+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7124Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

It's still easy to live on disability there. You can never live here on what the government pays you. Sad that we must retreat to foreign countries to survive when we cannot work anymore.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

So you're saying we not only outsource jobs, but we also outsource our disabled folks and retirees? Never heard anyone address this. Interesting!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lol prhoshay! We don't outsource our disabled folks, they choose to leave because we just don't make it easy for them to be here! Canada too....they tend to flock to Mexico although I think it is more for the climate than the money issue.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2867076;
    It's still easy to live on disability there. You can never live here on what the government pays you. Sad that we must retreat to foreign countries to survive when we cannot work anymore.
    And that especially goes for our Veterans. 100% VA disability is around $2500 a month. That does NOT go far these days. And there are a LOT of disabled vets that get anywhere from $430 a month to $2500 depending on what percentage they are disabled. That MIGHT support a single person if they were very, very frugal, but it is NOT going to support a family.

My husband is trying to get his disability reviewed and raised as he's now having all kinds of problems stemming from his original injury. He applied, was seen by the VA doctor 1 year ago t his month and the VA doctor confirmed that he is indeed worse and was reccomending a raise in his level of disability. He's gotten letters that his case is under review, but it's still been a year. Only good thing is that if he is approved for an increase, it's retroactive to the date he applied in March 07.
    He is on 30% now. But as he's gotten older, the arthritis and other problems are getting increasingly worse and are interferring with his daily life and work.
    Who knows how long we'll have to wait though. If and that's a BIG if, he were to get it raised to 100%, maybe we could retire to Mexico or Costa Rica or somewhere like that. More than likely, it will only go to 50%.

Interesting side note: The military likes to discharge soldiers and let the VA declare them disabled. That way the money comes out of the VA budget. It is rare and hard to get medically discharged from the military as that comes out of the defence budget and instead of just getting the disability, the medical discharge also enables the vet to get base privileges like commisary, PX, etc. So they try to ship everyone that is hurt to the VA instead of giving a medical discharge. VA disability doesn't come with commissary privileges, darn it!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We don't treat our soldiers very well period. It's very sad. They are heroes until they are discharged due to injury or even just retirement and then it's like they just don't exist anymore. Not to mention how little the family gets should their soldier die in the line of duty. We are an ass backward country to say the least.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2867107;
    We don't treat our soldiers very well period. It's very sad. They are heroes until they are discharged due to injury or even just retirement and then it's like they just don't exist anymore. Not to mention how little the family gets should their soldier die in the line of duty. We are an ass backward country to say the least.
    Yep, its sad how they get treated. And it's not like they join for the pay either or the benefits. My husband said that there were enlisted men he knew when he was in the army, with families living on base housing that were eligible for food stamps because their pay was so little they couldn't fully support their families. Now that is truly sad.

And then they get so mistreated and pushed aside once they are discharged.
    Going to a VA hospital is truly an interesting experience. Sad, frustrating, but then again, some of the men and women there are very interesting to talk too.
    But the VA is so overwhelmed that getting care is hard. Long waiting lists.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Alberta will increase minimum wage to $8.40 per hour on April 1st. But you can work at McDonalds for $10/hr. We are short workers, but there's no place to live. Rental vacancy is less than 1% and forget about buying anything; real estate has increased 200%. There's not enough low-income housing either. I hate it when the province booms. The economy doesn't help mid-to low income earners, senior citizens, students, or those on disability. A lot of people are moving out to Saskatchewan where it is cheaper to live.

I'm sure I could live better in Mexico on my disability. But my family is here, and I honestly do not trust the Mexican police or government. So many Canadians have been murdered or put in jail without cause. I won't even go there for a vacation anymore.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It helps when you have someone who has either lived there or has family there in Mexico. I agree, most areas are scary for tourists. The small town we are looking into is a really safe town and the police there are friends with everyone. Big cities are a no-no for anyone, including citizens.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Someone actually suggested to me that i get a studio apartment, the thought alone(though cheap) gives me claustrophobia.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2868292;
    Someone actually suggested to me that i get a studio apartment, the thought alone(though cheap) gives me claustrophobia.
    When I was a graduate student in New York in the early 1990's , I shared a 195 square foot dorm room with another student. We each had to pay $600 a month. A studio would have been a blessing.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread