-house salons though. At least around here they do.

My youngest daughter will be 17 in May but when she was young, she was in and out of the hospital a lot due to kidney problems. The pediatric wing was right next to the geriatric wing and there was one room set up as a salon for the inpatients to get their hair done! That was something I had never even thought about. Some of the older ladies were in the hospital for long stays, and having the opportunity to get their hair done was such a nicety for them.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2887571;
    I think a lot of these places already have their own in-house salons though. At least around here they do.

My youngest daughter will be 17 in May but when she was young, she was in and out of the hospital a lot due to kidney problems. The pediatric wing was right next to the geriatric wing and there was one room set up as a salon for the inpatients to get their hair done! That was something I had never even thought about. Some of the older ladies were in the hospital for long stays, and having the opportunity to get their hair done was such a nicety for them.
    It depends on the facility. My neighbor (one of the good ones) has her dad in a facility where hair stylists come in and do the work in a room already set up. So it seems to me like the students could do that as well. If the room is there and they contract out the services, why not contract it out to the school? The school charges a LOT less than regular stylists, and even in the nursing home, you have to pay for the work, because my grandmother still had to pay for the services when she got her hair done and when my dad got the bill he hit the roof as it was EXPENSIVE-his mother was having it billed to him and she was taking FULL advantage of ALL the salon services. . Not a lot of seniors can afford that. So it still seems to me like it ought to be a good idea.

BTW, dad had a talk with her and they finally agreed on how often and what she could have done. She was going in for twice weekly manicures and pedicures and once a week hair. He told her he would pay for a manicure a week, a pedicure a month and a hair set a week. I think she was bored, but then again, this is how she lived before the home, but she used to pay for it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, I think having the students find a nursing home (or maybe even assisted living) would be a great idea. If the facilities in your area already have a contract with another service, maybe the students can ask if they can still work on people who otherwise couldn't afford to use the facilities services.

I just finished a CNA course at a nursing home and there was one woman who was pretty mobile and was just as happy as can be on the days she got her hair done. I assisted her with bathing and she wanted us to be careful since she just had it done.

I also thought it was a great idea that a pet therapy organization comes in once a week.

MRD

You know a good bath and having your hair done can do wonders for making you feel better!!!!

I think I'd rather have the pets visiting me!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2888035;
    I think I'd rather have the pets visiting me!
    I used to think that I would like to do pet therapy with my dogs. But now I think not. They just cannot behave and Waldo can't ride in the car.

Ok, I'll just come and visit with your animals! They'll love me! And they'll accept my hugs!

On another note, I have to learn to be a girly-girl by May. Any suggestions? I've got my dresses for the rehearsal dinner and wedding/reception. I just got a hair cut that I think will grow out to be a good hair style for the wedding (or should I say, by the wedding). I'm planning to get a pedicure and manicure a few days before. I think I've got my jewelry done. I still need shoes. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2888230;
    Ok, I'll just come and visit with your animals! They'll love me! And they'll accept my hugs!

On another note, I have to learn to be a girly-girl by May. Any suggestions? I've got my dresses for the rehearsal dinner and wedding/reception. I just got a hair cut that I think will grow out to be a good hair style for the wedding (or should I say, by the wedding). I'm planning to get a pedicure and manicure a few days before. I think I've got my jewelry done. I still need shoes. Any other suggestions?
    Coming from another non-girly girl, it sounds like you have it covered. Just make sure your make-up is stocked (or pay to have someone do it) and you should be good to go! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2888230;
    On another note, I have to learn to be a girly-girl by May. Any suggestions? ........................ I still need shoes. Any other suggestions?
    Since you aren't a girly-girl, if you aren't used to heels, be careful what you buy. Once you do buy them, walk in them lots.
    Last edited by veejer; 04-02-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: My brain short-circuited.

+ Reply to Thread